mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > LaurV

Old 2015-04-04, 16:35   #67
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

110101111112 Posts

They call it a jet plate It does exactly what you think it does. They are not supposed to be consumable. My EK Supremacy EVO came with three but they're all slightly different. The waterblock is designed to fit several different CPU series so the best they could do was slightly alter the jet plate and part of the assembly to optimize for three common core layouts.

It all sounds like a bit of hocus pocus to me because I was recommended to swap out the jet plate for a slightly thinner one and use some plastic cover instead of a metal one. I really can't remember but it's one of the other pieces that pops out. I can't really imagine it makes that much of a difference but what the hell.

Just make sure your dimensions are the same when you make a new one. I am also very confused that they would use iron. Are you sure it isn't nickel?

You're not using swamp water are you?
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 18:10   #68
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11·157 Posts

My i7-5930K system is temporarily down. I'm not in the mood to muck around with it for now. The pump was starting to make some interesting gurgling noises like when it's pumping air bubbles.

Since it's air-tight I decided to pop open one of the caps at the top of the reservoir to see if maybe it needed to re-pressurize, and sure enough the water level dropped a bit. And kept dropping. And kept dropping. Then I saw the water pooling on the desk. Thankfully, the leak sprung at THE best place, i.e. the very bottom away from all the expensive electronics.

Inexplicably, water was rapidly spilling out of where the pump screws into the pump housing. I was able to tighten it a quarter turn (which is much further then where I originally had it. The fittings nearby are all dry so I'm 95% certain that the leak occurred there and that it's fixed. Things are drying up so I'll re-fill the reservoir and boot her up in a bit.

I always find it interesting that when the loop is well set up, there needs to be two "leaks" in order for water to actually escape. Water started to pour out at several ml per second but only when I opened the loop somewhere else.
Old 2015-04-26, 18:49   #69
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

CCD16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
I always find it interesting that when the loop is well set up, there needs to be two "leaks" in order for water to actually escape. Water started to pour out at several ml per second but only when I opened the loop somewhere else.
It's like in home plumbing in that regard, I suppose. That's why drain pipes are vented because you need that concept of "air behind water".

In a circulating system, and also since you mentioned the leak was at the bottom of the loop, you did indeed have the best place for a leak because any air trying to replace water dripping out is going to have to fight the weight of the water pushing back down. Like putting a finger over the top of a straw and lifting it out of the cup. The water wants to go down but vacuum blah blah air blah blah science.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-27, 00:59   #70
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

6BF16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
blah blah air blah blah science.
Yeah I've got it pretty much boiled down to that
Old 2015-04-28, 20:10   #71
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

So yeah that was pretty much it. The pump needed to be screwed on a bit tighter. Fittings often need this also so it's only somewhat surprising.

At the same time I dropped the cache frequency a couple of ticks and the voltage as well and things are running a good number of degrees cooler.
Old 2015-05-05, 19:57   #72
aurashift

Jan 2015

111111012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
Thankfully, the leak sprung at THE best place, i.e. the very bottom away from all the expensive electronics.
I've never done water cooling due to paranoia that something bad would happen. I just had a thought while reading your post though, why not lay the tower down so the face of the motherboard is facing the floor? Then even if you did have a leak, ....floor.
aurashift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-05, 23:11   #73
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

6BF16 Posts

I use a "bench" which isn't a case per se. It's open and allows for much easier tinkering which I have been doing occasionally with the computer. This is the first leak I've had with anything watercooled and it was certainly an unusual one at that.

Still, water cooling is more of a fun-to-do thing that isn't necessarily the smartest technical idea.
Old 2015-09-16, 06:37   #74
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

887110 Posts

This post is more for the "happy me" thread, but because I consider this thread like "my own blog" about hardware stuff (and would be happy to have some mod rights to purge the offtopic stuff but that is a different story) I will post it here.

The "happy me" part:

All my ol' v4-account assignments double checked, and all my expos under 40M double and triple checked. Triple checks by third parties, of course, from which Madpoo has a big slice, he was not confident in me DC-ing my old work and he TC it mostly by himself. Fortunately, he didn't find any mismatch. Unfortunately, he didn't find any prime, either

I told him (we had a long "argument" on PM about me DC-ing my onw work, hehe) that if he finds a prime, he keeps the fame and I keep George's money , but you see, I am thinking: for sure he didn't like this arrangement, because he didn't turn in any prime... Well, whatever...

Some people know that my Titan went MIA last spring (European spring, Thai don't have one ), and ever since, I am trying to repair it or to get a replacement. In August I ordered the last missing parts and got them, but didn't have any time to invest in soldering and measuring - I must do this at work, I don't have the right equipment at home, and we were moving in a new building, which is 40 km far from the old one - parenthesis: the distance for me is the same, just in a different direction from my house - mathematical conclusion: my house is on the median of the segment that connects the old factory and the new factory - end of mathematical conclusion - end of parenthesis - all in all, lot of new work, and didn't yet got all the equipment running in the new office.

Meantime I was searching the selling sites for another Titan, and last month found a good deal from a guy in US who was selling his "hydro copper" toy on ebay. The price was good, but the transportation/postal service was costing huge (almost $300!) and as you know from my former rants, I am a bit afraid to deal with ebay since strange things happened to my money (commented here around). So, I asked for help and Mike (Xyzzy) offered to buy the card for me (delivery in US was only ~$25) and ship it to me for a lower price. Which he did, without asking for any commission or favours, and even without asking me to send the money before (as it could be perfectly normal, if I would be him, I would ask the freaking LaurV whoever he was, to send me the money in advance! We don't know each-other in real life, and we did not meet outside of this forum!).

So, he bought the card, shipped it to me. We had some difficulties with the shipment, even now, a week after the successful delivery, if you go to the Thai tracking site and fill in the tracking number (CW602876321US) and drag the bar, it will say "Delivery Status Carded, Address not clear, No Recipient. Please contact destination post office in red, at the bottom of the page. Imagine my stress when I was tracking it and saw the message...

Anyhow, I went there (got leaving from job, desperate and scared, hehe), shown my passport, took the box. They were "totally confused" by Mike's handwriting, where "6" (in my home number) looked like "10" (there is a bar, and a small "o", separated), so there is no number "109" on my "village", and the farang name is not helpful, because I live in a rented house, whose owner is Thai, so they could not find me by name even if they asked, to give me the card. All is well when it ends well, so I went home, opened the box... Everything looking nice, no visible damage during transportation.

Sent the money.

Remark: this was after the card was in my hand, and not before, AND it saved me about $200 because Mike sent it to me cheaper (slower forwarder, lower insurance), AND it saved me about $30-$40 on custom import tax because due to Mike, the declared value was "more realistic" than when bought it directly from ebay, AND Mike never pushed me at all to send the money faster. This is "praise to Mike" paragraph, hehe. Buddy, if you ever come around Chiang Mai and I am still here, you have a door opened into my house, a room with king size bed and private bathroom for a week, and we share whatever we find in my fridge, beer included.

Of course, at this point I didn't know if the card was really working, but this was not Mike's problem anymore, he even said in the beginning that he has no way to test a water-cooled card. Which was accepted.

Now the problems start... Whoa! There is no problem, the card is working. But "small" problems always pop, here and there...

The first issue was that the card didn't have the water bridge (but this I somehow guessed from the photos on ebay, and from Mike's photos later, but I didn't comment, it was not important, but I still hoped), so the water outlets come out from the water block in the wrong places, and I could not put it instead of the former Titan (the one which is now broken, also bought from Mike long time ago and it served me very well for years, it was still air cooled, in spite of the fact that I have an EKWB Titan full water block in my drawers somewhere, never had time to make the substitution, and didn't really wanted to, as far as the card worked on air). The box had another 3x Asus GTX580 DCII, to which the original coolers were substituted with EKWB blocks, as explained earlier in this thread. There was no way to move them in any permutation in such a way that I could put the new Titan inside, without either an additional water bridge or at least two additional 90-degrees fittings - which are much narrow than the straight fittings and fit between the cards - the problem with EKWB-FC580 water blocks is that they have holes only in one side, you can not move the hole on the other side (as for Titan) or on top. So, even if your card is 2-slots (the DCII card is 3 slots, when air-cooled, the cooler is HUUUUGE!), you can't put 3 cards in 6 slots, because there is no space to bend the hoses without obturating them totally. You need water bridge for it. If they are "alone", you can "fan" them, i.e. they don't sit perpendicular on the mobo, but are a bit inclined in opposite directions, to allow space for bending the hose. The contacts in the slot are still good, and the power comes from top 12V connectors, so no danger. Or you use 7 slots. But in either case, there is no space for the Titan. I mean, there is a space for the air-cooled, but with the water cooled, no way to bend the hose, and the outlets are totally under the fitting (not the gummy hoses, but the metal fittings) of the 580 cards. No way.

Then guess what, I had to dig in the "rubbish boxes" for old gtx580 cards. I still had two of them which were older than the DC2 cards, also water cooled, but not overclocked - this is bad. Those two cards however, had no ekwb, but "black freezer" water blocks, also "full covered", and for "580 black freezers", the outlets of the water hoses are on top. Which is extremely good for my case!

Now I have in the box two 580s, not OC, and the new Titan. I had to move the Titan on the top slot, which required to move the outlets on the other side, but this is possible for the hydro-copper water block (it has holes on both sides and has blind plugs so you may be able to cascade them on either side without water bridge, if you have one hundred Titans in your rig, and this is a very good design from EVGA, assuming you only have Titans in your rig (well... in the future...)

And still have a spare slot for the case I can repair the old Titan - unfortunately still air cooled, now there is no space effectively, to install the Titan EK water block, no physical space there, the air cooler of EVGA Titan is thicker, but the EK water block is taller, and my space now it limited on the top. Thinking to buy PCIe cable, but let's see first the old Titan fixed...

And I still have 3x gtx580 Asus DC2 cards, with ekwb blocks (and still have the air blocks "like new", never used, somewhere in the scrap boxes) for spare. Bad part is that the black freezer 580 coolers do not fit to Asus 580 cards , but let's hope there will be no need to "replace damaged cards" anymore... At least for a while...

I had to work a long weekend for it, but now I am quite proud of my solution. Photos when I will get home.

So, we are back in business. Last days we resumed Manfred's test, which passed successfully the 150M mark (in just few minutes, it was so close to it!) and then after a day, it passed successfully the 155M mark (I have the partial residues file from Manfred). ETA is somewhere at 30-35 days. [edit: another reason to be happy: I don't need to pass you - general you - the ~2500GHzDays of credit, which would be otherwise lost, no I don't need to transfer the residues to anybody, I can continue my own work, hehe - end of edit]

Also (bad!) the non-OC 580's only produce ~420GHzD/D of TF each, as opposite to the Asus 580 DC2 cards which used to produce close to 440GHzD/D each. Now (bad again!) times 2 instead of times 3. Still acceptable. Well, they were not running all of them in the same time anyhow (that computer also does real-life work).

The new Titan, however, is about 5%-10% faster then the other one, due to OC and water cooling - it's hovering around ~90% TDP, the old one never reached over 85%, except in the beginning when it was starting to crunch and it was still cool.

And I still have... well.. I don't have any. I mean time. My lunch break is over for 3 minutes, and I am consuming company's time... And I am hungry... grrrr...skipped the lunch for this post...

Again, a million thanks to Mike!

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2015-09-16 at 07:15
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 14:09   #75
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2×3,853 Posts

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-18, 12:27   #76
airsquirrels

"David"
Jul 2015
Ohio

11·47 Posts

I am a pretty big fan of water cooling, it is definitely the only way we keep all the Furys from turning our office into a sauna. I try to use cases that keep the cards horizontal when possible so any minor leaks harmlessly go out the bottom of the case and are easily discovered and fixed. That said, the compression fittings are pretty good and if you are careful you won't leak.

I have managed two water incidents that damaged motherboards during the prototype build of our water loop, in both cases a 100% alcohol bath followed by high pressure air to flush debris and corrosion and a bake on the heat lamps repaired the boards. Most modern electronics have pretty good internal protection against minor shorts.

It is still horribly messy and a prototype installation, but it has been a fun project so far.

http://imgur.com/a/IAe0G

Last fiddled with by airsquirrels on 2015-09-18 at 12:28
airsquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-18, 18:48   #77
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

29·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsquirrels View Post
I am a pretty big fan of water cooling, it is definitely the only way we keep all the Furys from turning our office into a sauna. I try to use cases that keep the cards horizontal when possible so any minor leaks harmlessly go out the bottom of the case and are easily discovered and fixed. That said, the compression fittings are pretty good and if you are careful you won't leak.

I have managed two water incidents that damaged motherboards during the prototype build of our water loop, in both cases a 100% alcohol bath followed by high pressure air to flush debris and corrosion and a bake on the heat lamps repaired the boards. Most modern electronics have pretty good internal protection against minor shorts.

It is still horribly messy and a prototype installation, but it has been a fun project so far.

http://imgur.com/a/IAe0G
Fun pictures... I'd suggest using some of those 90-degree bend supports, like the ones used for PEX plumbing. Helps with strain relief and making sure you won't get any weird kinking. Maybe you have that already once past the prototype phase, but those sharp bends scared me.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote