mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2004-02-12, 13:47   #1
Sideshow Bob

Feb 2004

22 Posts
Unhappy Nvidia driver problem

I'm a Linux newie, running Red Hat 8 on the 2.4.18-14 kernel with an Nvidia Geforce mx2 video card and 32 mg of memory. I did a fresh install, including the kernel development tools. I downloaded NVchooser.sh and ran it to find the latest drivers. The answer was Nvidia kernel 1.0-2960, so I downloaded the appropriate kernel and glx srcs. When I read the manual, it says to use rpmbuild --recompile, and rpm -ivh to install. I do that and I get "buildmeister not found, using root" messages, but appears to complete. I edited xconfig as instructed, but when I run modprobe, I get an "NVdriver not found" error. I tried running the install per Nvidia's instructions with the same result. I tried downloading the tar files and running make install, still no progress. I tried uninstalling the kernel development tools and reinstalling, but no help. What am I missing?

Last fiddled with by Sideshow Bob on 2004-02-12 at 13:48
Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 14:21   #2
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1FD116 Posts

May I suggest Fedora Core 1? It is the newest version of RH, and it is supported very well... In 99% of the cases I've seen, everything works fine right out of the box... You can do a CD install, a DVD install or a net install with 2 floppies...

http://fedora.redhat.com/

If you need any help just let me know!
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 07:09   #3
Pablo the Duck

Dec 2003
Team China

2·33 Posts

My experience is the same as Xyzzy. I've never bothered to use anything other than default drivers for any graphics card and I've never had a problem. (Don't think I've ever used a Geforce though.) I would have expected Redhat 8 to have autodetected the card.

I'm not a great fan of Redhat these days. (I ditched Fedora after about 2 days.) My tip for distro with great autodetection is Libranet 2.8. I've installed it on desktops, laptops and Shuttle XPCs without any problems at all - even when using onboard sound and graphics.
Pablo the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 13:36   #4
Sideshow Bob

Feb 2004

1002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
May I suggest Fedora Core 1? It is the newest version of RH, and it is supported very well... In 99% of the cases I've seen, everything works fine right out of the box... You can do a CD install, a DVD install or a net install with 2 floppies...

http://fedora.redhat.com/

If you need any help just let me know!

I appreciate the suggestion, but I can't keep upgrading everytime I have an issue. The default drivers work okay, I need to upgrade to get something else working.
Old 2004-02-13, 13:39   #5
Sideshow Bob

Feb 2004

22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo the Duck
My experience is the same as Xyzzy. I've never bothered to use anything other than default drivers for any graphics card and I've never had a problem. (Don't think I've ever used a Geforce though.) I would have expected Redhat 8 to have autodetected the card.

I'm not a great fan of Redhat these days. (I ditched Fedora after about 2 days.) My tip for distro with great autodetection is Libranet 2.8. I've installed it on desktops, laptops and Shuttle XPCs without any problems at all - even when using onboard sound and graphics.
I appreciate the response, but I do not want to upgrade. I know there is a solution somewhere, but I do not see it right now. Redhat does autodetect the card, I need to upgrade to get a game working properly. Thanks anyway.