mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2021-06-22, 15:27   #375
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

2·7·47 Posts

I have some more dirt on treadmills (no pun intended).

Most use a DC motor that is pulse width modulated for speed control. The DC power is supplied by a switch mode power supply.

These motor pulses are square waves, rich in harmonics. Left unfiltered, they are injected into the power line which pollutes the surrounding RF environment with very nasty noise that can extend up to 100's of MHZ, with the power line acting as a transmitting antenna.

The treadmill industry, for some reason, has decided to ignore this issue so they leave their power supplies completely unfiltered. Some are so bad that my neighbor's high-end, expensive treadmill would knock my DSL service out whenever it was in use. I had to purchase an expensive external filter and plug his treadmill into it in order to fix the problem.

So why add $5 worth of parts to each treadmill, right? Let the poor unsuspecting customers fight with troubleshooting all the interference we cause...
PhilF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 15:36   #376
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

141228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
So why add $5 worth of parts to each treadmill, right?
Many countries have emission regulations that would ban such products, and put the sellers at risk of prosecution if they ignore them.

Maybe you can talk to your politicians about getting some regulations to cover things like that.

That is, assuming they aren't too busy taking backhanders from the makers to keep the laws more lax.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 15:54   #377
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

2×7×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Many countries have emission regulations that would ban such products, and put the sellers at risk of prosecution if they ignore them.
We have plenty of said regulations, we're full up lol. But why they don't seem to apply to the treadmill industry is beyond me.
Old 2021-06-25, 01:48   #378
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×11×283 Posts
Default WD My Book Live users wake up to find their data deleted

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...stern-digital/
Quote:
Western Digital, maker of the popular My Disk external hard drives, is recommending customers unplug My Disk Live storage devices from the Internet until further notice while company engineers investigate unexplained compromises that have completely wiped data from devices around the world.
At least one user has come to a very startling discovery:
Quote:
“It is very scary and devastating that someone can do factory restore on my drive without any permission granted from the end user,”
Well you connected it to the Internet, so it was really just a matter of time.

Anyhow, all those drives are at least six years old (last sold in 2015), so it was well past the point where moving the data forward onto new drives was needed.

Plus where are the backups? Did people have all their drives (the live set and all the backups) as the same type and all connected 24/7?
Old 2021-06-25, 04:25   #379
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

3×5×719 Posts

Quote:
Plus where are the backups? Did people have all their drives (the live set and all the backups) as the same type and all connected 24/7?
Even if I had perfect backups of a bricked drive, I would still be somewhat miffed at having to restore everything.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-25, 15:52   #380
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

4,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
We have plenty of said regulations, we're full up lol. But why they don't seem to apply to the treadmill industry is beyond me.
EMI from DC motors seems to be covered by US regulations: Electronic Code of Federal Regulations Title 47: Telecommunication, PART 15 - RADIO FREQUENCY DEVICES
Quote:
§15.3 Definitions.
<snip>
(n) Incidental radiator. A device that generates radio frequency energy during the course of its operation although the device is not intentionally designed to generate or emit radio frequency energy. Examples of incidental radiators are dc motors, mechanical light switches, etc.
<snip>
§15.5 General conditions of operation.
<snip>
(b) Operation of an intentional, unintentional, or incidental radiator is subject to the conditions that no harmful interference is caused and that interference must be accepted that may be caused by the operation of an authorized radio station, by another intentional or unintentional radiator, by industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) equipment, or by an incidental radiator.
<snip>
§15.13 Incidental radiators.
Manufacturers of these devices shall employ good engineering practices to minimize the risk of harmful interference.
So it would seem to be a matter of getting them enforced. You might try talking with the FCC about how the above regulations pertain to DC motors in treadmills
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-25, 22:21   #381
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

5,437 Posts

Quote:
Similar devices are marketed with USB ports for plugging in external backup drives. And have only a single well known share name available for the plugged in backup drive. NAS-USB-backupdrivewithknownsharename
Redundant backup over the network to an external drive that gets filed in a metal cabinet is a way around the wiped-main-and-backup.

And if it could be bricked or wiped, one wonders what else might have been done to/with the stored data. Some sensitive data ought only be on a well stored USB stick or paper.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-06-25 at 22:23
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-25, 22:59   #382
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·67·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Some sensitive data ought only be on a well stored USB stick or paper.
Personally, I argue that for long-term offline, (hermetically sealed) spinning rust is still the better option over any type of solid state*.

* I'm talking in the contemporary ICT space here. Volumes of pages of QRCodes are also an option. As is pounding symbols into rocks. 9-)
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-09, 05:39   #383
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·11·283 Posts

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3xq...s-and-location
Quote:
"When I launch the app, the damned thing wants all sort of permissions: location, phone calls, media, and ... contacts??? The app won't work without these permissions,"
Quote:
These situations speak to two issues: Apps that demand permissions that they don't need, and "smart" and internet of things devices that make formerly simple tasks very complicated, and open up potential privacy and security concerns.
Quote:
If you have a Samsung internet-connected appliance, and are uncomfortable letting its app see all your friend's phone number, try using the newer app, or maybe just use the washer the good old fashioned way—without a phone.
People get seduced by all the shiny new tech and make their lives more complicated, less fun, and just generally worse. But they still go out and buy the next new shiny thinking it will be better.
Old 2021-07-21, 20:02   #384
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

65810 Posts

What do you guys think about this?

I'm a ham radio operator, and listen 99.9% of the time. I have a high quality radio that puts out high quality, realistic sounding speech.

Lying on the desk next to me is my smart phone, which is always turned on. It can hear anything I hear. It's a Google Pixel phone.

So, a month or so ago, some guy who was talking about his life in the 70's mentioned "The Hustle", a dance that was popular back in the disco days. I remember thinking "Oh, The Hustle, I haven't thought about that in decades!". Then, a few hours later I opened YouTube (not on my phone but on my desktop PC which has no microphone), and on the first line of "recommended videos" was a video of 3 women doing The Hustle. Coincidence? I was willing to chalk it up to that at that time because the alternative (which is that my phone is listening to my life 24/7) was too chilling to contemplate.

But yesterday, someone on the radio mentioned his 1-hour trip to town every week was worth it because of getting to visit Tractor Supply and Waffle House. In fact, Tractor Supply was mentioned several times. Yes, you guessed it: Less than an hour later a tractor related banner ad popped up on my YouTube screen. Up until then I had never gotten a tractor-related banner ad before.

So what do we do now? Cover the microphone on the phone when it isn't in use?

Last fiddled with by PhilF on 2021-07-21 at 20:07
Old 2021-07-21, 20:09   #385
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

2×32×5×19 Posts

It could just be a coincidence (there will be lots of times whten this
didn't happen - you don't tend to notice those).
If you are genuinely worried, I would suggest monitoring things like
your phone's battery use and Internet use and looking for suspicious
peaks, perhaps.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote