Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Programming

Old 2015-06-29, 09:10   #1
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

18B316 Posts
Default Running a Windows machine at the end of a wire

I'm starting to think it would be easier to install Windows on one of my machines than to wait for Intel and AMD to release good Linux OpenCL drivers for Broadwell and Rage Fury. Realistically it'll be Windows 10 by the time I get round to it.

I haven't used Windows for a decade, and I've never tried using Windows on a remote machine; how easy is it to set up a Windows machine to run headless? In an ideal world I'd want to SSH in; I don't remember command-line equivalents to 'top' and 'uptime' when I last used Windows - there's the graphical task manager which I suppose I could use via VNC - but it was long ago.
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-29, 18:18   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

3×43×79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
I'm starting to think it would be easier to install Windows on one of my machines than to wait for Intel and AMD to release good Linux OpenCL drivers for Broadwell and Rage Fury. Realistically it'll be Windows 10 by the time I get round to it.

I haven't used Windows for a decade, and I've never tried using Windows on a remote machine; how easy is it to set up a Windows machine to run headless? In an ideal world I'd want to SSH in; I don't remember command-line equivalents to 'top' and 'uptime' when I last used Windows - there's the graphical task manager which I suppose I could use via VNC - but it was long ago.
ssh servers have existed on Windows for many years. I used ssh to connect to a Win2K box IIRC.

VNC servers also exist for Windoze but you might also wish to consider RDP clients on Linux et al.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 18:02   #3
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×37×43 Posts

Tom,

Not sure if this helps but I use Chrome Remote Desktop and Team Viewer. Can't remember the third one I use as well.

Carlos
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote