mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Archived Projects > NFSNET Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-02-24, 02:05   #1
frmky
 
frmky's Avatar
 
Jul 2003
So Cal

7·13·23 Posts
Default Sieving almost done...

Looking at the stats, we have about 8 million relations to go to complete the required 82 million. Since the beginning of February, NFSNet's been averaging over 1 million relations per day...even if we ignore the three recent near 2 million days. So it looks like sieving will be done in about a week or so! Sieving for a record factorization in 4.5 months! Nice job!

Greg
frmky is offline  
Old 2004-02-24, 02:26   #2
Wacky
 
Wacky's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
The Texas Hill Country

32·112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frmky
NFSNet's been averaging over 1 million relations per day...even if we ignore the three recent near 2 million days.
Don't ignore them. We expect them to continue for the next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frmky
So it looks like sieving will be done in about a week or so!
Actually, we are in the process of doing an analysis of the data in hand to revise the estimate of 82 million relations. My preliminary thought is that we may need to add a few more. I'm currently guessing 84 million, but will have a better idea after tonight's filter run finishes. Unless my estimates are off, we might start switching projects as early as Sunday.

I encourage everyone who is running on Microsoft Windows systems to upgrade to the version 1.0 release if they have not done so. (If you are running in the "Cantab" pool, you have not done the upgrade.)
Wacky is offline  
Old 2004-02-24, 09:21   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

101001101110102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacky
Unless my estimates are off, we might start switching projects as early as Sunday.
The next project will be to factor the Cunningham Most Wanted Number 10,223+.c201. This is the 201-digit cofactor of 10^223+1. A few small factors are already known.

One of my machines began sieving a few thousand lines yesterday so that we can estimate how much effort will be needed to complete the factorization. First results suggests that about 25 million lines will be enough and that this will require about 9000 WU of effort. More precise figures will be available when we've analyzed the results of the survey sieving.

Paul
xilman is offline  
Old 2004-02-24, 14:30   #4
junky
 
junky's Avatar
 
Jan 2004

7×19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
One of my machines began sieving a few thousand lines yesterday so that we can estimate how much effort will be needed to complete the factorization. First results suggests that about 25 million lines will be enough and that this will require about 9000 WU of effort. More precise figures will be available when we've analyzed the results of the survey sieving.
Paul
only 25 M lines and 9000 WUs ? is a line takes the same time to complete ? if yes, that shouldn't take so long to complete

that's great that's ya already started work on the next project, in this case, we won't lose CPU cycles :)

so give us some details when ya'll finish analyzing the results of the survey sieving.

later
junky is offline  
Old 2004-02-25, 13:49   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·72·109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junky
only 25 M lines and 9000 WUs ? is a line takes the same time to complete ? if yes, that shouldn't take so long to complete

that's great that's ya already started work on the next project, in this case, we won't lose CPU cycles :)

so give us some details when ya'll finish analyzing the results of the survey sieving.

later
Still surveying.

Yes, the next project should rather less effort than the current one.

Paul
xilman is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 20:47   #6
frmky
 
frmky's Avatar
 
Jul 2003
So Cal

7×13×23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacky
I'm currently guessing 84 million, but will have a better idea after tonight's filter run finishes.
The stats say we're currently at 86.5 million. Apparently the filter run deemed a few more necessary. Looking forward to the switch soon though since the next target is a nice entry for the database of factors of base-10 repunits that I maintain (and need to update...but anyway).

Greg
frmky is offline  
Old 2004-03-03, 02:52   #7
junky
 
junky's Avatar
 
Jan 2004

7·19 Posts
Default

i saw the whole project is currently at 95.76% completed.
so its good.

keep us in touch about the surveying.
junky is offline  
Old 2004-03-03, 14:44   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·72·109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frmky
The stats say we're currently at 86.5 million. Apparently the filter run deemed a few more necessary. Looking forward to the switch soon though since the next target is a nice entry for the database of factors of base-10 repunits that I maintain (and need to update...but anyway).

Greg
We've switched!

We discovered overnight that we have enough relations to proceed with the next phases of the computation and so switched to the next project, 10_223P, at around noon UT.

I'm snowed under at the moment, so more later...


Paul
xilman is offline  
 

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NFS sieving? Dubslow Factoring 8 2012-09-28 06:47
Line sieving vs. lattice sieving JHansen NFSNET Discussion 9 2010-06-09 19:25
10^420 + 1 sieving juno1369 Factoring 20 2010-04-28 01:11
Sieving OmbooHankvald Prime Sierpinski Project 4 2005-06-30 07:51
Sieving robert44444uk Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 8 2005-04-02 22:30

All times are UTC. The time now is 11:27.

Wed May 12 11:27:39 UTC 2021 up 34 days, 6:08, 0 users, load averages: 1.70, 1.37, 1.40

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.