chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

25·331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
When I was in graduate school, an unusual mathematics graduate student was admitted to the program. He had a slight speech difficulty, and was very poorly socialized. He had dyslexia. As a result, he had as a child been deemed mentally retarded, and at age twelve he was considered to be uneducable.

At age 17, he was admitted as a graduate student in mathematics.
Thank you for sharing that. Sincerely.

Dyslexia (and many other vectors in the spectrums) has only recently been identified as an area of study worth investing in. And managing those who might need some additional help interacting with "nominals"...

To share... For me personally, I could read about five times faster than most other people from a very early age. And, importantly, retain the pertinent knowledge.

But, ask me to speak verbally, and/or write out a message using a pen and paper without making many smelling mistakes? No chance.

I actually had to repeat grade three (#3; age 9,10) because my first teacher said I couldn't read. Seriously.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-03, 14:38   #13
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·7·211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
<snip>
But, ask me to speak verbally, and/or write out a message using a pen and paper without making many smelling mistakes? No chance.

I actually had to repeat grade three (#3; age 9,10) because my first teacher said I couldn't read. Seriously.
<snip>
Once when I was in third or fourth grade, we had a quiz on division. We worked a number of division problems and handed them in to the teacher (who happened to be a substitute that day).

The book used the รท sign for long division.

However, on my paper I wrote the division sign rotated 90 degrees, like \cdot\mid\cdot

When the teacher looked at my paper, she said something like "This one used a Martian division sign." But then she also said, "But he got them all right!"
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-03, 15:05   #14
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

32·11·23 Posts

Quote:
...However, on my paper I wrote the division sign rotated 90 degrees, like \cdot\mid\cdot...
Every now and then on other sites, somebody will present a basic math problem and ask other members to submit answers. Something like 5+5*(2*0)+6/3. Some will respond by writing that they do not understand the usage of * and /. I came to the conclusion they never did any programming or created spreadsheets. A bit amazed, actually.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-03, 18:53   #15
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·17·193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Every now and then on other sites, somebody will present a basic math problem and ask other members to submit answers. Something like 5+5*(2*0)+6/3. Some will respond by writing that they do not understand the usage of * and /. I came to the conclusion they never did any programming or created spreadsheets. A bit amazed, actually.
It's worse when they respond that the answer is 2.

There are worse things to be than dissleksik.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-05, 22:46   #16
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

25×331 Posts

Quote:
When the teacher looked at my paper, she said something like "This one used a Martian division sign." But then she also said, "But he got them all right!"
Somewhat along the lines of "Dyslexics Untie!"...

We're not joking when we say we get right and left backward all the time. Not only in the input streams, but also within our own heads.

And then people bring in the use of the word "Right" into the calculus to also signal a positive... Jolly good fun there...

Please... Save a dyslexic some stress.

When you mean Correct, or True et al, please just use the correct word. Don't use Right as a global substitute.

Bonus points: Please never say "Turn right here." when what you actually mean is "Turn left immmediately".

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2022-07-05 at 23:09 Reason: s/just use correct/just use the correct/; # Being pedantic can also be useful in some domains.
Old 2022-07-05, 23:42   #17
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

11001101000102 Posts

Quote:
When you mean Correct, or True et al, please just use the correct word. Don't use Right as a global substitute.
Alright, I will try to remember. You are right, the language can be confusing, right?
Quote:
Bonus points: Please never say "Turn right here." when what you actually mean is "Turn left immmediately".
Q: We turn left right here, right?
A: Right.
Q: It's left, right?
A; Right.
Q: The left path is right, right?
A: Right.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-06, 01:07   #18
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

245408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Alright, I will try to remember.
Thanks. I enjoy playing with you. And et al. 8-)

Not everyone gets the humor. But those that do tend to also get the deeper stuff. Eh? 9^)
Old 2022-07-06, 08:58   #19
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

3×13×293 Posts

Quote:
Somewhat along the lines of "Dyslexics Untie!"...

We're not joking when we say we get right and left backward all the time. Not only in the input streams, but also within our own heads.

And then people bring in the use of the word "Right" into the calculus to also signal a positive... Jolly good fun there...

Please... Save a dyslexic some stress.

It is, of course, well known that the Americans drive on the right side of the road. The British, on the other hand, drive on the correct side.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-06, 13:56   #20
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

2×33×197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
The British, on the other hand, drive on the correct side.
Sure, right.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-08, 01:39   #21
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

25×331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
It is, of course, well known that the Americans drive on the right side of the road. The British, on the other hand, drive on the correct side.
OK... All joking aside, let us please talk seriously about that...

In North America people tend to drive their vehicles with the driver's seat in the left-front position. And they tend to try to keep the "middle line" to their left.

In other countries (including England and Barbados) the driver tends to sit in the right-front position. And they tend to try to keep the "middle line" to their right".

Not trying to brag. Simply sharing my empirical... I found I was able to switch easily between these environments. Not all can.

And, Paul... Let us please not get into "inner" vs "outer", "up" vs "down", etc et al...

Heck... I sometimes find it difficult to find humans who can understand N, W, S, E, Z and T... 9^)