mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-11-02, 04:19   #1
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts
Default Dual Riesel problem

I've been told(they might be wrong) that another equivalent to the Riesel conjecture(For k*2^n-1 k=509203 is the smallest k for which n always yields a composite) is the dual Riesel conjecture(same thing, but the formula is 2^n-k.)

I was wondering if there was a legal(I can't use Primo legally) way to check a k/n pair of that form for primality without taking an overly long amount of time.

Thanks in advance.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 16:34   #2
philmoore
 
philmoore's Avatar
 
"Phil"
Sep 2002
Tracktown, U.S.A.

5·223 Posts
Default

Do probable prime tests first, which will eliminate the vast majority of composites. Perhaps if you have some interesting probable primes, someone on the forum who can legally run Primo might check some candidates for you.
philmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 19:28   #3
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25×149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmoore View Post
Do probable prime tests first, which will eliminate the vast majority of composites. Perhaps if you have some interesting probable primes, someone on the forum who can legally run Primo might check some candidates for you.
Sure...
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 21:55   #4
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default

2^690-9221
2^72-23669
2^1428-23669
2^153-26773
2^60-31859
2^133-38473
2^493-38473
2^51-40597
2^135-40597
2^361-46663
2^83-67117
2^146-81041
2^360-93839
2^480-93839
2^528-93839
2^1080-93839
2^140-97139
2^1451-107347
2^81-113983
2^273-113983
2^329-113983
2^585-113983
2^1905-113983
2^179-114487
2^219-114487
2^539-114487
2^40-121889
2^1328-121889
2^122-141941
2^314-141941
2^638-146561
2^520-161669
2^1178-162941
2^224-191249
2^182-192971
2^61-215443
2^1221-215443
2^37-226153
2^1909-226153
2^97-234343
2^337-234343
2^1090-245561
2^47-250027
2^42-252191
2^60-273809
2^456-273809
2^121-275293
2^1069-275293
2^1741-275293
2^684-315929
2^884-315929
2^306-319511
2^1170-319511
2^50-324011
2^554-324011
2^49-325123
2^265-325123
2^1524-336839
2^69-342673
2^405-342673
2^1628-353159
2^72-362609
2^128-362609
2^457-364903
2^312-365159
2^912-365159
2^1552-365159
2^1624-365159
2^214-368411
2^96-402539
2^496-402539
2^588-402539
2^37-409753
2^61-409753
2^343-415267
2^431-415267
2^887-415267
2^1231-415267
2^63-450457
2^303-450457
2^511-450457
2^895-450457
2^1732-469949
2^129-470173
2^381-470173
2^633-470173
2^46-474491
2^358-474491
2^718-474491
2^958-474491
2^1758-474491
2^291-485557
2^1911-485557
2^83-485767
2^105-494743
Thanks in advance :)
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 22:28   #5
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

22×859 Posts
Default

Jason, all these numbers can be shown to be prime (or not) using Pari/GP function isprime(). I've just tried the largest and it took about 2 seconds on a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz using half its CPU resources...

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2006-11-02 at 22:29
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 22:42   #6
philmoore
 
philmoore's Avatar
 
"Phil"
Sep 2002
Tracktown, U.S.A.

5·223 Posts
Default

Has some program such as pfgw said that these are all probable primes? Actually, I would think that pfgw would be able to show that most are actually prime, not just probable prime. Another possibility is Tony Forbes' VFYPR, which uses the APRCL algorithm, although I have not used it:
http://www.ltkz.demon.co.uk/ar2/vfypr.htm
He says that numbers up to around 3300 digits may be tested with it.

This dual Riesel project is something that I think Payam Samidoost was interested in, but I don't think he ever got a web-page for it off the ground. Of course, only one prime is needed for each k to eliminate it. Of the 69 remaining k's how many have no known dual prime?

Last fiddled with by philmoore on 2006-11-02 at 22:43
philmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 23:34   #7
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmoore View Post
This dual Riesel project is something that I think Payam Samidoost was interested in, but I don't think he ever got a web-page for it off the ground. Of course, only one prime is needed for each k to eliminate it. Of the 69 remaining k's how many have no known dual prime?
Attempting to find "dual" primes for the last 69 k's is my goal. Probably won't prove anything, but it's fun to try.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 18:14   #8
MooooMoo
Apprentice Crank
 
MooooMoo's Avatar
 
Mar 2006

11·41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmoore View Post
This dual Riesel project is something that I think Payam Samidoost was interested in, but I don't think he ever got a web-page for it off the ground. Of course, only one prime is needed for each k to eliminate it. Of the 69 remaining k's how many have no known dual prime?
Check out this site: http://sierpinski.insider.com/riesel

It hasn't been updated for years, though.
MooooMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 03:13   #9
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default

Here are my results for the left over ks:
Code:
123547 2^7-123547
342847 tested to 100000----------------------------sieved 100K-500K
397027 2^19-397027 
444637 tested to 10000-------------------------------
2293   tested to 100000-------------------------- 
9221   2^6-9221
23669  2^72-23669(pr)(testing)(prime)
26773  2^9-26773
31859  2^12-31859
38473  2^133-38473(pr)(prime)
40597  2^15-40597
46663  2^361-46663(pr)(testing)(prime)
65531  2^16-65531
67117  2^83-67117(pr)(prime)
74699  2^2372-74699(pr)(prime)
81041  2^26-81041
93839  2^360-93839(pr)(prime)
97139  2^20-97139
107347 2^3-107347
113983 2^81-113983
114487 2^3-114487
121889 2^8-121889
129007 2^7-129007
141941 2^2-141941 
143047 2^2267-143047(pr)(prime)
146561 2^638-146561(pr)(prime)
161669 2^520-161669(pr)(prime)
162941 2^2-162941
191249 2^224-191249(pr)(prime)
192971 2^182-192971
196597 tested to 100000-------------------------------
206039 2^8-206039
206231 2^22-206231
215443 2^61-215443(pr)(prime)
226153 2^37-226153(pr)(prime)
234343 2^1-234343
245561 2^1090-245561(pr)(prime)
250027 2^47-250027(pr)(prime)
252191 2^42-252191(pr)(prime)
273809 2^12-273809
275293 2^25-275293
304207 tested to 100000----------------------------------
315929 2^684-315929(pr)(prime)
319511 2^18-319511
324011 2^14-324011
325123 2^49-325123(pr)(prime)
327671 2^2-327671
336839 2^4-336839
342673 2^69-342673(pr)(prime)
344759 tested to 100000---------------------------------
353159 2^1628-353159(pr)(prime)
362609 2^8-362609
363343 2^13957-363343(pr)====================================================
364903 2^457-364903(pr)(prime)
365159 2^16-365159
368411 2^22-368411
371893 2^21-371893
384539 2^32672-384539(pr)================================================
386801 tested to 100000-----------------------------
398023 2^21-398023
402539 2^28-402539
409753 2^37-409753(pr)(prime)
415267 2^343-415267(pr)(prime)
428639 2^8684-428639(pr)(testing in 2)
450457 2^63-450457(pr)(prime)
469949 2^1732-469949(pr)(prime)
470173 2^21-470173
474491 2^46-474491
477583 2^5-477583
485557 2^291-485557
485767 2^11-485767
494743 2^105-494743
502573 2^13-502573
I don't think it's worthwhile to test any further, unless you simply want to find probable primes. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible to test these numbers except in their "general" form. If I'm wrong, someone please post.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2007-03-03 at 03:15
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-03, 17:00   #10
sweety439
 
sweety439's Avatar
 
Nov 2016

92416 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Here are my results for the left over ks:
Code:
123547 2^7-123547
342847 tested to 100000----------------------------sieved 100K-500K
397027 2^19-397027 
444637 tested to 10000-------------------------------
2293   tested to 100000-------------------------- 
9221   2^6-9221
23669  2^72-23669(pr)(testing)(prime)
26773  2^9-26773
31859  2^12-31859
38473  2^133-38473(pr)(prime)
40597  2^15-40597
46663  2^361-46663(pr)(testing)(prime)
65531  2^16-65531
67117  2^83-67117(pr)(prime)
74699  2^2372-74699(pr)(prime)
81041  2^26-81041
93839  2^360-93839(pr)(prime)
97139  2^20-97139
107347 2^3-107347
113983 2^81-113983
114487 2^3-114487
121889 2^8-121889
129007 2^7-129007
141941 2^2-141941 
143047 2^2267-143047(pr)(prime)
146561 2^638-146561(pr)(prime)
161669 2^520-161669(pr)(prime)
162941 2^2-162941
191249 2^224-191249(pr)(prime)
192971 2^182-192971
196597 tested to 100000-------------------------------
206039 2^8-206039
206231 2^22-206231
215443 2^61-215443(pr)(prime)
226153 2^37-226153(pr)(prime)
234343 2^1-234343
245561 2^1090-245561(pr)(prime)
250027 2^47-250027(pr)(prime)
252191 2^42-252191(pr)(prime)
273809 2^12-273809
275293 2^25-275293
304207 tested to 100000----------------------------------
315929 2^684-315929(pr)(prime)
319511 2^18-319511
324011 2^14-324011
325123 2^49-325123(pr)(prime)
327671 2^2-327671
336839 2^4-336839
342673 2^69-342673(pr)(prime)
344759 tested to 100000---------------------------------
353159 2^1628-353159(pr)(prime)
362609 2^8-362609
363343 2^13957-363343(pr)====================================================
364903 2^457-364903(pr)(prime)
365159 2^16-365159
368411 2^22-368411
371893 2^21-371893
384539 2^32672-384539(pr)================================================
386801 tested to 100000-----------------------------
398023 2^21-398023
402539 2^28-402539
409753 2^37-409753(pr)(prime)
415267 2^343-415267(pr)(prime)
428639 2^8684-428639(pr)(testing in 2)
450457 2^63-450457(pr)(prime)
469949 2^1732-469949(pr)(prime)
470173 2^21-470173
474491 2^46-474491
477583 2^5-477583
485557 2^291-485557
485767 2^11-485767
494743 2^105-494743
502573 2^13-502573
I don't think it's worthwhile to test any further, unless you simply want to find probable primes. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible to test these numbers except in their "general" form. If I'm wrong, someone please post.
Are there any newer status (or any large (probable) primes) of this problem? e.g. for the dual Sierpinski problem, there are many large (probable) primes:

Code:
2^16389+67607
2^21954+77899
2^22464+63691
2^24910+62029
2^25563+22193
2^26795+57083
2^26827+77783
2^28978+34429
2^29727+20273
2^31544+19081
2^33548+ 4471
2^38090+47269
2^56366+39079
2^61792+21661
2^73360+10711
2^73845+14717
2^103766+17659
2^104095+7013
2^105789+48527
2^139964+35461
2^148227+60443
2^176177+60947
2^304015+64133
2^308809+37967
2^551542+19249
2^983620+60451
2^1191375+8543
2^1518191+75353
2^2249255+28433
2^4583176+2131
2^5146295+41693
2^9092392+40291
sweety439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-03, 17:04   #11
sweety439
 
sweety439's Avatar
 
Nov 2016

22·32·5·13 Posts
Default

Also, should we allow negative primes? If so, then the smallest remain k is 2293, otherwise, it is 1871.
sweety439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The reverse Sierpinski/Riesel problem sweety439 sweety439 20 2020-07-03 17:22
The dual Sierpinski/Riesel problem sweety439 sweety439 12 2017-12-01 21:56
Dual Sierpinski/Riesel prime sweety439 Conjectures 'R Us 0 2016-12-07 15:01
Fun with the SOB and Riesel Sieve problem jasong jasong 1 2007-07-23 06:29
P4 dual core problem tholloway Hardware 5 2006-10-28 20:16

All times are UTC. The time now is 09:53.

Tue Oct 20 09:53:39 UTC 2020 up 40 days, 7:04, 0 users, load averages: 3.34, 2.00, 1.66

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.