mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2015-09-22, 14:49   #1
Explorer09

May 2014

418 Posts
Default (patch) No need for fmt_mask[] buffer

This patch is for Prime95 v28.7

The printf and sprintf functions in C library support '*' as precision. Therefore there is no need for the 'masked' format string like "%%.%df%%%%" and a buffer to store the temporary format string ("%.2f%%"). Just use syntax like printf("%.*f%%", precision, number); .

This patch removes the use of fmt_mask[] and 'masked' format strings.

Technically the '*' specifier for width or precision in printf takes an 'int' argument, but the global PRECISION variable expects only an integer within the interval [0,6]. It is good to keep it an 'unsigned int' to save a "if (PRECISION<0)" check code.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mprime-no-fmt-mask.patch.txt (13.4 KB, 106 views)
Explorer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 14:57   #2
ramshanker

"Ram Shanker"
May 2015
Delhi

2·19 Posts
Talking

This kind of patches over this forum along with respective files really makes me wonder whether we should move to github for version control and much wider participation from coder community.

All the cool kids projects are on GitHub these days.
ramshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 15:21   #3
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

31×107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramshanker View Post
This kind of patches over this forum along with respective files really makes me wonder whether we should move to github for version control and much wider participation from coder community.

It would be nice to see that, at the very least to be able to see what changes were actually made between versions without loading both up and using a comparison tool.

I'd guess most/all of the changes are still done by George so it would really depend on whether he was up for a move like that, but a shared repository like Github or whatever else sure seems like a good direction to go.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 17:11   #4
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

23·7·137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramshanker View Post
I guess I'm from the old fart school of programming.

Seriously, I use an svn repository. Can such a thing be migrated to github? There are a lot of history comments I wouldn't want to lose. Also, I've grown accustomed to svnX and its diff tools.

Last fiddled with by Prime95 on 2015-09-22 at 17:15
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 21:01   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

266318 Posts

@Github pumpers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post

Seriously, I use an svn repository. Can such a thing be migrated to github? There are a lot of history comments I wouldn't want to lose. Also, I've grown accustomed to svnX and its diff tools.
Plus, if Sourceforge and its "suck 'em in with the 'cool kidzz' aspect, then a few years later sell out big-time and start using project space for selling ads" business model is any guide, Github being 'cool' today says nada about 5,10,20 years from now. Look at the date on George's program and tell me - how many Sourceforge/Github-style sites have [a] been around that long and [b] remained true to the shareware-project-support-rather-than-blatant-rent-extraction model?

The only way to be sure of one's infrastructure over the long haul here is to pick clear open-source winners with broad community support early on and be very wary of trading 'convenience today' for nightmares down the road. Visual Studio is a prime example of the latter tradeoff.

To put in plan-of-battle terms: Keep it simple as reasonably possible and remain focused on the mission.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2015-09-22 at 21:03
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 22:42   #6
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

1DF816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer09 View Post
This patch is for Prime95 v28.7
Thanks. This is much cleaner.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 23:55   #7
Explorer09

May 2014

3×11 Posts

Speaking of SVN, you should probably ignore ".DS_Store" files from versioning, or at least not include them in your source zip package.

Or is there any reason to keep them?
Explorer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 00:15   #8
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

B6B16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Plus, if Sourceforge and its "suck 'em in with the 'cool kidzz' aspect, then a few years later sell out big-time and start using project space for selling ads" business model is any guide, Github being 'cool' today says nada about 5,10,20 years from now. Look at the date on George's program and tell me - how many Sourceforge/Github-style sites have [a] been around that long and [b] remained true to the shareware-project-support-rather-than-blatant-rent-extraction model?
I think GitHub will be in business for a while. We spend $100 a month with them. We're just one company.

But as you know there is no one repository with git, so mirroring it on other services like GitLab/Gitorious is trivial.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 08:37   #9
blip

Jan 2014

14610 Posts

Quote:

You can work it out locally to get started. Have a look at https://git-scm.com/book/it/v2/Git-a...grating-to-Git

We migrated all our projects (100+) form svn to git without any issues. If you then use github or bitbucket (or any other provider) depends on your trust in their policies. We use both, depending on the project.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 14:56   #10
ramshanker

"Ram Shanker"
May 2015
Delhi

2×19 Posts
Smile

Quote:
I didn't mean to undermine your efforts in any way.

I am just starting up with all this factoring mania! Still at O(grade school). Long way to go till O(n log n). Tried searching for the Assembly code once in Prime95 code base, and was surprised not to find it on GitHub.
ramshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 18:59   #11
TObject

Feb 2012

6258 Posts
Thumbs up

As other posters touched on the subject a little bit, a great differentiator of Git (and other systems like it) is that it is a distributed source control system. It does not need a central server. Each cloned repository is self-contained, and can be used to make further clones. As such, you are not ‘tied forever’ to any particular server; if GitHub goes down, for example, you can take your local repository, and load it on some other service.

Another point I want to make is that Git is not synonymous to GitHub. GitHub is the biggest provider, but you do not have to use it. There are other providers; Microsoft Visual Studio Online, for example, supports Git, and it is free for up to five users. Also, if you choose so, it should not be too difficult to add your own Git server software to the mersenne.org, so you do not have to rely on third parties for distributing repositories.
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote