mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Computer Science & Computational Number Theory

Old 2014-12-29, 02:23   #23
D. B. Staple

Nov 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia

3816 Posts

The double-check for π(286) completed; the result was consistent with the value I posted on Dec. 17.

Regarding timing and resource usage, I am going to release that information when I write up this work for publication. I don't plan to run calculations for other bases, because there is no limit to how many such calculations one can do. I computed π(1026) because the powers of ten have been the most competitive historically. I computed π(2m) for m ≤ 86 because I find two a natural base, and because there were some other powers of two for large heights available to which I could compare. This served as an additional opportunity to check my software.

Thank you everyone for being interested in these calculations!
D. B. Staple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 04:27   #24
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

135418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. B. Staple View Post
Thank you everyone for being interested in these calculations!
I am, very much! I hope you will post here when the preprint is available on the arXiv (or your website, or when it's published)?
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 06:00   #25
D. B. Staple

Nov 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia

23·7 Posts

Quote:
I am, very much! I hope you will post here when the preprint is available on the arXiv (or your website, or when it's published)?
Yes, I will definitely post back here when I have more to share.
Old 2014-12-30, 13:02   #26
XYYXF

Jan 2005
Minsk, Belarus

1100100002 Posts

Any thoughts about 10^27?
XYYXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 01:37   #27
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

E5C16 Posts

Douglas' paper is out: http://arxiv.org/abs/1503.01839
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 02:17   #28
D. B. Staple

Nov 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia

23×7 Posts

Quote:
Douglas' paper is out: http://arxiv.org/abs/1503.01839
It's true! Thank you for noticing. I actually just got the notice myself, so you are exceptionally fast. If anyone finds any typos, omissions, or errors, please let me know. Again, I am really happy at the interest in these calculations and this paper.
Old 2015-03-09, 11:45   #29
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

547 Posts

Though I didn't read all of the article yet, here are some comments.

You don't define what a "node" is. The first occurrence of "node" page 6 talks about 16 threads, and given that you talk about 2 8-core CPUs in Appendix A, I assume it's a set of cores sharing memory.

Did you try to play with hyper-threading? On my 4770K (4 cores, 8 threads with HT), using Walish library (from last December) I get 1.5s for 10^15 with 12 threads while I only get 2.2s with 4 threads. It seems Walisch implementation is about twice faster than yours (accounting for threads and frequency difference); I guess this is due to your memory usage improvements?

I found a missing word on page 2 line +4:
Quote:
The problem of counting the number of primes up to some limit
ldesnogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 13:29   #30
D. B. Staple

Nov 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia

23×7 Posts

Quote:
Though I didn't read all of the article yet, here are some comments.
Thanks -- I'll fix each of these points in the next version. (Yes, a node is a shared-memory computer. Multiple nodes together make a cluster. I typically use 16-core nodes with 64 or 128 GB of ram each.)

Re: hyper-threading, my code is also significantly faster with hyper-threading enabled, to a similar degree as what you're seeing with the implementation from Kim Walisch. Unfortunately hyper-threading is not enabled on one of the best clusters in Canada, where I ran my calculations. I've spoken to the people in charge and they're planning to enable it some time this year, which will take some time on ~1000 compute nodes.

I also noticed that the implementation by Kim Walisch is faster than mine. I think their implementation is just more numerically efficient than mine. I wrote the bulk of my pi(x) software while I was still working as a physicist. I improved my optimization skills a lot while writing that code, and am now working full-time as a software engineer.

If you've looked at the sieve of Eratosthenes implementation by Kim Walisch, you'll see that it is incredibly efficient. I think Kim Walisch and Tomás Oliveira e Silva are two of the most efficient low-level coders I've ever seen. I'm glad I didn't know about the implementation by Kim Walisch, or it would have interfered with my project. However, I will probably go back now and read through their code and see what I can learn.

It's a bit interesting to me that I managed to "beat" Kim Walisch to pi(10^26) despite the fact that they are apparently a more efficient low-level coder (for now). My feeling is that they (1) were probably missing the algorithm for between-node (distributed memory) parallelism and (2) had more trouble getting the memory usage down. I'm going to send them an email here shortly.

Sorry that was a bit long-winded. Please send me any more corrections you find.
Old 2015-03-10, 04:51   #31
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

32·5·7·19 Posts

Great paper! Two small points on p. 1: I'd write "limited to time complexity \Omega(n/\log n)" rather than "limited to time complexity O(n/\log n)" -- even though people would probably understand it the other way, you might as well be correct. And surely the complexity of Meissel's method was x^{1-\varepsilon} for some small \varepsilon>0, not just any \varepsilon>0?
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 08:27   #32
R. Gerbicz

"Robert Gerbicz"
Oct 2005
Hungary

22·367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
And surely the complexity of Meissel's method was x^{1-\varepsilon} for some small \varepsilon>0, not just any \varepsilon>0?
Yes, that couldn't be for any eps>0 (let eps=2).

Last fiddled with by R. Gerbicz on 2015-03-10 at 08:32
R. Gerbicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 19:10   #33
D. B. Staple

Nov 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia

23×7 Posts

Quote:
Two small points on p. 1...
Quote:
Yes, that couldn't be for any eps>0 (let eps=2).
Thanks! Good catch. Yes, you are both right, I am colloquial to the point of incorrect in those two places.