mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2022-01-07, 18:37   #1838
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

578310 Posts

I remembered seeing part of a movie starring Sidney Poitier on late-night TV, many many years ago. It wasn't one of his better-known movies. I recalled his being a psychiatrist in a prison, and his character's status seeming rather contrived for the time it was set in. This being the Information Age, I decided to try to track it down...

Success! It was the 1962 movie Pressure Point, based (I'm not sure to what extent) on the book The Fifty-Minute Hour by Robert Mitchell Lindner.

Poitier's character was "The Doctor," name not given. He was a psychiatrist in a prison. At the beginning, a younger psychiatrist (played by Peter Falk) comes to his boss, Poitier (!) asking to be released from the case of a Negro (as then called) who hates whites. The Doctor responded by recalling a case he had had in 1942, treating a racist Nazi sympathizer ("The Patient," no name given). The role of The Patient was played by Bobby Darin, who is probably best known as a singer. And he got to use a favorite acting technique known as "chewing up the scenery" when The Patient told the Doctor
Quote:
What can you do?

Can you walk on a bus or a streetcar or a train with a little dignity, like a free human being, like a free man? You wanna go see a movie, can you walk into just any theater? Some flapjacks cookin' in a window - can you say, "Hey, I'll have some of those flapjacks?"

You're a Negro with some brains, you could use a little education. Can you go to the school where you get it best? Maybe you see a house you like and you've even got the money to buy it. Can you live there? Huh? You live in the ghetto. North South, East, or West, you live where they let you live. In Harlem, USA!

Now maybe you're good at some job. Can you work where you can make something out of it? Can you do any of those things, doctor? And how about your kids? Are your kids gonna do any of those things?

They got you so hypnotized you're singing "My Country 'Tis of Thee" while they walk all over you!
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-07, 19:53   #1839
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

1,097 Posts

Talk about coincidences. A made-for-TV movie To Sir with Love II was made on 1996 and Poitier reprised his role of Mr Thackeray from his 1967 movie To Sir with Love.

The 1996 movie was the first made for TV movie directed by recently departed Director Peter Bogdanovich.

Bogdanovich dies January 6th 2022 https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpost.php?p=597327&postcount=1835
.........Poitier dies January 6th 2022 https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpost.php?p=597376&postcount=1836

(I am afraid i'm beginning to sound like enzocreti). Go Away!

Last fiddled with by rudy235 on 2022-01-07 at 20:40 Reason: Took out an extra comma
rudy235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-08, 03:26   #1840
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

2·19·59 Posts

Very charming soul. May he rest in peace.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-10, 14:12   #1841
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

169716 Posts

Bob Saget
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Bob Saget, the actor-comedian known for his role as beloved single dad Danny Tanner on the sitcom "Full House" and as the wisecracking host of "America's Funniest Home Videos," died while on a stand-up tour. He was 65.

Deputies in Orange County, Florida, were called Sunday about an "unresponsive man" in a hotel room at the Ritz-Carlton in Orlando and found Saget dead, according to a sheriff's statement on Twitter. Detectives found "no signs of foul play or drug use in this case."
Old 2022-01-10, 17:03   #1842
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhรคuser Gate

30E16 Posts

Dwayne Hickman

He was a TV star; his most famous role was the lead on the sitcom "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis".
His co-star on the show was Bob Denver who portrayed the very hip beatnik Maynard G. Krebs.
Tuesday Weld was also on the show for a time.

On a personal note, my older brothers watched the show because they thought Maynard was "cool".
My parents loathed the show for the same reason!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Hickman
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 22:16   #1843
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

169716 Posts

Charles McGee
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - Charles McGee, a Tuskegee Airman who flew 409 fighter combat missions over three wars and later helped to bring attention to the Black pilots who had battled racism at home to fight for freedom abroad, died Sunday. He was 102.

McGee died in his sleep at his home in Bethesda, Maryland, said his son, Ron McGee.
<snip>
McGee graduated from flight school in June 1943 and in early 1944 joined the all-Black 332nd Fighter Group, known as the "Red Tails." He flew 136 missions as the group accompanied bombers over Europe.
<snip>
McGee remained in the Army Air Corps, later the U.S. Air Force, and served for 30 years. He flew low-level bombing and strafing missions during the Korean War and returned to combat again during the Vietnam War. The National Aviation Hall of Fame says his 409 aerial fighter combat missions in three wars remains a record.
Old 2022-01-21, 08:45   #1844
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

33×419 Posts

Singer Meat Loaf dies aged 74
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-21, 09:44   #1845
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

2·5·983 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
"Members of Project Mayhem have no name, but in death, they have a name. His name was Robert Paulson."
Fight Club wouldn't have been the same without him. And neither would be Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-21, 10:24   #1846
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

33·419 Posts
Unhappy

Nothing ever grows in this rotting old hole.
And everything is stunted and lost.
And nothing really rocks
And nothing really rolls
And nothing's ever worth the cost.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2022-01-21 at 10:27
Old 2022-01-21, 10:26   #1847
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

33·419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
"Members of Project Mayhem have no name, but in death, they have a name. His name was Robert Paulson."
Fight Club wouldn't have been the same without him. And neither would be Rocky Horror Picture Show.
What a guy! Makes you cry. Und I did...
Old 2022-01-21, 17:08   #1848
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhรคuser Gate

30E16 Posts

Hardy Kruger, German born actor.

His most famous role was that of the aeronautical engineer who designed the cobbled together airplane in the original "The Flight of the Phoenix"

He was also in the epic movie "A Bridge Too Far"
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote