mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2020-10-06, 20:44   #221
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

7·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis Wyler View Post
That notebook is pre-google_drive_mount_button, so you'd probably want to ignore the first 6 lines of that and use the mount button instead.
Thanks for sharing that knowledge. Yes, that was just the first "proof-of-concept" code I personally wrote. A /whole/ lotta further development work by many different people, and some changes with Colab itself, have occurred since.

Personally, I never mount Google Drives within Colab Instances, so definitely others (such as yourself) are more knowledgeable about the current state-of-the-art in that space.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-07, 01:23   #222
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

2·5·41 Posts

Since the poster had asked about mfaktc, not gpuowl, I managed to make that work, but I had a heck of a time getting it to compile. Still, for reference, here is my mfactc wallet:

%cd '/content/drive/My Drive/mfaktc1'
!chmod 755 ../bin/*
!cp ../bin/libcuda* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
!python2 ../bin/mlfloop.py -u staffen -p YeahRight -U staffen -P NoReally -g 600 -e 76 -t 0
!cat worktodo.txt
!../bin/mfaktc.exe

And here is the code I put together (starting from ATH's gpuOwl compile code, and modifying from there) to get the cursed thing to compile for a Tesla V100. Note that I put a copy of the Makefile from the tfaktc folder on my google drive, that had a line for compute_70 in it. 75 did not work, nor do any of the ones that come in it. It uses mlfloop.py to fetch work from gpu72 and upload it to primenet at the begining of the session. I used python2 to run that, because translating it into python3 made my hair turn grey.

%cd ~
!sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
!sudo apt install -y gcc-8
!sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-8 800
!sudo apt install -y g++-8
!sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-8 800
!sudo apt-get -y install
!sudo apt-get -y install lzip
!sudo apt-get -y install m4
!sudo apt-get -y install libtool
!sudo apt-get -y install subversion
!sudo apt-get -y install make
!sudo apt-get -y install autoconf
!sudo apt-get -y install automake
!sudo apt-get -y install cuda-toolkit-10-1
!sudo wget https://gmplib.org/download/gmp/gmp-6.2.0.tar.lz
!sudo tar --lzip -xvf gmp-6.2.0.tar.lz
%cd gmp-6.2.0
!./configure ABI=64 CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O3 -m64 -mavx -mavx2" --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --enable-cxx --enable-static --disable-shared
!make
!sudo make install

!wget http://www.mersenneforum.org/mfaktc/...tc-0.21.tar.gz
!tar -xvf mfaktc-0.21.tar.gz
%cd ./mfaktc-0.21/src/
!cp '/content/drive/My Drive/bin/Makefile' ./
!make

!cp ../mfaktc.exe '/content/drive/My Drive/bin/'
!cp /usr/local/cuda-10.1/targets/x86_64-linux/lib/libcudart.so.10.1 '/content/drive/My Drive/bin/'

Last fiddled with by Aramis Wyler on 2020-10-07 at 01:25
Aramis Wyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-31, 12:17   #223
butera

Oct 2012

11 Posts

I've spent the last few Saturday mornings trying to figure this out (I haven't done much coding since college), and I'm able to get almost everything to work, but I get stuck on the following lines

!cp -r '/content/drive/My Drive/bin/makefile' ./
!make

I get this error:

Reading makefiles...
Reading makefile 'makefile'...
make: *** makefile: Is a directory. Stop.

I'm not sure what exactly is holding things up (I don't know why it thinks makefile is a directory). Or is there an alternative, such as sharing the executable that you were able to create? Thanks!
butera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-31, 16:46   #224
chris2be8

Sep 2009

36258 Posts

Try:
Code:
!ls -ld makefile
That should tell you what it really is. If it is a file try posting the contents here (assuming it's not too big).

Chris
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 01:28   #225
LOBES

Mar 2019
USA

2×3×5 Posts

I wonder if there is something going on or if I've messed things up. Starting last night, I've not been able to keep a Colab session running for more than about 10 minutes. It starts up, starts processing (sometimes I choose "Connect to hosted runtime" and other times I don't, it doesn't seem to make any difference), but after about 10 minutes it all stops.

Once it stops, I click the little play button, and it starts up again fine...but stops soon after.

I'm not closing my browser, and my Internet isn't dropping. Nor have any network changes occurred that I am aware of (unless Verizon FiOS has done something).

This is on a paid Colab account...not a freebie.
LOBES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 02:08   #226
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

886310 Posts

Don't click the play button. Click on "Connect to hosted runtime" again. Also, the first time you do it, wait for the session to run for a minute.

That is my experience based upon the free.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 02:11   #227
RichD

Sep 2008
Kansas

C6316 Posts

I am getting the same run times on my paid account. Then early this morning I was only getting one instance for non-GPU. 13 hours later, when my 24-hour clock reset, I could get my usual four instances. Again, for only 10-15 minutes each, and a lot more P100 assignments. If this keeps up I will cancel my Pro account.
RichD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 05:18   #228
LOBES

Mar 2019
USA

2×3×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
I am getting the same run times on my paid account. Then early this morning I was only getting one instance for non-GPU. 13 hours later, when my 24-hour clock reset, I could get my usual four instances. Again, for only 10-15 minutes each, and a lot more P100 assignments. If this keeps up I will cancel my Pro account.
My last session lasted all of 12 minutes. At least it was a Tesla V100-SXM2-16GB.
LOBES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 07:45   #229
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1004410 Posts

I have been having the same issue with 2 paid accounts. I am still getting up to 12 hour runs on multiple CPU-only free accounts. I just ran through starting the four notebooks I usually run on one of the paid accounts. The longest running was 15 minutes. Reconnect did nothing. Before checking in here, on previous attempts, I got into clearing and factory resetting, with no better success. It seems to be a waste of time to try to run paid accounts right now.
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 13:48   #230
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100100011001012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
I have been having the same issue with 2 paid accounts. I am still getting up to 12 hour runs on multiple CPU-only free accounts. I just ran through starting the four notebooks I usually run on one of the paid accounts. The longest running was 15 minutes.
Yeah... Something weird is going on with the Paid Colab accounts.

People doing the Free tier work are petty much nominal. But those on the Paid tier are hardly getting anything at the moment.

Has anyone who's actually paying for this compute reached out to Colab, to ask what's going on?
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-05, 17:04   #231
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22·34·31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Yeah... Something weird is going on with the Paid Colab accounts.

People doing the Free tier work are petty much nominal. But those on the Paid tier are hardly getting anything at the moment.

Has anyone who's actually paying for this compute reached out to Colab, to ask what's going on?
I don't know contact information. Give me an address and I will inquire.
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote