Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2008-10-31, 21:37   #1
John S

Apr 2007

7 Posts
Default Don't understand instructions for upgrading to v25

OK, I just read the instructions on this page:

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm#upgradeusers

I'm afraid I can't make head nor tail of it. I'm not a complete luddite but neither am I an IT expert. For example, I cannot make sense of this sentence at all:

"Save file and prime.spl formats are different so there is no going back."

Should that be "Check file and ..." ?

And what are the file and prime.spl formats, in any case? And what does this mean?

"First allow the program to sync with PrimeNet to unspool and delete the prime.spl file of unsent results."

I presume it is my existing version as it later tells me to download and install the new one.

I'm a bear of very little brain so please forgive me if I'm the only person who can't understand the instructions.

Last fiddled with by John S on 2008-10-31 at 21:39
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 21:57   #2
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

4,457 Posts

Allow me to take a stab at this and others can correct or supplement what I say:

This is all I did in Windows XP and it worked well for me:
1. Create a v5 account and link it to your v4 account.
2. In your Prime95 v24 window click: Test then Stop. Once it responds with the messages that it is stopped and the icon turns yellow click Test then Exit.
3. Make a backup copy of your entire Prime95 folder.
4. Download the appropriate version of Prime95 V25.7. I downloaded it right into my Prime95 folder (not the backup folder I just made.)
5. Extract (it is NOT an install program, just zipped files) it into that same Prime95 folder. It will ask your permission to replace 4 files: Prime95.exe and three .txt fixed. Allow it to.
6. Start Prime95.exe. It was ask you if you want to join or just testing. Choose join. It will also ask you for a userid. Enter the one you created for v5.

As to some of your questions:
Quote:
"Save file and prime.spl formats are different so there is no going back." Should that be "Check file and ..." ?
The important part are the 5 words ... there is no going back.

Quote:
And what are the file and prime.spl formats, in any case? And what does this mean? "First allow the program to sync with PrimeNet to unspool and delete the prime.spl file of unsent results."
prime.spl is a file created to send assignment completion results to the server. Normally it is created, sent and deleted before you even see it. In the case you can't get to the server it will hold your results in the .spl file until it can be sent. So unless you have unsent completions this point is irrelevant to you.

Quote:
I presume it is my existing version as it later tells me to download and install the new one.
Yes, in the existing version.
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 22:04   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·3·7·211 Posts

Here is a starter.
  1. Go to the Server and set-up an account.
  2. Click on the v4 migration link under "My account"
  3. Open up your existing Prime95 program window.
  4. From the menu select "Advanced", then "Manual Communication".
  5. In the pop-up window, ensure that contact primenet now check box is checked, ensure that if you are on dial-up that you are on-line, and click ok.
  6. Wait until Prime95 is done communicating with the server.
  7. Stop and exit Prime95.
  8. Petrw1's step 3
  9. Download Prime95 v25.7.
  10. Follow the basic install steps. (copy the program)
  11. Start the new version and follow the prompts
As noted in Petwr1's near simultaneous post, many users never see the prime.spl file. Dial-up and folks that have manual com set may see it.

If you backed things up and noticed that you did have an .spl, but upgraded anyway, you can e-mail that to George.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2008-10-31 at 22:10 Reason: Viva la interwebs
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 22:56   #4
John S

Apr 2007

1112 Posts

Ah! That's more digestible, thanks :-)

I'll post back if it works (although I'm about to watch something on TV so might not be tonight - I'm in the UK BTW).
Old 2008-11-01, 00:14   #5
John S

Apr 2007

7 Posts

Right, I think I've got it working. And I think (!?) I got my V5 account linked to my V4 account.

Am I right in saying that I needed to reboot to get it running as a service again? I noticed that I needed to start it when I switched accounts (I use a Limited Account for everyday use, and only use Admin when necessary). So I rebooted and it seems to be running without me needing to start it myself. Which is what v24 did (there was a 'run as service' option IIRC - I daresay I needed to reboot when I first installed that, but it was a long time ago now!)

Thanks again for the instructions. Both sets were both useful.
Old 2008-11-01, 18:41   #6
Freightyard

Nov 2008
San Luis Obispo CA

8016 Posts
Exclamation Finishing OLD work First!

FINISH WORK-IN-PROGRESS BEFORE UPGRADING! ???

I discovered that v25 destroys any work-in-progress (see my separate post). PrimeNet v5 refused to recognized exponents assigned by PrimeNet v4 and handed out all new work instead. Hence, v25 overwrote my worktodo.txt file.

I had several exponents just hours from completion!

The work files are still on my disk, so if anyone knows how to edit worktodo.txt -- I'd like to get v24 running again long enough to complete the other work.

Please reply in my separate thread (as soon as it is moderated), but I wanted to make people aware that old work will be destroyed by v25.
Freightyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 19:59   #7
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

4,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightyard View Post
FINISH WORK-IN-PROGRESS BEFORE UPGRADING! ???

I discovered that v25 destroys any work-in-progress (see my separate post). PrimeNet v5 refused to recognized exponents assigned by PrimeNet v4 and handed out all new work instead. Hence, v25 overwrote my worktodo.txt file.

I had several exponents just hours from completion!

The work files are still on my disk, so if anyone knows how to edit worktodo.txt -- I'd like to get v24 running again long enough to complete the other work.

Please reply in my separate thread (as soon as it is moderated), but I wanted to make people aware that old work will be destroyed by v25.
For the record I upgraded 4 PCs; all Intel or AMD; Windows XP; P IV; all in the middle of an exponent (LL and TF) and I did NOT lose any work.
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 01:33   #8
starrynte

Oct 2008
California

22·59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
For the record I upgraded 4 PCs; all Intel or AMD; Windows XP; P IV; all in the middle of an exponent (LL and TF) and I did NOT lose any work.
I upgraded the only one I have, mines, which is Intel, Windows XP, P IV, in the middle of an exponent, no work lost :D
starrynte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 21:17   #9
Freightyard

Nov 2008
San Luis Obispo CA

27 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
I stopped v24 and upgraded. When I started v25, here is what PrimeNet v5 said:

Code:
Sending expected completion date for M43703833: Nov 05 2008
URL: http://v5.mersenne.org/v5server/?v=0.95&px=GIMPS&...
RESPONSE:
pnErrorResult=43
pnErrorDetail=ap: no such assignment key, GUID: 61a983311874afd3d9186ffb67300b9d, key: 000000000000000000000000029ADE19
v25 promptly got new assignments and overwrote worktodo.txt. I didn't lose the p/q work files, but they are now abandoned and no work is being done on them.

I have 99% completion on this exponent--how do I get Prime95 to see it again and finish? Can I manually insert it into worktodo.txt (see this post for details)? Since it was checked out with PrimeNetv4 do I have to finish it using Prime95 v24?

If PrimeNetv5 will recognize it, do I need to know the proper GUID to insert it into worktodo.txt?

Thanks.
Old 2008-11-05, 23:00   #10
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

886210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightyard View Post
I didn't lose the p/q work files, but they are now abandoned and no work is being done on them.

If PrimeNetv5 will recognize it, do I need to know the proper GUID to insert it into worktodo.txt?
You can stop Prime95 and stuff the assignment it the worktodo.txt, or you can put it in a worktodo.add. You should be able to finish it and get credit.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 00:13   #11
Freightyard

Nov 2008
San Luis Obispo CA

12810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
You can stop Prime95 and stuff the assignment it the worktodo.txt, or you can put it in a worktodo.add. You should be able to finish it and get credit.
Do you believe that PrimeNetv5 should recognize it? (it didn't when I upgraded). Or, should I just revert to PrimeNetv4 (Prime95 v24) to finish this assignment?

Also, if v25 should work, do I use "N/A" in place of the GUID in worktodo.txt, or is there a way to determine the correct GUID?

Thx.

Last fiddled with by Freightyard on 2008-11-06 at 00:14