mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-05-26, 12:55   #1
wildrabbitt
 
Jul 2014

1101111112 Posts
Default changing filesystem from ext4 to FAT32

NEED TO DO THIS

I have a gparted disc. Can I make a fat32 filesystem with it (from an ext4) ?
wildrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 13:59   #2
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(β€˜-β€˜)/X\"
Jan 2013

2×5×293 Posts
Default

If you don't care about the data, reformat it.

If you do care about the data, how full is the filesystem? If less than half full, you can shrink ext4, resize the partition, make a new partition and format that as vfat, move your files, delete the ext4 partition, and finally resize the vfat partition.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 20:51   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2A1616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
If you don't care about the data, reformat it.

If you do care about the data, how full is the filesystem? If less than half full, you can shrink ext4, resize the partition, make a new partition and format that as vfat, move your files, delete the ext4 partition, and finally resize the vfat partition.
If you can attach another "disk" (may be a USB stick for example) which is large enough you could copy all the files to that, re-format the original and copy the files back again.

Dropbox or the like should also work.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2017-05-26 at 20:52
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 22:12   #4
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(β€˜-β€˜)/X\"
Jan 2013

2×5×293 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
If you can attach another "disk" (may be a USB stick for example) which is large enough you could copy all the files to that, re-format the original and copy the files back again.

Dropbox or the like should also work.
Certainly easier.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 15:19   #5
WMHalsdorf
 
WMHalsdorf's Avatar
 
Feb 2005
Bristol, CT

33×19 Posts
Default

I convert my ext4 drives to ntfs since fat32 max file size is 4 gig.
WMHalsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 18:10   #6
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

976310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHalsdorf View Post
I convert my ext4 drives to ntfs since fat32 max file size is 4 gig.
LOL... Just to share, many of the elders around here were working with machines with only a few kilobytes of RAM way back in the late 1900s.

Now-a-days an icon on a desktop is larger than the RAM we had to work with.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 18:18   #7
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009

36448 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
LOL... Just to share, many of the elders around here were working with machines with only a few kilobytes of RAM way back in the late 1900s.

Now-a-days an icon on a desktop is larger than the RAM we had to work with.
My first had 128K back in 1987. Most I used back at the college had 640K at that time. None had HD's. Back then, so little seemed like so much.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 18:28   #8
S485122
 
S485122's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

32428 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHalsdorf View Post
I convert my ext4 drives to ntfs since fat32 max file size is 4 gig.
EXT4 ? Are you sure ?

EXT4 supports file system volumes with sizes up to 1 ExbiByte (EiB 2^60) and files with sizes up to 16 TebiBytes (TiB 2^40). However, Red Hat recommends using XFS instead of ext4 for volumes larger than 100 TB

Also the OP speaks about a gparted disk ? Gparted is just a program to access and modify the partition table : not the characteristic of a partition table or a file system format.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 18:38   #9
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

13×751 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Also the OP speaks about a gparted disk ? Gparted is just a program to access and modify the partition table : not the characteristic of a partition table or a file system format.
Perhaps the OP wants to access the file system from a Winblows instance.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 19:51   #10
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

262316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
My first had 128K back in 1987. Most I used back at the college had 640K at that time. None had HD's. Back then, so little seemed like so much.
My first had 2K. And off-line storage was cassette tapes at 110 baud.

I once spent CDN $1,600 for 8 MB of RAM. And CDN $1,500 for a 20 MB harddrive.

The times they are a'changing.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 21:49   #11
thyw
 
Feb 2016
! North_America

5416 Posts
Default

Quote:
Perhaps the OP wants to access the file system from a Winblows instance.
There are free programs for this. Also, exfat is recognized by both OS (winxp needs a update for it), and have a bigger size limit.
thyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing GTX 760 to GTX 980 MatWur-S530113 GMP-ECM 5 2016-08-07 21:49
Changing CPU storm5510 Hardware 5 2009-08-08 08:48
changing the RAM value Rockfang Software 3 2005-09-29 18:58
Changing My User ID endless mike NFSNET Discussion 1 2004-10-31 19:38
Changing computer ID Jim Software 1 2003-10-27 18:04

All times are UTC. The time now is 16:42.


Fri Jul 30 16:42:05 UTC 2021 up 7 days, 11:11, 0 users, load averages: 1.65, 1.87, 1.82

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.