Old 2020-11-27, 14:49   #1145
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

11078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
A couple decades ago when states started passing required helmet laws for motorcyclists a big stink was raised in some state by the motorcyclists using the same freedom blah blah arguments being used today about mask mandates. So a law was passed that if a motorcyclist died in an accident while not wearing a helmet, their life insurance policy would be null and void. I don't know if the law still stands or if it was tossed out.

I have read and seen numerous stories about nurses telling about patients with covid who refuse to believe they are actually suffering from covid. Non mask wearers, no doubt.

How about a law: you don't want to wear a mask, OK but you don't get to clog up a hospital when you become infected.
Of course the logistics are difficult.

It's going to get VERY grippy here in the new-s-a in about 10 days to 2 weeks as the Thanksgiving superspreader event starts to manifest itself and hospitals, which are teetering on the brink now, fall off a cliff.
It;s going to be a bleak Christmas.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-27, 15:59   #1146
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23·181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
A couple decades ago when states started passing required helmet laws for motorcyclists a big stink was raised in some state by the motorcyclists using the same freedom blah blah arguments being used today about mask mandates.
<snip>
Yes, the "I have the right not to wear a helmet while motorcycling" reflects a mindset similar to the "I have right to be reckless about spreading a contagious disease."

This instance is worse IMO in that it has a yahoo-in-office threatening an entire public agency -- a health district -- for trying to do its job. Or I should say, part of its job. Public health agencies typically deal with much more than trying to control the spread of dangerous diseases -- like making sure people can eat the food prepared by restaurants or outdoor vendors; to buy the food at grocery stores; to stay at motels; or to use other public accommodations and facilities, without getting sick.
Quote:
It's going to get VERY grippy here in the new-s-a in about 10 days to 2 weeks as the Thanksgiving superspreader event starts to manifest itself and hospitals, which are teetering on the brink now, fall off a cliff.
It;s going to be a bleak Christmas.
The Great Leaver and wife issued a Thanksgiving Proclamation. If memory serves (and of course, my memory isn't as good as it used to be), the Proclamation urged people to gather in large groups indoors for gluttony and/or giving thanks to God for their many blessings. And, if they smell gas, search for the leak with a lit candle.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-27, 16:15   #1147
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

29×167 Posts

A long article on present and lasting psychological effects of the current pandemic and responses to it. https://www.thecut.com/2020/11/covid...al-health.html
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-08, 17:34   #1148
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

2×7×113 Posts

If you go to Barcelona zoo, stay a couple of meters away from the lions - apparently, 4 of them have Covid (and yes it was a swab test).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55229433
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-08, 19:06   #1149
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

29·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
If you go to Barcelona zoo, stay a couple of meters away from the lions
That's a good policy for all apex predators in any event. Or 2 km if they're not well confined.
How far does a lion sneeze or cough travel I wonder.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-12-08 at 19:08
Old 2020-12-08, 19:26   #1150
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
How far does a lion sneeze or cough travel I wonder.
That would depend entirely on whether the lion is adhering to the local face covering regulations.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-09, 02:18   #1151
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

3×3,049 Posts

Nice one Brian, welcome back (didn't see you posting for a while).

re: infected animals: The imbecility is going a bit too far, haha.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-09, 02:29   #1152
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

416310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
That would depend entirely on whether the lion is adhering to the local face covering regulations.
Good one!

When I was in a grocery store some months back, I pointed to the sign about service dogs and asked the "greeter" if the dogs had to wear masks.

At a recent hearing, Rudy Giuliani asked a witness sitting near him to take off her mask. She declined. Rudy was admitted to MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Sunday, after testing positive (sez the prez) for COVID19 and reportedly exhibiting symptoms. I still don't have good confirmation on the diagnosis, but hospitals don't generally admit patients without a good reason.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-09, 02:42   #1153
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

29·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
I nominate the hypocritical pols that don't follow their own mandates for the task of enforcing predator mask mandates, and the local predator megafauna for enforcing term limits.
Old 2020-12-15, 00:55   #1154
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

BC116 Posts

LED lights found to kill coronavirus: Global first in fight against COVID-19
https://aftau.org/news_item/led-ligh...inst-covid-19/
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-15, 01:55   #1155
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

29×317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
LED lights found to kill coronavirus: Global first in fight against COVID-19
However most of the transmission is during the short time droplets move from one person to another. Surface transmission is not well documented. Also, it has been poor ventilation in general. There are already UV systems available for air handling systems.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote