mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2014-08-06, 20:45   #1
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

1DFD16 Posts
Default GTX 580 fan help

I purchased a used GTX 580. It produces good double-check results unless it starts running hot.

The problem is that I can't get the MSI afterburner fan settings to "stick". I've tried setting up a user-defined curve and running at a fixed 90%. The fan settings work as long as afterburner is running. If I close afterburner, the fan goes back to "auto" settings which are inadequate. I'm not sure, but if CUDALucas stops and restarts the fan may also revert to "auto" settings.

Has anyone else seen this? Better yet, anyone with a possible solution?
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 21:00   #2
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

3·1,423 Posts

EVGA Precision X can apply clocking and fan speeds at start-up and when it is closed (or appears to be, at least). It's what I use with my ASUS GTX 560.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 21:01   #3
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

As far as I know, Afterburner has to be running full time for its effects to be sustained. I have always run it set to start with Windows, with "Apply overclocking at system startup" ticked on the front panel.

EDIT: I just verified that this is the case for me. Stopping Afterburner caused the GPU temp to rise as the fan speed decreased from 2800 to 1800 RPM in the minute or so before I restarted Afterburner.

It seems that, if the EVGA software continues to control fans and frequency after it is shut down, then it must have some persistent background task to do this.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2014-08-06 at 21:08
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 21:09   #4
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

32·853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
EVGA Precision X can apply clocking and fan speeds at start-up and when it is closed (or appears to be, at least). It's what I use with my ASUS GTX 560.
EVGA won't allow download of that utility anymore. I did find another site to download from, but it is the same thing as MSI afterburner with a different skin. It has the same problems.

I'll try running MSI afterburner all the time --- seems like a waste.
Old 2014-08-06, 21:32   #5
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11·157 Posts

My experience with EVGA Precision X and MSI Afterburner is that settings stuck. Overclocks always do. Fan settings VERY occasionally do not. Voltages rarely do.

You could try the BIOS for fan control settings. That's what I had to do for my pump since Speedfan couldn't control it.

Actually, now that I think about it, you could actually try Speedfan.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 22:20   #6
Gordon

Nov 2008

3·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
My experience with EVGA Precision X and MSI Afterburner is that settings stuck. Overclocks always do. Fan settings VERY occasionally do not. Voltages rarely do.

You could try the BIOS for fan control settings. That's what I had to do for my pump since Speedfan couldn't control it.

Actually, now that I think about it, you could actually try Speedfan.
I use Pailt Thundermaster
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 22:54   #7
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

Looking a little further, I find that over and under clocks (GPU and VRAM respectively) are maintained when Afterburner shuts down. I can't say right now about voltage changes, as I'm running at stock with that part of Afterburner disabled. Unfortunately, the fans went into an immediate decline.

The inadequate fan issue first came up with a particular nvidia driver release a year or so back. However, I think it must be BIOS related as well. I have an Asus 580 and a Gigabyte 570. The Asus card has a real problem with running slow fans and hot GPU (as in hitting the throttling temp.) The Gigabyte does not do this.

As an aside, I think the Gigabyte cooling solution is superior to the Asus. The Gig. has 3 75mm fans, while the Asus has 2 95mm fans. The Asus fans run faster, even though both cards have about the same top fan speed. They are also much louder than the Gig. fans. In addition, running on the custom fan curve in Afterburner, the Asus hits top RPM at about 70% PWM. While the 580 may put out more heat than the 570, I can't be sure, especially since the 570 has a much higher factory OC.

Of course, its hard to say definitively which card is cooling better when both are in the same case and feeding heat to each other.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 02:43   #8
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24×613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I purchased a used GTX 580
Brand/Part Number of the card will be very useful here. Some Asus DC2 cards could not care less about afterburner, etc, and you would need to use their (Asus') tools. So, what exactly the card is?

(edit: Asus's "doctor whatever" asks you, when you close it, "do you want the fan settings to be kept, or revert to default", or something like this, and it works well for Asus cards)

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-08-07 at 02:45
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 03:03   #9
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

32·853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Brand/Part Number of the card will be very useful here.
It is a non-overclocked EVGA 1.5GB memory. I can get the exact part number if you need it.
Old 2014-08-07, 04:23   #10
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24·613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I can get the exact part number if you need it.
I don't need it, I only was afraid it can be an Asus card, from which I have few and know they are not so responsive to third party tools. Sorry I can't be of any help for EVGA. I have a Titan, which works well with PrecisionX, and I (most probably) have the tool downloaded somewhere at home, I can pack it for you in case you can't find it.
What is the problem with letting the Afterburner (or the tool you use) run in background? If this solves your problem, just minimize it, and don't close it.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 04:40   #11
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

767710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
What is the problem with letting the Afterburner (or the tool you use) run in background? If this solves your problem, just minimize it, and don't close it.
I'm trying it now. An inelegant solution, but tolerable I guess.