Old 2019-09-06, 02:28   #1
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

26E916 Posts
Default Trivia

Me opening the forum yesterday morning (quite busy at work), click "New posts", it says to me: Showing results 1 to 25 of 48. Kind of busy... not many posts... postpone any reading, close the forum. Back to work.

Me opening the forum today morning (still busy at work), click "New posts", it says to me: Showing results 1 to 25 of 62.

"Hmm.. the first page has the same amount of posts. Conclusion, nobody posted anything important meantime". Back to work...

LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-28, 16:08   #2
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

7·1,423 Posts
Default Friday night muse...

I really believe something is wrong with Serge... When just reading the forums minutes ago I have seen in some topic a series of 4 or 5 of his posts (almost) in a row (at least, all on the same page in the same time), and guess what: all of them had the same avatar!
Old 2022-01-16, 10:07   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

996110 Posts

We recently bought an "insta360 one x2" camera, and bought a lot of accessories for it, some of them, probably, we will never use, but they are fun to play with. Well... as usual after you buy something (no, this time it is not "you find it cheaper in another place", this camera and original accessories have the same price around the world, with very small variations), aliexpress continues for a while to bombard you with related advertisement, and sometimes before the new year we gave in to such ad, and decided to buy a large carrying case for the camera. We saw it in such related ad, and clicked on it, went there, they had different types, bigger and smaller, etc., custom made, not expensive, that is a like a small suitcase, hard plastic covered in fabric, zippers around, and inside there is a foam with cut compartments to fit the camera and different accessories. So we got the "largest" one (which is about 25 x 35 x 6 cm, which is quite convenient to carry around, or put in the car) so we can put the most of the accessories we have inside of the carrying case instead of losing them around the house.

It arrived today, after about 3 weeks and a bit.

The description of the product was accurate, with small exceptions, and the case is well made for the (cheap) price you pay. It was shipped out in reasonable time, so that was a good vendor, and we gave it 5 stars.

Now, bad thing (as the "good thing/bad thing" is in fashion on the forum right now, thanks to kriesel), the PU foam inside is the "smelly" type, if not exposed to air for a while, and especially when it is new, it smells like old urine, or horse manure, and you will need to leave it open for a while, or replace it with other foam or sponge (somehow easy to do, you need to be a bit careful when you cut the forms inside). If you are not aware of it, you may faint and die when you open the box for the first time.

Good part: we didn't faint when we opened the parcel.
Bad part: we have to ask our neighbors if all of them are still alive...

Now the fun fact, good part:

Either the seller or the manufacturer, probably aware of the situation, placed a bag with lavender inside the carrying case, to improve the odor inside, and to avoid you fainting when you receive the parcel and open the box for the first time. This is similar to the silica gel desiccant sachets, but bigger, and supposed to to have a strong lavender smell.

Bad part: Now we have a brand new, originally packed, very nice lavender bag, which smells of old urine and horse manure and nothing else.
No lavender smell. In a perfect world, maybe, the smell moves in the desired direction only, but not the case here...

So, if you want to buy a lavender bag that smells like old urine or horse manure, we are selling this bag to the best bidder!

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2022-01-20 at 07:10 Reason: tyops
Old 2022-01-20, 02:39   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

7·1,423 Posts

Quote:
we have to ask our neighbors if all of them are still alive...
I know it is bad to make fun when somebody dies. Mea culpa!
One of our neighbors died few days ago, about the time I was posting the former stupidity. We didn't know, and nobody told us anything yet, but we have seen the things associated with the funeral events in Thai culture. He was an old American guy, married to a Thai woman. They bought the house and moved here after us, and lived here for 10 or 12 years already (we lived here more than 20 years). She had 3 teenager boys from former marriage, and they raised the boys together, they are now all adults and have their own businesses. They were good as neighbors, and he was a very nice an talkative guy. He would like a good joke.
He died of old age, and diseases associated with old age. No covid, and - we hope - no connection with our PU foam... (that's a joke, you silly!). He died in hospital, he was in and out there weekly for a while, and in the last months he was walking very slowly, with a 4-legged walker. We don't know if his corpse will be brought home, or sent somewhere else to be buried or burnt (Chiang Mai has a cemetery for farangs), or sent to US to be buried there. We were not so close, but we prepared anyhow an envelope with a compassion card and some money inside, as it is the local custom, in case somebody tells us. We don't want to intrude. Up to now we have only seen some old Thai people preparing things around, but nothing very "official".

Rest in peace Bill.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2022-01-20 at 02:54
Old 2022-01-20, 06:45   #5
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

2·19·59 Posts

I have never understood the nonsense behind shipping a corpse thousands of miles to be buried. Once gone pay the respects and leave the earthly container of the soul at peace.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-20, 09:54   #6
axn

Jun 2003

23·233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
I have never understood the nonsense behind shipping a corpse thousands of miles to be buried. Once gone pay the respects and leave the earthly container of the soul at peace.
It is an emotional decision, not a logical one.
axn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-16, 08:36   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

233518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Sorry I didn't visit this for a while. What you suggest may be common sense and I agree with it, but sometimes it may be even more complicate to achieve. For example in this specific case, papers were needed from the relatives that they agree the corpse to be buried wherever overseas, and also from the US embassy that they too agree that an American citizen be buried on non-American soil. Fortunately the things were eased by the fact that the old guy had a written will in which he specified the temple he wanted to spend the eternity in. Otherwise no undertaker would touch that body, if you want to do it "legally".
Old 2022-03-16, 14:11   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

193116 Posts

I agree with this Klingon philosophy: The body is just a shell, do with it what you wish.

I don't agree with the Klingon afterlife stuff. There are no souls. They are just concepts made up to make people feel important and superior to "lower" animals.

I can't prove the negative, but if anyone has positive proof of a soul please present it.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-16, 18:22   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

22×3×941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I agree with this Klingon philosophy: The body is just a shell, do with it what you wish.

I don't agree with the Klingon afterlife stuff. There are no souls. They are just concepts made up to make people feel important and superior to "lower" animals.

I can't prove the negative, but if anyone has positive proof of a soul please present it.
Ah, soul.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote