mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Old 2021-03-08, 01:28   #12
Drdmitry

Nov 2011

F216 Posts

I tried to look into the paper I found that it looks more like a draft rather than a finalised paper.
Firstly, after the first submission on 1st of March, a revised version was submitted on 3rd of March. These two versions are drastically different.
Secondly, the last version contains too many mistakes (perhaps, not crucial, but it is hard to tell). For example, the matrix \mathbf{R}_{n,f} on page 2 should definitely be different, otherwise all the arguments in Section 3 are false. I guess that the matrix should have terms \mathrm{ln} p_i on the main diagonal and the last row should contain terms N\mathrm{ln}p_{f(i)}. But I am not sure.

After reading the paper, I am skeptical that Schnorr indeed provides a breakthrough factoring algorithm but who knows...
Drdmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-08, 05:15   #13
jwaltos

Apr 2012
Brady

2·33·7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThiloHarich View Post
Somebody tried to implement it
https://github.com/lducas/SchnorrGate
Thanks for posting this. I'm aware of one of the people named in the acknowledgements, Curtis Bright (who studied under J. Shallit). As I recall, Bright found an interesting partial solution in one of Shallit's open problems within a particular course. The links provided within the github site are also spot on..even Sage has its uses.

The one thing that bugs me about this whole thing are statements like .. "But who knows?".." but who knows.... ." Bullshit! Papers aren't supposed to be presented in the form of "abstracted" or obfuscated code where you need to puzzle your way through a labyrinth of jargon (however well anyone is versed within that "code"). If something isn't "Euler" clear [literally and/or figuratively] within number theoretic expositions then something's wrong. I'd like to interpose a comic sketch by Gary Larson Sidney Harris here but the attachment link isn't visible. Perhaps if the name Schnorr wasn't associated with this paper and the author listed himself as "Student-T, anonymous ..etc..) that these papers would have received an appropriate critique/review rather than the kowtowing displayed.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-03-08 at 12:52 Reason: Correct attribution
jwaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-08, 05:43   #14
jwaltos

Apr 2012
Brady

2·33·7 Posts

Here's the sketch I was thinking of:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	miracle.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	18.6 KB