mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2008-02-12, 03:10   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts
Default Looking for no download mmorpg

I'm wondering if anybody knows of a central source for browser-based mmporpg that don't require a a download? The reason I say no download is that I'm on Linux, so the download would probably require Wine, which I'm not prepared to fight with.

I've never really been much of a gamer, but I haven't had the amount of cash I have right now since the government retroactively paid me my first government check(I was about 20, and stupid, so I spent it on stupid stuff like comic books).

I'm not sure if this is worth my money, so I want to dip my toe in before deciding it's worthwhile to do things like dual-booting, or buying a graphics card.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 04:29   #2
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I'm wondering if anybody knows of a central source for browser-based mmporpg that don't require a a download? The reason I say no download is that I'm on Linux, so the download would probably require Wine, which I'm not prepared to fight with.

I've never really been much of a gamer, but I haven't had the amount of cash I have right now since the government retroactively paid me my first government check(I was about 20, and stupid, so I spent it on stupid stuff like comic books).

I'm not sure if this is worth my money, so I want to dip my toe in before deciding it's worthwhile to do things like dual-booting, or buying a graphics card.
You could always use a virtual machine, assuming that your physical machine is relatively modern. On my Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz w/2GB RAM, running Windows 2000 in a virtual machine under Ubuntu 7.10 works great--it's fast enough that there's practically no way to tell it's in a virtual machine, especially if you put it in full-screen mode. I use InnoTek VirtualBox for virtualization software--Qemu's nice, too, except that it doesn't always work the best with Windows. (It seems to be best with Linux/Unix as a guest operating system, and even there it's work in progress.) You can find VirtualBox in the package manager--even if you're not using Ubuntu, it will quite likely be in your distribution's package manager, too.

And if you can't get it from a package manager, you can go straight to the source and get it at http://www.virtualbox.org.

Hope this helps!
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 04:44   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
You could always use a virtual machine, assuming that your physical machine is relatively modern. On my Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz w/2GB RAM, running Windows 2000 in a virtual machine under Ubuntu 7.10 works great--it's fast enough that there's practically no way to tell it's in a virtual machine, especially if you put it in full-screen mode. I use InnoTek VirtualBox for virtualization software--Qemu's nice, too, except that it doesn't always work the best with Windows. (It seems to be best with Linux/Unix as a guest operating system, and even there it's work in progress.) You can find VirtualBox in the package manager--even if you're not using Ubuntu, it will quite likely be in your distribution's package manager, too.

And if you can't get it from a package manager, you can go straight to the source and get it at http://www.virtualbox.org.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, I'll look into that. :)
Old 2008-02-12, 05:36   #4
markr

"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

13·43 Posts

Some of the links at the end of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMORPG might help, there's a couple of lists (List of MMORPGs, List of free MMOGs), and one called Comparison of MMORPGs. There is a handful which support linux or are browser/java based.

Last fiddled with by markr on 2008-02-12 at 05:37
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 06:40   #5
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

350510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr View Post
Some of the links at the end of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMORPG might help, there's a couple of lists (List of MMORPGs, List of free MMOGs), and one called Comparison of MMORPGs. There is a handful which support linux or are browser/java based.
Yeah, I'll come back to this thread after I've experimented a bit with VirtualBox. :) At the moment I'm trying to decide if it would be better(faster) to find an iso making program to use on my 64-bit XP cd, or download the iso from a torrent.

Btw, I DO own a legal copy of the 64-bit XP OS, and I DO have a code that isn't being used anywhere else. Just posting that to cut down on the chance that a mod will censor this thread. :)

I was planning on downloading the torrent, but downloading means uploading, so I can get in trouble even though I own a legal copy. Plus, there's the chance of viruses.

Edit: Making an iso in LInux is super-easy, you just need to find a tutorial. :)
Going to have to think about this.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2008-02-12 at 06:51 Reason: added edit
Old 2008-02-12, 17:44   #6
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Yeah, I'll come back to this thread after I've experimented a bit with VirtualBox. :) At the moment I'm trying to decide if it would be better(faster) to find an iso making program to use on my 64-bit XP cd, or download the iso from a torrent.

Btw, I DO own a legal copy of the 64-bit XP OS, and I DO have a code that isn't being used anywhere else. Just posting that to cut down on the chance that a mod will censor this thread. :)

I was planning on downloading the torrent, but downloading means uploading, so I can get in trouble even though I own a legal copy. Plus, there's the chance of viruses.

Edit: Making an iso in LInux is super-easy, you just need to find a tutorial. :)
Going to have to think about this.
Um...I would recommend against getting the torrent. You never know what you might get--it might come pre-loaded with a virus or Trojan, not to mention that it might have a pre-cracked license key, which wouldn't even give you a chance to put in your legit one.

Not to mention that it's definitely going to be MUCH faster just to make the ISO anyway.

Also, you can install into the virtual machine directly from the CD--in fact, VirtualBox is set up by default to have the virtual CD drive point to /dev/cdrom (or wherever your distribution puts the CD-ROM drive). That's the way to go if you don't already have it on an ISO file.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 02:39   #7
potonono

Jun 2005
USA, IL

193 Posts

http://www.isobuster.com/

Most things you'll likely need to do can be done with the non-pro version.
potonono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 00:24   #8
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2,311 Posts

I used to play RuneScape a lot. It is a Java-based game, so it works on most platforms. However, I wouldn't recommend playing that game anymore, due the the crap that Jagex (the company that developed RuneScape) has put into the game.

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2008-02-15 at 00:25
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 15:07   #9
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

5·31·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
I used to play RuneScape a lot. It is a Java-based game, so it works on most platforms. However, I wouldn't recommend playing that game anymore, due the the crap that Jagex (the company that developed RuneScape) has put into the game.
i u r willing to pay u can play the older runescape 1 which will be less jegexified
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 21:18   #10
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2,311 Posts

RuneScape Classic? Unfortunately, very few people play that now, so it's not fun anymore. :( Also, you have to be a paying member and have accessed the game between August 3, 2005 and January 12, 2006 in order to be able to play it.
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 16:30   #11
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

10110011001112 Posts

o i didnt know that
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote