Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2014-06-03, 22:55   #45
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13·89 Posts

http://lgbtqblog.dallasnews.com/2014...-my-copy.html/

Could cross-post this in the Leviticalized thread. You gayz and your agenders. I mean what's next the math geeks will want a piece of the pie?

http://xkcd.com/1332/
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 17:46   #46
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

63058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post

Could cross-post this in the Leviticalized thread. You gayz and your agenders. I mean what's next the math geeks will want a piece of the pie?

No doubt it's indeed quite cross postable, and I'm suitably intrigued, but for nearly 24 hours since you posted the first link above I've been trying to load it without any success. The server doesn't seem to want to know. Any clues about what it's about?
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 18:08   #47
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

746010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post

As the song goes.....

Hate your neighbor,
But don't forget to say grace, ........

There is a gay agenda, of course.
The agenda is to obtain equal rights with everyone else.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 21:12   #48
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22×2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
No doubt it's indeed quite cross postable, and I'm suitably intrigued, but for nearly 24 hours since you posted the first link above I've been trying to load it without any success. The server doesn't seem to want to know. Any clues about what it's about?
Just for the record, the Dallas News link follows:
Quote:
Don Huffines criticizes Boy Scouts “gay agenda” — where’s my copy?

The Boy Scout uniform of Pascal Tessier, 17, a gay Eagle Scout from Kensington, Md., includes his merit badges and a rainbow-colored neckerchief slider, as he speaks in front of a group of Boy Scouts and scout leaders, Wednesday, May 21, 2014, outside the headquarters of Amazon.com in Seattle. The group delivered a petition to Amazon that was started as an online effort by Tessier and gathered more than 125,000 signatures, urging Amazon to stop donating money to the Boy Scouts due to the organization's policy of excluding openly gay adults from leadership positions, despite recently accepting gay youth as scouts. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)
I try not to use the word “stupid” very often. As someone who educates and advocates as a profession, judging someone or something to be stupid doesn’t allow for an open exchange of ideas in which we just might learn something.
But, stupid is at times a useful word. Some statements can be called nothing other than stupid. So, here goes.
Don Huffines has said something really, really, really stupid. Huffines, a Republican, is the favorite to become a new Texas state senator after defeating incumbent opponent John Carona in March.
Prior to entering the Senate race for the District 16 seat, he was the scoutmaster of Boy Scout Troop 125, according to a recent story in Park Cities People. The troop held its charter at Northwest Bible Church.
Last May, with a resounding 62 percent of member councils in support, Boy Scouts of America adopted a resolution that it would no longer deny membership to gay members. The Irving-based organization left in place its policy for adult leaders, which prohibits gay leaders from serving.
A few months after the vote, Northwest Bible Church officials notified Troop 125 that it would have to find a new place to meet, according to Park Cities People. No official from the church was quoted in the article, but Huffines surmised that the church did not agree with the national BSA decision to be inclusive of gay youth members. The troop has relocated its meetings to Grace Bible Church in the Preston Hollow neighborhood.
So, here’s the stupid. In disagreeing with the process and substance of the BSA decision, Huffines is quoted in the Park Cities story as saying, “They can’t be trusted not to open the door for more infiltration from the gay agenda. Eventually we’ll have gay scouts and gay scoutmasters and gay troops. They’ll keep coming until their mission is fulfilled.”
Um, what? Does anyone, and I mean, anyone, have a copy of the gay agenda? I can’t imagine after all these years, no one has sent me one via snail mail, fax, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Internet website or carved stone tablet. I mean, even call me, for goodness sake.
I’m mad as hell! All the conferences I’ve been to with national LGBT leaders and no one has even slipped me a copy under the table? All that schmoozing and cocktail-drinking I’ve endured for nothing? I feel left out.
I’m desperately trying to figure out what would be on said gay agenda. Heck, I’ll draft my own:
Wake up
Workout or walk dog or some combination of the two
Shower and dress quickly (due to numerous other tasks to follow)
Wake children
Feed children
Pack lunch, books, various and sundry other necessities for children
Kiss spouse while running out the door
Take children to school/daycare/music lesson/sports practice/study group etc.
Call mom and dad
Work. Hard, smart, fast and diligently
Do many witty and fabulous things
Feed the family
Assist with cleaning, homework, crisis-solving, playing, bathing and various other night-time rituals
Work again (hard, smart, fast and diligently)
Post something clever on Facebook and Twitter
Talk with spouse, preferably before falling asleep
Dream of equality for all
(end of list … or is it?)
The best way to rebut stupid is to laugh and work toward that last agenda item. I bet that’s what really freaks out Don Huffines – the infiltration of equality.
Cece Cox is CEO of the Resource Center and has been involved in LGBTQ advocacy for 30 years. She lives in Dallas, Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GAY_SCOUT_AMAZON_37736173.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	11275  
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 21:42   #49
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

CC516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Just for the record, the Dallas News link follows:
Thanks very much!
I'm guessing the Dallas News limits its availability according to location (perhaps only within the USA) based on IP address. I really cannot download it.
Old 2014-06-06, 09:15   #50
tha

Dec 2002

80710 Posts

Quote:
Thanks very much!
I'm guessing the Dallas News limits its availability according to location (perhaps only within the USA) based on IP address. I really cannot download it.
I had and have no problem reading it while using KPN in The Netherlands as provider. Maybe your browser and/or firewall block you because of too many words in the article are being filtert out.
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-06, 09:25   #51
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

CC516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha View Post
I had and have no problem reading it while using KPN in The Netherlands as provider. Maybe your browser and/or firewall block you because of too many words in the article are being filtert out.
You may be right. I'll make a note to update my browser in my gay agenda.

Last fiddled with by Brian-E on 2014-06-06 at 09:25
Old 2014-06-11, 20:51   #52
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7·467 Posts

It seems the US Attorney General has just publicly criticized the BSA's policy of banning gay adults from its organisation. I wonder how significant this is and whether it will have any effect on the policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attorney General Eric Holder
Like ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,’ [the ban is] a relic of an age of prejudice and insufficient understanding. Today, courageous lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals routinely put their lives on the line as members of America’s armed services. They inspire us, they protect us, and they defend us. And if these men and women are fit for military service, then surely they are fit to mentor, to teach, and to serve as role models for the leaders of future generations.
Old 2014-06-12, 00:42   #53
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

11110000011002 Posts

Quote:
I wonder how significant this is and whether it will have any effect on the policy.
Just part of the current administration's public relations campaign (as have both this and previous administrations done for other issues).

Doesn't have any special significance or signal anything specific on its own, though it may be part of a plan to encourage more public pressure on the Boy Scouts, where any policy change would be headline-worthy.

- - -

The government has no legal leverage on Scouting organizations, which are private entities.

Much more influential on Scout troops are the hosts of their meeting places. If Scouting ends its ban on gay leaders, many (I'm not saying "majority") churches will kick Scout troops out from the (typically) basement meeting areas the troops have been allowed to use for many years.

Some churches which do not eject troops on the basis of the national organization's change will do so when there are sufficient rumors (or facts) about gayness of leaders of their particular troops. Of course, there will be a massive rise in such rumors, justified or not, resulting in some ejections of troops with perfectly "straight" leadership. This issue will be used by some folks as a basis for magnifying any previously-existing frictions between Scout troops and their hosts.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2014-06-12 at 01:05
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-12, 08:09   #54
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7·467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Just part of the current administration's public relations campaign (as have both this and previous administrations done for other issues).

Doesn't have any special significance or signal anything specific on its own, though it may be part of a plan to encourage more public pressure on the Boy Scouts, where any policy change would be headline-worthy.
Ah well, I shouldn't have got quite so excited about it then.

I was hoping that the Attorney General might be seen as a bit more independent like a judge than as part of the administration, but I guess that was a false hope. I need to learn more about how the US governmental and judicial institutions interact with each other.
Old 2014-06-15, 04:38   #55
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Ah well, I shouldn't have got quite so excited about it then.

I was hoping that the Attorney General might be seen as a bit more independent like a judge than as part of the administration, but I guess that was a false hope. I need to learn more about how the US governmental and judicial institutions interact with each other.
The U.S. Attorney General is appointed by the President and is part of the President's cabinet (along with Secretaries of State, Defense, etc). He's definitely part of the executive branch, not the judicial branch, just as the FBI is an executive branch entity, not a judicial one.

The AG is mostly the head of the Justice Department, though he sometimes goes to federal court on behalf of the administration's side of a dispute being tried. The latter is usually performed by lower officials/attorneys in the Justice Dept. in most cases.

(Following is my personal theory, not established fact that I'm passing on: Because of his occasional role as chief attorney on the administration's side in federal court cases, his title is "Attorney General" rather than "Secretary of Justice", though he's just as administrative as the other cabinet Secretaries are in their respective departments. I could try to check whether that's factual, but am too lazy.)

State attorneys general are similar. On a county/municipal level, the corresponding officials are usually called "prosecutors" (which might make their one-sided role clearer to those new to U.S. government).

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2014-06-15 at 04:50
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote