mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-10-03, 23:03   #353
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

10,039 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
sorry I thought I was the village idiot for some reason
You are, we suspect.

A serious question... Are you related to Rick Mercer?
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 23:09   #354
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
You are, we suspect.

A serious question... Are you related to Rick Mercer?
no not to my knowledge and our family genealogist died within the last month so I can't ask them. Also you also tend to get repetitive because that's the 4th time you've replied to a post I made that way in under 3 years.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 23:11   #355
James Heinrich
 
James Heinrich's Avatar
 
"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

23·32·72 Posts
Default

The ranges should be correctly set for the delta graphs now.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 03:27   #356
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24×613 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
no not to my knowledge and our family genealogist died within the last month so I can't ask them. Also you also tend to get repetitive because that's the 4th time you've replied to a post I made that way in under 3 years.
You know what? I would take that as a compliment. When he said it first time I googled for the guy and I really like that guy and what he is doing for the people with disabilities. I would like him to be my relative.

Now back on topic, @James
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
The ranges should be correctly set for the delta graphs now.
Man I like the delta graphs! I can't understand how do you find the free time to do all that stuff. I wanted just to add that the delta graphs are better viewed from the angle of zero (due to the negative bars are difficult to see in 3D) so you could make a asterisk note under the graphs (better viewed from a zero angle, or so). Another idea, but that is already on the nitpicking side, is to make the negatives darker or change their border. But the zero angle note would be enough.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2015-10-04 at 03:29
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 03:32   #357
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·33·11·17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
I had to suppress some scaling code for delta graphs where I ran into divide-by-zero errors. I didn't have time to examine the problem so I hid it I'll have to go back and fix it properly sometime.

I think so, but perhaps you could give me a more explicit example of what you're thinking of in this case.
This seems to break things:
http://www.mersenne.ca/status/tf/0/7/4/33200
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 03:52   #358
James Heinrich
 
James Heinrich's Avatar
 
"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

23·32·72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Thanks, fixed. It broke because I was lazy with the code and it caught me out by having no results in the first line of the table. I've fixed the code to be saner.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 05:31   #359
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!
 
Dubslow's Avatar
 
"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts
Default

(Off topic post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
There can be cases where dividing by zero is valid.

This simply results in infinity.
That is of debatable merit in the computer realm. Perhaps in some symbolic logic packages, but almost never in PHP or JS or similar. Even including the symbolic logic packages, overall the cases where it is not an error are outweighed by the cases where it is by a couple orders of magnitude, so making them an error by default is a very sensible thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
this depends on direction see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
In my opinion, only an idiot would link to a YT video to enter an argument.
Why?

There's nothing different between the content of the YouTube video and the content of a couple of topical Wikipedia articles, and sm_88 is correct.

In the majority of cases, linking a YouTube video in an argument might be considered dubious, but in this case it certainly wasn't, and... well, your resulting ad hominem certainly doesn't improve your own image.

Edit: Unless you consider the point specifically about sign to be irrelevant?

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2015-10-04 at 05:36
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-06, 21:47   #360
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100111001101112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
There's nothing different between the content of the YouTube video and the content of a couple of topical Wikipedia articles, and sm_88 is correct.
I fundamentally disagree.

Videos can't be "parced" by many, including often myself.

This isn't always because of bandwidth or hardware limitations, but sometimes because of the unwillingness to have Javascript running on their machines where you don't really know what the code is doing to present the video.

Further, if one can't write what they mean to say, why should I listen to them? At least link to text (HTML et al) which I can read. I tend to read far faster than most can speak.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-06, 22:09   #361
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Further, if one can't write what they mean to say, why should I listen to them? At least link to text (HTML et al) which I can read. I tend to read far faster than most can speak.
it depends on the circumstances is what I meant because one thing pointed out is you can define division by 0 on the real number line if you say which direction you are going because the limits going both ways are only the same under absolute value as they are \pm \infty
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-06, 23:38   #362
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

10,039 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
it depends on the circumstances is what I meant...
If it cost you something to do something, and you hadn't succeeded yet, would the cost to successes radio not be infinite at that point in time per attempt?

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2015-10-06 at 23:46
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-07, 01:29   #363
James Heinrich
 
James Heinrich's Avatar
 
"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

1101110010002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Any progress on the P-1 / LL / DC deltas?
First version of LL data is up now:
http://www.mersenne.ca/status/ll

Resolution is limited to 1M because I'm (currently) grabbing data from http://www.mersenne.org/primenet/ which is trivial to parse for the data I need.

Data in this report goes back to 01-Feb-2012.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Requests? Xyzzy Forum Feedback 104 2017-04-02 22:20
Collaboration Requests robert44444uk Prime Gap Searches 2 2017-01-17 07:57
Requests for change... WraithX FactorDB 32 2014-12-18 03:40
Manual Requests tului GPU Computing 15 2014-06-24 06:22
a few simple requests for v5 ixfd64 PrimeNet 44 2010-01-11 20:21

All times are UTC. The time now is 14:56.


Sun Nov 28 14:56:50 UTC 2021 up 128 days, 9:25, 0 users, load averages: 1.60, 1.21, 1.19

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.