Old 2022-05-26, 14:34   #925
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhรคuser Gate

23×32×11 Posts

WRT Uvalde,

These are not verified yet:

It seems that the gunman was confronted by several armed officers, including a "resource officer" inside the school, before he started shooting children. but they failed to deter him.

Also, reports that it took the police 40 minutes to an hour before the police stormed the gunman's location and shot him.

Yet the police can quickly kill unarmed citizens of color with little effort.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 15:29   #926
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

73×89 Posts

The solution to a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with ... bad guy without a gun.

But we can't tell ahead of time who is "good" and who is "bad". So make that: The solution to a bad guy with a gun is no one with a gun.

There, problem solved. Now that wasn't too hard to figure out, was it. How come no one has thought of it before? Oh wait, lots of other countries have already figured that out. I guess some countries are just a bit slow on the uptake.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 19:02   #927
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

11,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
There is no need to work hard to come to a conclusion.

[Deletia]

To have a list like this is a travesty.
+1
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 23:20   #928
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

54358 Posts

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/statu...24085759385600

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitter
NEW: Texas law enforcement officials at a press conference say they believe that all the children that were shot and killed in Uvalde, TX were shot by the perpetrator and not anyone else [i.e. law enforcement].

To think that it is a possibility enrage me.

Last fiddled with by firejuggler on 2022-05-26 at 23:21
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 23:27   #929
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×3×439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
To think that it is a possibility enrage me.
I hope this is taken the way it is intended...

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2022-05-26 at 23:47 Reason: s/this /this is /;
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-27, 00:46   #930
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhรคuser Gate

23×32×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
As an outside observer, I am simply confused as to what is going on in the USA.

When I was being trained on how to use guns, I was first taught how dangerous they were. Watching an animal being shot through the heart, for example, made it very clear how dangerous these things were.

FWTW.

Part of the answer you are looking for, Chris, is the the NRA and the gun lobby has lots more money than school kids do.
So they just bought themselves an entire political party.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-27, 01:20   #931
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

16C016 Posts

Following the school shooting in Uvalde, the NRA will have its annual convention in Houston. Just as, coincidentally, they had their annual convention in Denver, hard on the heels of the Columbine shooting.

Houston authorities have planned "protest zones." So much for freedom of assembly. "Everything's OK. You're safe now."

The last occupant of the White House is scheduled to speak at the convention Saturday. The Secret Service is not allowing people to come in for that with guns, knives, pepper spray, backpacks, etc. So much for an armed citizenry as a safeguard against an abusive government.

The NRA's new official motto will be, "When life hands you a lemon, pull out a gun and start shooting."

The NRA will adopt a new official song, "Mamas, don't let your babies grow up."
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-27, 01:38   #932
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×3×439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
Part of the answer you are looking for, Chris, is the the NRA and the gun lobby has lots more money than school kids do. So they just bought themselves an entire political party.
Thanks for that.

I would say get your house in order. But, clearly, you can't.

Sucks to be you.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-27, 01:42   #933
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

22×3×5×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
The last occupant of the White House is scheduled to speak at the convention Saturday. The Secret Service is not allowing people to come in for that with guns, knives, pepper spray, backpacks, etc. So much for an armed citizenry as a safeguard against an abusive government.
After all, they need to protect the guy that wanted to order police to open fire on peaceful protesters. If the protest is peaceful, they can shoot the protesters, if it's violent they have to just watch (if the protesters are white).

Last fiddled with by slandrum on 2022-05-27 at 01:43
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-27, 12:10   #934
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

26·7·13 Posts

From a list of victims in Los Angeles Times. Ages not given had not yet been confirmed before publication.

Students:

Alexandria Aniyah Rubio, 10
Alithia Ramirez, 10
Amerie Jo Garza, 10
Annabell Guadalupe Rodriguez, 10
Eliahana Cruz Torres, 10
Eliana โ€œEllieโ€ Garcia, 9
Jackie Cazares, 10
Jailah Nicole Silguero, 10
Jayce Luevanos, 10
Jose Flores, 10
Layla Salazar, 10
Makenna Lee Elrod, 10
Maite Rodriguez
Miranda Mathis, 11
Nevaeh Bravo
Rojelio Torres, 10
Tess Marie Mata
Uziyah Garcia, 10
Xavier Lopez, 10

Teachers:

Eva Mireles, 44
Irma Garcia

And, we have a bonus!

Texas school shooting: Husband of killed teacher 'dies of grief'
Quote:
On Twitter, a nephew of Mrs Garcia, John Martinez, said that Mr Garcia had "passed away due to grief" in the wake of his wife's murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitter
EXTREMELY heartbreaking and come with deep sorrow to say that my Tia Irmaโ€™s husband Joe Garcia has passed away due to grief, i truly am at a loss for words for how we are all feeling, PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR FAMILY, God have mercy on us, this isnโ€™t easy pic.twitter.com/GlUSOutRVV
โ€” john martinez โค๏ธโ€๐Ÿ”ฅ (@fuhknjo) May 26, 2022
A local Fox affiliate has reported that Mr Garcia died of a heart attack.

The Garcias leave behind four children - two boys and two girls - ranging from 12 to 23 years old.

In the aftermath of the deadly shooting in Uvalde, Mr Martinez told the New York Times that Mrs Garcia was found by officers "embracing children in her arms pretty much until her last breath".

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-05-27 at 12:10 Reason: fignix posty
Old 2022-05-28, 12:31   #935
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

26·7·13 Posts

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says he was 'misled' about the Uvalde shooting police response
Quote:
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said during a press conference in Uvalde that he was "misled" about the police response to the shooting at the Robb Elementary School.

He said the information that he provided at a press conference two days ago was a recitation of what law enforcement had told him in a room beforehand.

He said he's livid that some of that information has turned out to be wrong and he expects law enforcement to thoroughly investigate what happened.
<snip>
Col. Steven McCraw of the Texas Department of Public Safety said at a Friday news conference that in hindsight it was the wrong decision to not enter the classroom sooner in Uvalde, Texas, where a gunman was located for more than an hour.

He said there were "plenty of officers" inside the school from the earliest minutes of the shootout, and as many as 19 officers from local and federal forces were in the hallway most of the time.
<snip>
McCraw also provided more information about how the shooter was able to gain access to the building: A teacher left the school to get her cell phone when she heard the nearby car crash and shots, but then as she re-entered, she propped the door open. The gunman had been hiding behind a car nearby, he said.
<snip>
There's a term to describe this sort of thing. Cluster something-or-other. This one is Texas-sized.