mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2016-03-29, 14:29   #1
jord161

Mar 2016

2 Posts
Default found one what do i do now?

I just noticed that one of my workers found a prime. Who do I go to with this info?
jord161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-29, 20:49   #2
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

2·33·132 Posts

Email
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-29, 21:13   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

206548 Posts

Check that it is not a previously known one:
http://mersennewiki.org/index.php/Li...ersenne_primes
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-01, 17:44   #4
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jord161 View Post
I just noticed that one of my workers found a prime. Who do I go to with this info?
Check it in to Primenet, either automatically or using the manual form.

Once that happens, we'll run a verification check to make sure it wasn't a false positive.

I checked the server and nothing has been reported in saying it was prime, so that's definitely a good start. Or email George directly as Batalov mentioned, but you'd probably want to check it in as well because sometimes George takes vacations and it might take time for him to respond (I don't think that's true right now, but just as a general suggestion).
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 20:56   #5
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×2,861 Posts

Didn't someone say that we were getting lots of bots on the forum with usernames that were 4 letters and then 3 numbers?
What was his other post?
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 23:48   #6
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22·41·61 Posts

There does not appear to be another.
http://mersenneforum.org/search.php?searchid=1803939
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 06:31   #7
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

CCA16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Didn't someone say that we were getting lots of bots on the forum with usernames that were 4 letters and then 3 numbers?
What was his other post?
Don't know, but there was a very weird thing a week or two back when someone else claimed to have found a prime... the odd things were:
a) how it was reported (I won't go into detail, but it was really weird)
b) the exponent was unassigned
c) the person wasn't even a user of Primenet
d) James did some extra TF on it and found a factor

Good thing too; it was a 100M digit exponent and I wasn't looking forward to doing a DC on it and taking all that time for something that seemed so strange in the first place.

So there are some unusual things that happen, and for all I know this is the same person who tried to contact us previously in that really weird way. LOL As in, doing everything except emailing George or submitting the result to Primenet, which *should be* the first two things you try.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-22, 13:23   #8
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22×1,109 Posts
Default What's the process if the lucky discoverer of a prime?

My take on an appropriate protocol:

Step one should be to check configuration and worker logs carefully. For gpu based computation, there are known issues that will generate bad interim residues and a final indication of a prime, for an exponent that does not yield an actual prime, just as a side effect of the computation gone wrong. For cpu-based computation, look in the mersenne computation logs for any indications of past computing error rate. Check system logs for any signs of system stability issues.

If running prime95 or mprime and operating through PrimeNet, various people should receive notification through the PrimeNet server, automatically. But sometimes that automatic email doesn't work. (It's not like there's frequent volume.)

Promptly private message with the same send to the extent possible, prime95, ewmayer, skurowski, m29 (luke welsh), madpoo and maybe a couple other discoverers of previous Mersenne primes, details of exponent, what it was run on, when the run completed. Copy them a log excerpt, answer questions. Promptly, because it establishes time frame, and there could be money involved, hinging on who found it first.

Other than that private message, don't announce there's a discovery until it is verified.
There's a process for putting a press release together. Notifying the Mersenne Research Inc. board members and officers sets verification and disclosure into motion.

Preserve all related files. The last save file may in particular be requested for a rerun by someone else. Make an offline, preferably offsite backup.

Initiate your own double-check, different hardware and software, perhaps before notifying anyone.

Follow the terms and conditions of use. https://www.mersenne.org/legal/

An uninformative unsubstantiated claim publicly of having found one seems to me the opposite of how to go about it for a credible claim. Note the original poster did not say "Hypothetically, if I find one, what should I do?"
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-22, 17:37   #9
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

221428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Follow the terms and conditions of use. https://www.mersenne.org/legal/
Particularly this clause: "Discovery Non-Disclosure Period. Participants and Awardees agree to a reasonable immediate period of non-disclosure communications silence, not to exceed 90 days, about any discovery, alleged or verified, until GIMPS announces the discovery to the academia and press. Non-compliance may result in award disqualification.

There's a bit of a game where people try to figure out the newly discovered MP, and then gloat about it on the forum.

Earlier this year, when the 50th known MP was found, someone edited Wikipedia announcing the exponent, based on speculation here. The edit was quickly reversed, and amusingly the stated exponent was incorrect....
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-22, 20:15   #10
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Particularly this clause: "Discovery Non-Disclosure Period. Participants and Awardees agree to a reasonable immediate period of non-disclosure communications silence, not to exceed 90 days, about any discovery, alleged or verified, until GIMPS announces the discovery to the academia and press. Non-compliance may result in award disqualification."

There's a bit of a game where people try to figure out the newly discovered MP, and then gloat about it on the forum.

Earlier this year, when the 50th known MP was found, someone edited Wikipedia announcing the exponent, based on speculation here. The edit was quickly reversed, and amusingly the stated exponent was incorrect....

So in other words, during the time from discovery of Mp#50? 26 Dec 2017 to GIMPS announcement after verification runs, Jan 3 2018, had Jon Pace been too excited and let it slip, he could have disqualified himself from receiving GIMPS-awarded prize money. For the 100-megadigit hunters, it could potentially be big money by the standards of many household or personal incomes. https://www.mersenne.org/primes/press/M77232917.html
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-22, 21:57   #11
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
So in other words...
Yes. Jon didn't let it slip. He was a little awestruck he was the discoverer.

Really there's little downside in announcing the discovery before GIMPS, other than loss of the reward.

But, it's rather unsportsmanlike. Can be done, but frowned upon....
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote