Old 2021-08-09, 02:56   #12
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

217410 Posts

15 Notable People Who Dropped Out of School

Quote:
Although he was named Time magazine's "Man of the Century," Albert Einstein was not an "Einstein" in school. The Nobel Prize-winning physicist, famous for his theory of relativity and contributions to quantum theory and statistical mechanics, dropped out of high school at age 15. Deciding to continue his education a year later, Einstein took the entrance exam to the prestigious Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, but failed. He returned to high school, got his diploma, and then passed the university's entrance exam on his second attempt.
https://people.howstuffworks.com/15-...-of-school.htm
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-09, 11:44   #13
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×33×5×19 Posts

I thought "if we would be once more we are" was rather charming. I mentally inserted "than" before "we." Alternatively, drop "we are" from the English translation. Either way, "once more" rather than "one more" strongly indicated doubling rather than incrementing. Besides, incrementing is used later in the puzzle. But I checked anyway, and was surprised that both alternatives gave positive integer solutions.

Of course the puzzle was not intended as a linguistics exercise in translating Romanian to English. However, you do need a certain amount of language skill. There is a maxim most briefly stated as "Read the problem." Alternate versions are, "Read the problem before you try to solve it," or "Before answering, make sure you understand the problem."

Here in the good ol' USA, "word problems" or "story problems" are objects of dread, as immortalized by Gary Larson:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	story_problems.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	25434  
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-09, 12:58   #14
SmartMersenne

Sep 2017

2·59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Gerbicz View Post
Why, because you see somewhere in the problem the 12 and 7 numbers?
Then solve this:

His boyhood lasted one sixth of his life, he married after one ninth more, his beard grew after one eighteenth more, and his son was born five years later, the son lived to half his father’s age, and the father died six years after the son.

And you get that the answer is not divisible by 18 or 9.
First of all it is just a heuristic, and it doesn't mean it would always work.

And I am not applying it blindly. Because 12 and 7 are relatively prime, I am not seeing a cancellation. In your case These two numbers are not relatively primes so a simplification is possible. Without thinking too much arithmetic, I can see 1/18 and 1/9 add up to 1/6, so the final answer is likely to be a multiple of 6. Again, I am saying this without even thinking about the solution.
SmartMersenne is offline   Reply With Quote