mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > News

Old 2003-11-17, 23:03   #12
nitro

Feb 2003

2·3·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by GP2
My preliminary guess would be in the 20.4M range. But that's after only five minutes' investigation...
All you have to do is find a Mersenne prime then this little email drops into your inbox :surprised and tells you what the new (potential) prime is.....

...it is...sorry you'll have to wait like everyone else
nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 23:15   #13
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

1BDD16 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by nitro
then this little email drops into your inbox :surprised and tells you what the new (potential) prime is
Dang, I didn't get the email. Ernst forwarded it to me so I know it went out. The server must have my old magicnet.net email address. I wonder how many of the other email addresses are no good... Nitro is referring to the notification email the server is supposed to send to Dr. Crandall, Chris Caldwell, Ernst Mayer, and discoverers of past Mersenne primes.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 00:32   #14
pakaran

Aug 2002

3·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime95
GP2, go for it, just don't let everyone else know. I'd like to know if our current methods keep new primes anonymous.
We have yet to keep a prime anonymous until discovery.

I'm going to throw something together in perl later this week to look for numbers not showing up in the DB, if you don't object, George?
pakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 00:33   #15
pakaran

Aug 2002

3×83 Posts

Quote:
Dang, I didn't get the email. Ernst forwarded it to me so I know it went out. The server must have my old magicnet.net email address. I wonder how many of the other email addresses are no good... Nitro is referring to the notification email the server is supposed to send to Dr. Crandall, Chris Caldwell, Ernst Mayer, and discoverers of past Mersenne primes.
Can't it just be sent to your MIT address? I thought that address was a permanent forward.
pakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 01:19   #16
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2·33·13 Posts

This is awesome news! Since we don't know the exponent, I wonder if it is a 33M? If so we can afford to buy a few more Opterons/Athlon 64s/etc, etc...
PrimeCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 01:32   #17
E_tron

Sep 2002
Austin, TX

3×11×17 Posts
Default Re: M40 Again!!!!

Numbers shine yet again !

Congratulations to the Finder!
Congratulations to every participant!
Congratulations to all the participating computers! (...that get almost no credit)

Congratulations to GIMPS as a whole!

http://mersenne.org/history.htm
...soon we will be able to add 1 one trophy.
E_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 02:25   #18
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

7·1,019 Posts

I just posted to the Mersenne mailing list ---

In the wake of the false prime report a few months ago, we added a few failsafes to quickly detect a false report. Fortunately, this user was using the new version of prime95. He emailed me the save file with 2000 iterations remaining. I reran those final iterations and my computer also reports this number prime - in my mind eliminating any chance of a hardware error.

Unfortunately, we still must go through the official different machine, different program verification which will probably end in early December. So please be patient awaiting the disclosure of the number. Waiting for verification saved us from a huge embarrassment last time!

Oh yes, hints. I've always given hints. The prime number is more than five million digits and less than ten million digits.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 02:34   #19
clowns789

Jun 2003
The Computer

2×191 Posts

You probably know they give $100,000 for 10 million digit primes. It that any prime or Mersenne? We know regular primes from trial factoring, don't we?
clowns789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 02:58   #20
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

230710 Posts

Quote:
I just posted to the Mersenne mailing list ---

In the wake of the false prime report a few months ago, we added a few failsafes to quickly detect a false report. Fortunately, this user was using the new version of prime95. He emailed me the save file with 2000 iterations remaining. I reran those final iterations and my computer also reports this number prime - in my mind eliminating any chance of a hardware error.

Unfortunately, we still must go through the official different machine, different program verification which will probably end in early December. So please be patient awaiting the disclosure of the number. Waiting for verification saved us from a huge embarrassment last time!

Oh yes, hints. I've always given hints. The prime number is more than five million digits and less than ten million digits.
Maybe every so often you could keep us updated with the progress? :)
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 03:08   #21
Complex33

Aug 2002
Texas

15510 Posts

Quote:
You probably know they give $100,000 for 10 million digit primes. It that any prime or Mersenne? We know regular primes from trial factoring, don't we?
clowns789:

The EFF prize for a 10 million digit prime is for a prime of any type that exceeds the 10 million digit mark. As for trial factoring it is a process that only proves numbers to not be prime. Trial factoring gives a negative result in the form of a factor of the number being tested and therefore is never prime. This leads to the beauty of the LL test in that it is deterministic.
Complex33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 03:11   #22
GP2

Sep 2003

29×89 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by ixfd64
Maybe every so often you could keep us updated with the progress? :)
There's really no need.

It's extremely difficult to work backwards to fake a save file that would produce a prime result after 2000 extra iterations. We can be sure it's a prime. The only progress report needed is the time the verification completed.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote