Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > LaurV

Old 2019-08-31, 05:21   #1
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,963 Posts
Default Job needed?

Now, we are not the most skilled guy in the world, you know that (we are sure you know it!), and sometimes we have stupid questions. You know that either, , but this time we do not mean stupid questions we ask on this forum, but "real" stupid questions related to our work.

We read datasheets, we try to do it, but it still does not work. Sometimes we find bugs in our work, kill them, then things work. Sometimes we find bugs in the docs, or in the libraries provided by the chip vendors, and we try to reason with them. With the chip vendors and manufacturers, I mean. You can not reason with the bugs, they are not reasonable things. But the chip manufacturers are willing to listen. We are even praised for such stuff, sometimes. We print the praise and put it on the wall so everybody could see it. Well, not really, but it boosts our morale for a while...

Sometimes we find neither, and things get ugly and we need to ask people who know. Which people we find on the web. The web is full of people who know everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. But these people do not mix with mortals, they like to congregate together and stay together, on secret places called "specialized forums" or so.

So, we go to specialized forums, make an account, and ask our stupid (for them) questions.

Making an account is a must, and as we have nothing to hide (don't tell that to Retina!), we give some real details about us, like the email account (needed for account activation by email confirmation, too lazy to make a thousand fake accounts, in fact we have them but always forget the passwords... generally we have a good memory, but we forgot where we put it), profession, or the company we work for.

Sometimes some guys make fun of us for our stupid questions.

Sometimes, in fact most of the times, some guys don't give a fLIck.

But sometimes some guys provide really valuable help.

After a while, we got enough credentials to be able to reply to other people's stupid questions.

Yes! You really do get credentials for asking stupid questions, and you soon find out people have questions more stupid than yours, as George Carlin used to say, “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that”.

So, after a while, we got enough credentials to be able to reply to other people's stupid questions (did I say this already?). But to be able to do that, you have to fill first a form, where you specify, beside of your personal details, the domains you are not totally stupid in, so you can provide valuable feedback to the community. They also ask you, in this form, if you are interested in a better job, according with your skill and experience.

We do not really look for a job, unless that new job will move us to South Australia, and of course not doing things very different of what we do here, and not getting less money for it, for which together, the chances are extremely slim, especially for a site which is not Australian based (we checked their offers in the past, just for fun, and it was nothing we could be interested, location-wise, mostly is US, Europe, Hong kong, etc), but you never know where the luck is lurking in the dark, and may jump on you, so we checked "yes" for that box.

One of the boxes we do not like to fill is "what are your (daily/weekly/whatever the question may be formulated) responsibilities". This INDEED is a STUPID question. No joke. How do you fill this box? We do many things, hardware and firmware related, and we can't really chose which is more important than other, and our responsibilities may shift with periods, new projects, personal mood, mood of the boss, mood of the wife, mood of the neighbor's cat... We could copy some paragraphs from the web (just access the occupation lists from DV lottery, or any .gov or job site which has them) but what the point would be?

We are not really looking for a job, as said, we only wanted to be altruist in a rainy Saturday morning during our coffee break, and provide to that poor soul the guidance he was lusting for, especially when the question was exactly in our domain, and we knew the answer for real, and the question went unanswered for a week or so... (well, yes, we live in a quite particular niche of technology ).

So, we choose, inspired from Frank's avatar on this forum, to fill the box exactly with the following "at least 5 daily responsibilities" required:

Quote:
1. wake up early in the morning to arrive at job in time, otherwise the boss may get angry
2. survive at job during the day
3. arrive home in time in the evening otherwise the wife may get angry
4. survive at home during the evening
5. go back to bed
Guess what? We already got 6 job offers, two of them quite tempting...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2019-08-31 at 09:26
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-31, 05:47   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

134018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
... and as we have nothing to hide (don't tell that to Retina!),
Quote:
So, we choose the answer inspired from Frank's avatar, and we filled the box exactly with the following "at least 5 daily responsibilities" reqired:
Quote:
1. wake up early in the morning to arrive at job in time, otherwise the boss may get angry
2. survive at job during the day
3. arrive home in time in the evening otherwise the wife may get angry
4. survive at home during the evening
5. go back to bed
Guess what? We already got 6 job offers, two of them quite tempting...
It might surprise you what people put in those type of boxes. Many people try too hard and make ridiculous claims. Like claiming to be the sole person responsible for the whole company etc. They are just morons that think others are too stupid to realise they are talking nonsense.

So yes, your response will easily put you in near the top in the class of not-being-an-egotistical-idiot. Which shouldn't be hard to do but so many people can't seem to figure it out.

When I hire minions I don't even ask what their qualifications are. I just want people willing to learn and to work. We can figure out the best fit later. When I fire minions it is usually because they are lazy, dishonest or just think they are better than everyone else.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-31, 06:10   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,963 Posts

Thanks for giving me the "20 minutes of grace" to correct my typos, hehe, however, for one of them I was too slow and you quoted it ("reqired"). (much later edit: I also modified that a bit, to be clearer, but won't touch your post, to change the quote, otherwise you'll blame me later that I modified your meaning... I know you...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
When I hire minions
Huh? Are you hiring your minions? I was sure you are cloning them, or something... (I really love the Despicable Me movie, with genetically engineered minions, what a pity they screwed it up by making the sequels, with minions coming from the history times...)
Quote:
I don't even ask what their qualifications are. I just want people willing to learn and to work. We can figure out the best fit later. When I fire minions it is usually because they are lazy, dishonest or just think they are better than everyone else.
Are you hiring now? Seriously! I am going to apply. Or better not, I am still thinking... Maybe if you give up the part with "think they are better than everyone else"... Otherwise the "minion" concept, as we have seen them, yellow, banana-look-like, mean, but in a funny way, etc... will be lost...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2019-08-31 at 09:29
Old 2019-08-31, 06:28   #4
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

3·19·79 Posts

Quote:
Are you hiring now? Seriously! I am going to apply. ...
It would shock me if Retina's lair is located in South Australia. You may have to keep looking!
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-31, 06:51   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,963 Posts

Haha, you may know something we don't.

The thing about SA (for who doesn't know already) is because the little miss LaurV decided there is her future (she will graduate from Flinders this year in December, with high distinctions, and quite good job opportunities)... and nobody can stop us of dreaming about rocking grandchildren soon...
(hopefully she'll want us in her life, at least for rocking babies, but nowadays you can't be sure of anything).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2019-08-31 at 06:52
Old 2019-08-31, 08:06   #6
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

3×13×151 Posts

Quote:
Huh? Are you hiring your minions? I was sure you are cloning them, or something...
At least I can only publicly say I "hire" them.
Quote:
Are you hiring now? Seriously! I am going to apply. Or better not, I am still thinking... Maybe if you give up the part with "think they are better than everyone else"... Otherwise the "minion" concept, as we have seen them, yellow, banana-look-like, mean, but in a funny way, etc... will be lost...
I am always hiring. Are you good at designing cloning machines stealing nuclear weapons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
It would shock me if Retina's lair is located in South Australia.
My lair is located within 20,000km of SA. So you are quite close.
Old 2019-08-31, 08:43   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,963 Posts

Quote:
I don't even ask what their qualifications are
Quote:
Are you good at ...<snip>...?

Old 2019-08-31, 08:46   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

134018 Posts

Quote:
Qualifications != experience
Old 2019-08-31, 09:17   #9
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,963 Posts

Quote:
Qualifications != experience
What experience? You didn't ask if I was stealing nuclear weapons for the last 30 years or so, you just asked me if I am good at it.Well, this is 'skill', which is much closer to qualification. Albeit they can have nothing in common (I had colleagues who graduated same like me or better and they were not able to plug a computer to the wall socket) I see to be qualified in something like to know how to do it, AND have a paper for it, or something. Experience is in my mind, more like "how long you have been doing that", and it does not mean necessarily that you were doing it well..

But I am willing to learn!
Old 2019-08-31, 09:27   #10
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

3×13×151 Posts

Quote:
But I am willing to learn!
That's the spirit. Now you are half way there.
Old 2019-09-01, 01:55   #11
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22EE16 Posts

Quote:
My lair is located within 20,000km of SA. So you are quite close.
If you allow for the measurement to go through the earth, that is quite a volume.

S.R. Haddon much?
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote