Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2016-12-11, 06:37   #1
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5·223 Posts
Default User Xolotl has an "LL Success"

Looking at the latest hourly Top 500 LL Producers Report, the user Xolotl is not only making a nice run up the leaderboard, but also has reported one LL "success" (i.e. a new Mersenne prime) in 1,877 LL attempts.

Has Santa arrived early this year, or is this some false-positive coal in our stocking?
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-11, 06:59   #2
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Hasn't this user turned in several other false positives?
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-11, 07:32   #3
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2·32·137 Posts

I wouldn't hold my breath: http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=21625
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-11, 11:43   #4
Zr40

Dec 2013

32 Posts

Could it be M74551753? It's showing as C though, and someone else has already been assigned this exponent as a first-time check.

Last fiddled with by Zr40 on 2016-12-11 at 11:43
Zr40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-11, 21:31   #5
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

52·7·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
Looking at the latest hourly Top 500 LL Producers Report, the user Xolotl is not only making a nice run up the leaderboard, but also has reported one LL "success" (i.e. a new Mersenne prime) in 1,877 LL attempts.

Has Santa arrived early this year, or is this some false-positive coal in our stocking?
That user has submitted many false positives over the past 6+ months. I wouldn't make anything of it.

Up until now, all of his false positives have been (curiously) from a double-check. This is the only time a first-time check of his has resulted in a (presumably) false positive.

There seems to be a funny difference in what counts as a "success" in first-time and double-check top producer reports. In DC, a success seems to be a matching residue, so they happen all the time. All of xolotl's previous false positives while doing DC would have been lost in there. In the first-time check, apparently it's only "is prime" results that chalk up a "success" notch.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is another false alarm but I'm doing a check anyway. Unfortunately the count of "success" or not comes from what the user reported, so even when it turns out to be wrong, it'll still show up as a success in that report. Oh well.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-11, 21:34   #6
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

52·7·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr40 View Post
Could it be M74551753? It's showing as C though, and someone else has already been assigned this exponent as a first-time check.
That's not the one that made his "success" count show up as "1".

In fact, besides the false positives from this user, he also has a number of "false not-quite-positives". Those are the ones where the partial residue is zero (like that one) but it said it was composite. Why or how that would happen, we're not sure.
Old 2016-12-12, 09:58   #7
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

2·3·7·43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
In fact, besides the false positives from this user, he also has a number of "false not-quite-positives". Those are the ones where the partial residue is zero (like that one) but it said it was composite. Why or how that would happen, we're not sure.
I suppose PrimeNet has data about that users hardware, program and its version ?

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-12, 10:08   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

33×239 Posts

[conspiracy]

Oh yes, "probably a hardware problem". How can we be sure that it isn't all just a ruse to throw us off the scent and in fact a real discovery has been made? Hmm? HMM?

Oh, and the Moon landings were faked, and 911 was an inside job, also! We know!!

[/conspiracy]
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-13, 23:21   #9
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

63758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
I suppose PrimeNet has data about that users hardware, program and its version ?

Jacob
George and I have actually emailed with him about this and there is some unusual hardware installed on these boxes, but nothing jumped out as being a real problem. I don't know if this is 100% true, but I think in all cases these boxes have a Xeon Phi (Knights Corner, not Landing) coprocessor card installed.

Maybe there's a driver issue causing some interference, or the system gets too hot inside which creates CPU problems.

Anyway, Prime95 is running on Xeon E5-26xx processors, same as I do and I haven't had any issues.

It would be annoying except for the fact that he also submits a lot of good double-checks, so... whatever.

Meanwhile, this did indeed turn out to be another false positive.

If someone wants to do a double-check of my result, this is the exponent:
M76849343
Old 2016-12-14, 04:15   #10
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

32·1,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
George and I have actually emailed with him about this and there is some unusual hardware installed on these boxes, but nothing jumped out as being a real problem. I don't know if this is 100% true, but I think in all cases these boxes have a Xeon Phi (Knights Corner, not Landing) coprocessor card installed.

Maybe there's a driver issue causing some interference, or the system gets too hot inside which creates CPU problems.

Anyway, Prime95 is running on Xeon E5-26xx processors, same as I do and I haven't had any issues.

It would be annoying except for the fact that he also submits a lot of good double-checks
Thanks, Aaron - 2 questions:

1. Do I understand you correctly in that some/most of the KC-installed systems return good DCs?

2. Is there any commonality among the user's systems which have returned false positives (I.e. some specific and hopefully-small subset of the KC-installed systems), or is it a case of apparently sporadic glitches, in which a given system returns a bunch of good DCs, then a bad one, then reverts to good ones?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-14, 07:05   #11
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

CFD16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Thanks, Aaron - 2 questions:

1. Do I understand you correctly in that some/most of the KC-installed systems return good DCs?

2. Is there any commonality among the user's systems which have returned false positives (I.e. some specific and hopefully-small subset of the KC-installed systems), or is it a case of apparently sporadic glitches, in which a given system returns a bunch of good DCs, then a bad one, then reverts to good ones?
Hmm... I don't remember for sure. I'll have to refresh my notes on that. It seemed like it might be the case that only the systems with Phi copros were having issues, but I don't know if *all* such systems had errors, or just a subset. My memory on that could be wrong though; we were only casually discussing it via email and that was several months back.