mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-26, 11:39   #1
garo
 
garo's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

3·919 Posts
Default What every American should be made to learn about

the IG Torture report

From http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwa.../24/ig_report/

Glenn Greenwald

I wrote earlier today about Eric Holder's decision to "review" whether criminal prosecutions are warranted in connection with the torture of Terrorism suspects -- that can be read here -- but I want to write separately about the release today of the 2004 CIA's Inspector General Report (.pdf), both because it's extraordinary in its own right and because it underscores how unjust it would be to prosecute only low-level interrogators rather than the high-level officials who implemented the torture regime. Initially, it should be emphasized that yet again, it is not the Congress or the establishment media which is uncovering these abuses and forcing disclosure of government misconduct. Rather, it is the ACLU (with which I consult) that, along with other human rights organizations, has had to fill the void left by those failed institutions, using their own funds to pursue litigation to compel disclosure. Without their efforts, we would know vastly less than we know now about the crimes our government committed.
Before saying anything about the implications of this Report, I want to post some excerpts of what CIA interrogators did. Every American should be forced to read and learn this in order to know what was done in their names (click images to enlarge):

Threats of execution

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...8/s400/ig8.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...o/s400/ig2.png

Threats to kill detainee and his children:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...g/s400/ig5.png

Pressure points on carotid artery
:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...M/s400/ig6.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...4/s400/ig7.png

Threats to rape detainee's female relatives in front of him:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...8/s400/ig3.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...c/s400/ig4.png

"Buttstroking" with rifles and knee kicks:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...s400/ig-10.png

Blowing smoke in detainee's face for five minutes:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...o/s400/ig9.png

More "convincing and poignant" waterboarding of the type we prosecuted Japanese war criminals for using:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...8/s400/ig1.png

Numerous detainee deaths and other abuses
:

The IG Report also documents numerous other abuses that have been documented by prior OLC memos, including having waterboarded detainees 82 and 183 times; hanging them by their arms until interrogators thought their shoulders might be dislocated; stepping on their ankle shackles to cause severe bruising and pain; putting them in a diapers and leaving them doused with water on cold concrete floors in cold temperatures to induce hypothermia, etc. Some of the numerous deaths of detainees during interrogations were also discussed (for details on detainee deaths, see here and here). After documenting all of that, the IG Report notes:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb.../s400/ig-a.png
* * * * *
For all the talk about how clearly legal the CIA methods were -- or, at worst, that they mistakenly believed in "good faith" that it was legal -- the reality is that even those who participated in the program worried that their actions were criminal, would subject them to prosecution, and would destroy the reputation of the CIA:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb.../s400/ig-e.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb.../s400/ig-b.png

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbbQ/SpMnoeua3BI/AAAAAAAACGA/Cb3vB4ZyAfk/s400/ig-f.png
[/IMG]

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb.../s400/ig-g.png

Here's how the IG Report described the conduct of the CIA interrogators -- "inhumane":

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbbQ/SpMmDRbKUbI/AAAAAAAACFQ/Irep3JkA-Yk/s400/ig-c.png
Perhaps worst of all, the Report notes that many of the detainees who were subjected to this treatment were so treated due to "assessments that were unsupported by credible intelligence" -- meaning there was no real reason to think they had done anything wrong whatsoever. As has been known for quite some time, many of the people who were tortured by the United States were completely innocent -- guilty of absolutely nothing.
Manifestly, none of this happened by accident. As the IG Report continuously notes, all of these methods were severe departures from long-standing CIA guidelines (if not practices). This all occurred because the officials at the highest levels of the U.S. Government pronounced that this was permissible, the protections of the Geneva Conventions were "quaint," obsolete and inapplicable, and the U.S. was justified in doing anything and everything in the name of fighting Terrorists. As stomach-turning as these individual acts of sadism are, it is far worse to consider that only low-level interrogators will suffer consequences while those who were truly responsible -- the criminally depraved leaders and lawyers who ordered and authorized it -- will be protected.

The historical record of what the U.S. did during this period is clear and growing. The only question that remains is what, if anything, we will do now that we are seeing the full picture.

Last fiddled with by garo on 2009-08-26 at 11:48
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 11:53   #2
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
the IG Torture report

From http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwa.../24/ig_report/

Glenn Greenwald

I wrote earlier today about Eric Holder's decision to "review" whether criminal prosecutions are warranted in connection with the torture of Terrorism suspects -- that can be read here -- but I want to write separately about the release today of the 2004 CIA's Inspector General Report (.pdf), both because it's extraordinary in its own right and because it underscores how unjust it would be to prosecute only low-level interrogators rather than the high-level officials who implemented the torture regime. Initially, it should be emphasized that yet again, it is not the Congress or the establishment media which is uncovering these abuses and forcing disclosure of government misconduct. Rather, it is the ACLU (with which I consult) that, along with other human rights organizations, has had to fill the void left by those failed institutions, using their own funds to pursue litigation to compel disclosure. Without their efforts, we would know vastly less than we know now about the crimes our government committed.
Before saying anything about the implications of this Report, I want to post some excerpts of what CIA interrogators did. Every American should be forced to read and learn this in order to know what was done in their names (click images to enlarge):

Threats of execution

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...8/s400/ig8.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...o/s400/ig2.png

Threats to kill detainee and his children:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...g/s400/ig5.png

Pressure points on carotid artery
:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...M/s400/ig6.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...4/s400/ig7.png

Threats to rape detainee's female relatives in front of him:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...8/s400/ig3.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...c/s400/ig4.png

"Buttstroking" with rifles and knee kicks:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...s400/ig-10.png

Blowing smoke in detainee's face for five minutes:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...o/s400/ig9.png

More "convincing and poignant" waterboarding of the type we prosecuted Japanese war criminals for using:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb...8/s400/ig1.png

Numerous detainee deaths and other abuses
:

The IG Report also documents numerous other abuses that have been documented by prior OLC memos, including having waterboarded detainees 82 and 183 times; hanging them by their arms until interrogators thought their shoulders might be dislocated; stepping on their ankle shackles to cause severe bruising and pain; putting them in a diapers and leaving them doused with water on cold concrete floors in cold temperatures to induce hypothermia, etc. Some of the numerous deaths of detainees during interrogations were also discussed (for details on detainee deaths, see here and here). After documenting all of that, the IG Report notes:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb.../s400/ig-a.png
* * * * *
For all the talk about how clearly legal the CIA methods were -- or, at worst, that they mistakenly believed in "good faith" that it was legal -- the reality is that even those who participated in the program worried that their actions were criminal, would subject them to prosecution, and would destroy the reputation of the CIA:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb.../s400/ig-e.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb.../s400/ig-b.png

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbbQ/SpMnoeua3BI/AAAAAAAACGA/Cb3vB4ZyAfk/s400/ig-f.png
[/IMG]

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbb.../s400/ig-g.png

Here's how the IG Report described the conduct of the CIA interrogators -- "inhumane":

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbbQ/SpMmDRbKUbI/AAAAAAAACFQ/Irep3JkA-Yk/s400/ig-c.png
Perhaps worst of all, the Report notes that many of the detainees who were subjected to this treatment were so treated due to "assessments that were unsupported by credible intelligence" -- meaning there was no real reason to think they had done anything wrong whatsoever. As has been known for quite some time, many of the people who were tortured by the United States were completely innocent -- guilty of absolutely nothing.
Manifestly, none of this happened by accident. As the IG Report continuously notes, all of these methods were severe departures from long-standing CIA guidelines (if not practices). This all occurred because the officials at the highest levels of the U.S. Government pronounced that this was permissible, the protections of the Geneva Conventions were "quaint," obsolete and inapplicable, and the U.S. was justified in doing anything and everything in the name of fighting Terrorists. As stomach-turning as these individual acts of sadism are, it is far worse to consider that only low-level interrogators will suffer consequences while those who were truly responsible -- the criminally depraved leaders and lawyers who ordered and authorized it -- will be protected.

The historical record of what the U.S. did during this period is clear and growing. The only question that remains is what, if anything, we will do now that we are seeing the full picture.
We also need a formal investigation as to whether Bushie and company
violated their oaths of office by their 4th amendement violations and
whether they committed TREASON by deliberately starting a
war under false pretenses. IMO, they did. They should be tried,
convicted, then hanged.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 11:57   #3
garo
 
garo's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

3×919 Posts
Default

I agree Bob. Unfortunately, the Obama administration insists on narrowing the scope of the inquiry to see if any CIA people went beyond the OLC memos on torture. Anyone who tortured or killed in line with the OLC memos will not be prosecuted. Anyone who was formulated these policies will not be held responsible. It is really frustrating because a prosecution of the Bushies as you say would send a really clear message that will be heard across the world, will immediately raise US standing all over the world paying soft power dividends which will help the US for decades and put terror into the hearts of torturers the world over including US allies such as Saudi Arabia.

Last fiddled with by garo on 2009-08-26 at 11:59
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 14:02   #4
Zeta-Flux
 
Zeta-Flux's Avatar
 
May 2003

110000010112 Posts
Default

You believe a threat of execution is a form of torture?
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 14:03   #5
garo
 
garo's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

3×919 Posts
Default

It doesn't matter what I believe. What matters is what the law says. And it say threat of execution is torture and a felony in the United States.

Plus there have been at least 100 deaths in US custody so quite clearly some of these threats were carried out. Evidence in the form of autopsy reports can be found linked in the article.

Last fiddled with by garo on 2009-08-26 at 14:05
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 15:33   #6
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

2×7×829 Posts
Default

Excellent summary of the appalling goings-on under BushCheney & Co, garo.

If I didn't know better, I'd be inclined to believe that there was a quid pro quo between the incoming and outgoing administrations and capitol hill lawmakers to not go after these criminals (especially the top guys who set policy) aggressively, and to blame low-level operatives (e.g. CIA "rogue" field agents and John Yu lawyer-types) for all the crimes.

When you have become no better than the "evil" you claim to be fighting, what kind of "victory" is possible?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 18:57   #7
Zeta-Flux
 
Zeta-Flux's Avatar
 
May 2003

7·13·17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
It doesn't matter what I believe. What matters is what the law says. And it say threat of execution is torture and a felony in the United States.
I was unaware of this. Where does it say this?
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 19:58   #8
garo
 
garo's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

3·919 Posts
Default

Zeta-Flux, you evidently did not read the article. Here is a link to the US Law Code:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...0----000-.html

And I quote:
Quote:
As used in this chapter—
(1) “torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;
(2) “severe mental pain or suffering” means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from— (A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;
(B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;
(C) the threat of imminent death; or
(D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality; and

(3) “United States” means the several States of the United States, the District of Columbia, and the commonwealths, territories, and possessions of the United States.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 21:11   #9
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

9,341 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
C) the threat of imminent death;
That is not the same as threat of execution. A police officer can say, "If you don't tell us ...... you'll get a needle in your are. You know in our state we have the death penalty." That is exceptable, even if it is not true. As are threats of other punishment that may or may not be imposed by the courts. If Officer Elliot says, "Tell us, or I am going to beat you and my buddies will look the other way." that is not legal.

Threat of judicial action is not torture.

{I am not advocating a stance.} IANAL
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 21:18   #10
garo
 
garo's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

3·919 Posts
Default

How do you know that judicial action was threatened? Have you even bothered to read the article?

Key word here is "imminent". Read the whole article. Only then can we have a knowledgeable discussion.

Last fiddled with by garo on 2009-08-26 at 21:19
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 21:44   #11
Zeta-Flux
 
Zeta-Flux's Avatar
 
May 2003

30138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
Zeta-Flux, you evidently did not read the article. Here is a link to the US Law Code:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...0----000-.html
Thank you for the link. If I'm reading it correctly, it is torture to administer "truth-serum" type drugs also. Is that right?
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shari’a Law American Style only_human Soap Box 6 2016-07-22 01:06
Which programming language i shall learn? kakos22 Programming 4 2010-08-12 12:02
When will they learn BotXXX Factoring 4 2006-07-12 02:26
Would like to learn the math behind the factoring programs. jasong Factoring 18 2006-06-11 01:37
How did you learn about the project? Citrix Prime Sierpinski Project 11 2005-10-02 20:39

All times are UTC. The time now is 14:34.

Thu Feb 25 14:34:16 UTC 2021 up 84 days, 10:45, 0 users, load averages: 4.53, 4.19, 4.01

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.