Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-23, 14:57   #57
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

24·499 Posts

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/article/1852156

Quote:
"It is tragic that the BSA is willing to risk the safety and security of its boys because of peer pressure from activists groups," he said.
Old 2015-05-25, 04:05   #58
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

52·7·53 Posts

Woh... Ye scared me to death...
I get very scared reading those initials... ye bet that in some corners of the world some people don't care about licensing every piece of code they use...
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-15, 14:02   #59
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

24×499 Posts

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...ted-gay-people
Old 2015-07-15, 14:43   #60
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×32×347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Did you know that he never completed college? I sometimes wonder if he even completed high school. He is so close-minded. IMO, he is an idiot. The proof is in how he has governed Wisconsin and how he has let the ultra-conservatives dictate policy in this state.

I wonder how Scott Walker would feel if there were any LGBT genes in DNA. Would he be okay with abortions if a fetus had one of those genes?
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-27, 13:09   #61
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

24×499 Posts

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...1060FP20150727

Quote:
The Boy Scouts of America is expected to end its ban on gay adult leaders on Monday, dismantling a policy that has deeply divided the membership of the 105-year-old Texas-based organization.
Old 2015-07-28, 08:47   #62
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...1060FP20150727
Quote:
The Boy Scouts of America is expected to end its ban on gay adult leaders on Monday, dismantling a policy that has deeply divided the membership of the 105-year-old Texas-based organization.
It's fascinating how quickly change has occurred, isn't it?
Do you think the change is sufficient reason for you to consider returning to your invaluable youth work with this organisation, Mike?

By the way, in another thread here we recently saw advocates of LGBT equality (equal marriage in the context of that thread) repeatedly accused of advocating rights for adults at the expense of rights for children. It's worth making the point in this case, equality in the BSA, that the effects of the lifting of the ban on gay adult scout leaders is very much in the children's interests. Nearly all gay people will report that as children they were, or more likely were not but would have been, helped beyond measure by having a gay adult role model such as a gay teacher or scout leader.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-28, 13:52   #63
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

7·13·17 Posts

Brian-E,

Quote:
By the way, in another thread here we recently saw advocates of LGBT equality (equal marriage in the context of that thread) repeatedly accused of advocating rights for adults at the expense of rights for children
I'm sorry you got that impression. But no, I was accusing society at large for focusing on adults rights at the expense of children. (Your posts just brought up my aggravation towards society at large in their treatment of children's rights. I'm sorry that it looked like I was taking it all out on you.)

Quote:
It's worth making the point in this case, equality in the BSA, that the effects of the lifting of the ban on gay adult scout leaders is very much in the children's interests.
I dispute this, so let me ask some pointed questions.

First, it was my impression that gay men are similar to straight men, in that they are attracted to those who have reached the point of puberty but are not legally adults. Is that correct? (No, I'm not talking about pedophilia, I'm talking about being attracted to those *past* puberty.) In other words, what is the youngest aged boy you have recently been attracted to? I can attest that straight men are regularly attracted to young women ages 15-16 and above, and it isn't a form of pedophilia.

Second, would it be in a young woman's best interest to have her go on overnight campouts with male leaders?

Last fiddled with by Zeta-Flux on 2015-07-28 at 14:11
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-28, 14:00   #64
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

24×499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
It's fascinating how quickly change has occurred, isn't it?
The change is not as it seems. This article explains why.

Quote:
Do you think the change is sufficient reason for you to consider returning to your invaluable youth work with this organisation, Mike?
We are not sure our work was invaluable but we do hope it was helpful.

We still have an issue with the Religious Declaration.

Some people want the gender ban lifted. We are not sure what the right answer is for that issue but we are willing to be educated.

Old 2015-07-28, 14:33   #65
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

7·13·17 Posts

Xyzzy,

Quote:
We still have an issue with the Religious Declaration.
I'm not sure anyone here noticed, but I didn't post anything last week because I spent all week at scout camp (yep, I'm an assistant scoutmaster). I find your comment interesting, because one of the things the boys mentioned as the best part of camp was the devotional.
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-28, 17:20   #66
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

11111001100002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta-Flux View Post
I find your comment interesting, because one of the things the boys mentioned as the best part of camp was the devotional.
In your council do they have an exclusive week of summer camp set aside for LDS troops? That is how it was in the council we served.

WRT the religious aspect, that is a very complex topic for us and we are unsure where to begin. We lack the energy to start a discussion about it but if pressed we would be willing to answer questions.