mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Old 2003-12-14, 05:21   #1
Jahodas

Nov 2003
K-Vegas

2 Posts
Default Majoring in Math

Hi. I saw the thread the TravisT made and it made me do a little thinking. I'm a high school senior right now with interests in math and physics. I've been accepted to NC State and I'm probably going to be majoring in both mechanical engineering [for the job opportunities] and mathematics [because I love it]. I'm a little...frightened by the idea of majoring in mathematics after reading a lot of these posts over the past few months. How difficult would you say it is to major in mathematics? What kinds of classes are there available? I’ve never really considered what to do after calculus other than differential calculus, so what else is there? If I wanted to pursue graduate studies in mathematics, where would be a good place to do so?

If you have the time or interest, I’d also like to know what kind of math educations you guys have. Also, does anyone know if the fact that I’m 17 makes me somehow ineligible for the EFF prize money, should my prime candidate indeed be prime, that is? I might be 18 by the time it finishes running the LL test.

Any responses greatly appreciated!
Jahodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-14, 05:29   #2
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

5·7·227 Posts

I can't help you with any of those questions, but sometime you'll have to stop by and visit the mersenneforum.org headquarters, which are right down the street from NCSU...

Did you know that Raleigh/Durham NC and Barberton OH are the centers of the math universe?
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-14, 06:06   #3
Orgasmic Troll
Cranksta Rap Ayatollah

Jul 2003

641 Posts

Well, as you know, I haven't gotten very far, but if its any consolation, I didn't even take calculus my senior year because I was afraid of hitting my math limit. (something along the lines of "yeah, I was good at algebra/pre-calc, but what if calculus is too hard?") and then I ended up in art school for two years, but my science/math hunger got too strong. At first, I decided to major in computer science, in case I did hit my math limit. Needless to say, I haven't hit it yet, and at this point, I don't imagine I will :)
Orgasmic Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-14, 08:49   #4
Complex33

Aug 2002
Texas

9B16 Posts

Hey Jahodas. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in math, the minor just kind of tags along with engineering. I'm also almost finished with a MS in ME with relevant graduate math classes. I think you are on an excellent path. Don't be too concerned with majoring in mathematics, it all comes in due course. As for types of classes, you have multivariate calculus, integral calculus, differential equations of various forms, which by the way are the crux of engineering, linear algebra, statistics, PDE's, and then you can get into numerical methods to solve all of this stuff, and on and on. There is no shortage to the language of science. Don't let this overwhelm you though, you don't have to have your path completely laid out at this stage. Just try stuff and see what you like, the jobs will come later. Just a few thoughts from a crazy grad student. PM me if you like.

Last fiddled with by Complex33 on 2003-12-14 at 08:50
Complex33 is offline   Reply With Quote