ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25×149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
I like the new table format on the downloads page. One tiny suggestion: move the Type column to just after the Version column, since it is likely the first thing a reader would want to know about the program. I recommend leaving the one paragraph descriptions of each program on the downloads page below the table. The paragraphs have useful additional information that does not fit well in the table.

In the row for pmfs, the download link should be in the Linux column instead of the Windows column. Also pmfs does not perform a primality test. The best type description would be "Sieve + trial division".

On range reservation, I agree with the proposed granularity of ranges: 10 n's starting at a multiple of 10 for 100 <= n < 1000, etc. But I do think researchers should be allowed to reserve multiple ranges at a time. N = 200-249 is just 5 groups of 10, so should be "legal" to reserve, and the user interface should allow it to be done easily (assuming the user interface is something besides "email Luigi" )
Agreed. Making room for changes, thank you for you kind help.

And yes, actually the reservation interface is based on "email Luigi"... I was too scared by automatic engines, but you gave me an idea...

Luigi
ET_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-05, 11:18   #24
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25×149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by houding View Post
If I can add my 10 cents worth of input as well.

On the downloads page it mentions MFAC, but there is no download, and as it is much slower, it is not used anymore.

Is it mentioned for historical purposes, or can the mention of it be removed.

Adolf
Hi Adolf.

MFAC was mentioned for historical purposes. When I heard Tony Forbes about it, he answered he didn't consider it useful anymore, specially after mmff and gmp-Fermat were delivered. It won't be in the new download page.
I am inclined to avoid Primo links as well.

Luigi

Last fiddled with by ET_ on 2016-12-05 at 11:19
Old 2016-12-05, 13:49   #25
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Well, for lower Ns some fields are redefined: in fact such odd ranges were done using ECM, where "From N" --> "N" and "to N" --> "curves" I told you I am somewhat lazy... but for such low Ns ECM is usually preferred over factoring, so that's not a big problem...
If I understand correctly, most, if not all n < 28 should only be searched with ECM as ECM factoring is well beyond factoring methods used for higher n.

In case some of you aren't following, I posted some information about my earlier idea in this thread.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-05, 14:11   #26
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
If I understand correctly, most, if not all n < 28 should only be searched with ECM as ECM factoring is well beyond factoring methods used for higher n.
Correct.
Old 2017-08-24, 14:49   #27
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

595310 Posts

I just discovered that Ken Brazier has a program called nsieve64. This can work like fermfact, but is 64-bit. As it is source, it can be compiled on other platforms. It seems to be close in speed to fermfact.

I'll take a look and see if it can be multi-threaded. It could also benefit by accepting parameters the way other sieving programs do.

It does seem to have other issues as it doesn't correctly parse inputs > 32 bits, but that should be easy to address.
Old 2017-08-25, 05:29   #28
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I just discovered that Ken Brazier has a program called nsieve64. This can work like fermfact, but is 64-bit. As it is source, it can be compiled on other platforms. It seems to be close in speed to fermfact.

I'll take a look and see if it can be multi-threaded. It could also benefit by accepting parameters the way other sieving programs do.

It does seem to have other issues as it doesn't correctly parse inputs > 32 bits, but that should be easy to address.
Thank you Mark, I've seen your comments on the other thread. Please feel free to add your final comments here as soon as you reach Ken and overcome the small bug you found.
Old 2017-08-25, 13:23   #29
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

595310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Thank you Mark, I've seen your comments on the other thread. Please feel free to add your final comments here as soon as you reach Ken and overcome the small bug you found.
The current bug is major. The output is wrong. I'm hoping it is easy to fix. I don't know if Ken (Ken_G6) is still on this forum. I've sent him a PM hoping that he gets it.
Old 2018-03-15, 19:06   #30
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,953 Posts

In case you have read this thread, but haven't followed others, I have written gfndsieve to replace fermfact. It is significantly faster than fermfact. gfndsieve is part of mtsieve, which you can read about in this thread.