mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2013-04-21, 20:37   #1
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

216810 Posts
Unhappy Unhappy Me: The "dead GPU" edition

My only real GPU seems to have died in the night... damn.

I guess I'll have to try RMA, however there is one probable blocker: I didn't/forgot to register it...fu...

Last fiddled with by kracker on 2013-04-21 at 20:40
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 20:43   #2
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

2×33×132 Posts

Summer is coming. And there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Some companies do not care about registering (they count the RMA period from the manufacture date, though, so it is a mixed blessing). Take Gigabyte.
"Take my wife... Take her -- please!"

Last fiddled with by Batalov on 2013-04-21 at 21:06 Reason: (meant Gigabyte. Exactly.)
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 21:03   #3
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·33·5·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
My only real GPU seems to have died in the night... damn.

I guess I'll have to try RMA, however there is one probable blocker: I didn't/forgot to register it...fu...
Gigabyte goes strictly by the serial number. I don't know what brand yours is, or what other companies do.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 21:19   #4
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

1000011110002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Gigabyte goes strictly by the serial number. I don't know what brand yours is, or what other companies do.
It's XFX. doing a little google search on their "policies" it seems they definitely do not like rma'ing it if you did not register...

EDIT: Can't create a ticket without a registered GPU... damn.

Last fiddled with by kracker on 2013-04-21 at 21:19
Old 2013-04-21, 21:44   #5
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

67758 Posts

Quote:
It's XFX. doing a little google search on their "policies" it seems they definitely do not like rma'ing it if you did not register...

Can you register it now? Do you have the registration card sitting around? Sometimes it lingers in the box if you kept that.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 21:57   #6
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

23·271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
Can you register it now? Do you have the registration card sitting around? Sometimes it lingers in the box if you kept that.
It only allows you to register in 30 days...
Old 2013-04-22, 03:35   #7
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
I get this mental picture of the registration card moving into the box like it's a college dorm. "Hmmmm, I'm not taking classes anymore, but I think I'll stick around until they actually decide to come and kick me out." I guess the spam would be the slutty girls and the business emails would be the more respectable girls.

Yes, I really do have too much time on my hands.

(What would the bacon be?)
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 04:53   #8
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·33·5·37 Posts
Angry Ticks me off to hear about this!

Quote:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but do you have a [expletive deleted] receipt? Was this an online purchase so you have electronic confirmation?

It really chaps my ass big time to hear about something denied which should be covered.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 20:34   #9
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

23·271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but do you have a [expletive deleted] receipt? Was this an online purchase so you have electronic confirmation?

It really chaps my ass big time to hear about something denied which should be covered.
It came with a receipt, but you know, it is those things that get thrown out or get lost after a few months.... however it was online so I can probably track it down and get it, but I'm still very doubtful that I can get a rma, since reading more "reviews" on their service it seems all that counts for that company is that goddamn registration... Which I always forget. Maybe it's just my lesson...
Old 2013-04-22, 20:54   #10
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

5×23×67 Posts

EVGA has a cool deal where they let you upload your receipt so you never have to worry about it again.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 21:05   #11
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

23×271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
EVGA has a cool deal where they let you upload your receipt so you never have to worry about it again.
If you buy it at newegg tigerdirect etc, I believe you can reprint your receipt from past orders.