Old 2010-08-26, 05:17   #1
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

1001010011102 Posts
Default a few suggestions for Prime95

I've come up with some ideas that Prime95 could definitely use.

For some of the suggestions, I will be describing dialogue boxes, in which case I will use the following syntax:

Code:
(*) or ( ) - radio buttons
[x] [ ] - checkboxes
[ text ] - buttons
1. More control over workers

Currently, we can only stop (or start) only one worker, or all of them, at once. It would be nice if we could stop/start multiple (but not all) workers without having to use the "Stop worker..." option X times.

The window would look something like this:

Code:
[ ] Stop all workers

[x] Worker #1 [core-0]
[x] Worker #2 [core-1]
[ ] Worker #3 [core-2]
[ ] Worker #4 [core-3]
[ ] Worker #5 [gpu-0]
[ ] Worker #6 [gpu-1]

[ Stop ]
The individual selections would be greyed out unless the top checkbox is unchecked.

Alternatively, we could have an option that allow users to stop and start workers at the same time:

Code:
[ ] Worker #1 [core-0]
[ ] Worker #2 [core-1]
[ ] Worker #3 [core-2]
[ ] Worker #4 [core-3]
[ ] Worker #5 [gpu-0]
[ ] Worker #6 [gpu-1]

[ Select all workers ] [ Deselect all workers ] [ OK ]
2. Millisecond precision

The per-iteration time should be displayed in milliseconds when it falls below 0.01 seconds. After all, you can't have a per-iteration time of zero, although it would be quite nice. :D

3. Pop-up notifications

This would probably be a useless feature, but I think it would be cool to have a pop-up message (like those "X has signed-in" notifications on instant messengers) that notifies users when an assignment is completed.

4. PrimeNet integration

Probably another useless feature, but it would be cool if we could access PrimeNet features (CPU lists, current assignments, recent results, etc.) through Prime95, rather than just a browser.

5. Different assignment types for different workers

We can give a specific assignment to a specific worker by editing the worktodo.txt file. However, we have to do this for every assignment. It would be nice if we could choose what type of work a certain worker should get.

6. Add GPU support

'Nuff said.

A while ago, George said that adding GPU support to Prime95 would be difficult. One alternative is to have Prime95 call a pre-existing library; I don't think it would be too hard to write one based on mfaktc or MacLucasFFTW, etc.

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2010-08-26 at 06:04
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 05:50   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

225578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
1. More control over workers
Not a bad idea for the next major version.

Quote:
2. Millisecond precision
Have you looked at undoc.txt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undoc.txt
You can alter the way the program outputs timings. In prime.txt set:

TimingOutput=n

Where n=1 for seconds with 3 digits of precision, n=2 for milliseconds with 1 digit of precision, n=3 for milliseconds with 2 digits of precision, n=4 for milliseconds with 3 digit of precision. You can turn off the outputting of timestamps to the screen. In prime.txt:

TimeStamp=0

Quote:
3. Pop-up notifications
Not a bad idea. Should be default off. Should also remain popped up for 20 seconds (or 20 seconds after any user action, mouse movement or keyboard input.

Quote:
4. PrimeNet integration
Bad idea. Unstreamlines the program. Opens up way to many vulnerabilities/can of blood sucking leaches.

Quote:
Can't you already do that?????

Quote:
6. Add GPU support
One alternative is to have Prime95 call a pre-existing library; I don't think it would be too hard to write one based on mfaktc or MacLucasFFTW, etc.
That might be the way to do it.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 06:03   #3
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2·3·397 Posts

Quote:
Have you looked at undoc.txt?
A GUI would make things so much easier, though.

By the way, I have a few more suggestions.

7. A "green" mode

Currently, Prime95 allows us to choose whether to let it run when the computer is using battery power. However, a few additional power-saving options (such as crunching at 75% of the normal speed) would be nice for some people.

8. Timestamps

Prime95 does not add a timestamp to the results.txt if the last one was added within five minutes. Users should be able to choose when timestamps are added

Again, this is probably something that users can already change, but a GUI would make things easier:

Code:
( ) Always save timestamps
(*) Do not save timestamp if last result is newer than < 5 > minutes

[ OK ] [ Default ]
Old 2010-08-26, 06:45   #4
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

93410 Posts

Quote:
By the way, I have a few more suggestions.

7. A "green" mode

Currently, Prime95 allows us to choose whether to let it run when the computer is using battery power. However, a few additional power-saving options (such as crunching at 75% of the normal speed) would be nice for some people.
ixfd64,

I like that idea.

Not sure if it works out to the same thing, but I would welcome a feature whereby you could instruct Prime95 to use X percent of your CPU, or maybe "all available cycles to fill a maximum of X percent of capacity." It's a bit concerning to see the CPU dial constantly at full tilt, all the way into the red zone at 100%, no matter how much or how little your computer is doing other than Prime95.

If there is a way to do that, I'll be happy to be corrected, but the drop-down menus don't appear to provide any self-evident way to do it. At least, I haven't found it.

Rodrigo

Last fiddled with by Rodrigo on 2010-08-26 at 06:46
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 13:47   #5
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7·372 Posts

Quote:
A GUI would make things so much easier, though.
You want a GUI for every little thing?

Quote:
7. A "green" mode
It is called "Throttle", search the forum for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
It's a bit concerning to see the CPU dial constantly at full tilt, all the way into the red zone at 100%, no matter how much or how little your computer is doing other than Prime95.
There have been thousands of CPU's running 24/7 at 100% CPU for years. As long as heat dissapation is working right, you are fine.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 16:19   #6
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

94E16 Posts

But there's another thing: electric bills.

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2010-08-26 at 16:20
Old 2010-08-26, 17:31   #7
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

121E16 Posts

Quote:

We can give a specific assignment to a specific worker by editing the worktodo.txt file. However, we have to do this for every assignment. It would be nice if we could choose what type of work a certain worker should get.
Can do. Check out "Test" "Worker windows..." in your client ... or CPUs on the server
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 19:02   #8
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

2×467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
There have been thousands of CPU's running 24/7 at 100% CPU for years. As long as heat dissapation is working right, you are fine.
Uncwilly,

Thanks, that's reassuring.

Rodrigo
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote