xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

235768 Posts
Unhappy The Unhappy Me thread

I've had an interesting last 36 hours.

Around 08:30 yesterday a workman chopped through a 12kV power line, taking out much of Cambridge University.

Our systems are UPS protected but they are rather difficult to shut down automatically. There was a guy in the office, but he never thought to shut them down manually and all the batteries were flat by the time I arrived.

I came in this morning to bring everything up again, only to be told that the main departmental switch had fried and we had no external net connections at all. Our systems came up with some coaxing and minor disk repairs. The computer service replaced our switch by lunchtime. We then had to wait a few hours for all the backlogged spam to be delivered before network traffic returned to normal.

Yesterday was when the monthly dump of 150G or so of data gets written to tape. It had to be postponed to today. 2/3 or so of the way through (or several hours after starting) my machine from where the backup was running threw a wobbly and had to be rebooted, thereby killing the backup. That has to be redone tomorrow.

To cap it all on the way home tonight and about 40 minutes ago, I was sitting on my bike, stationary, at the motorway junction amd waiting for on-coming traffic to clear, when a guy in a car came smashing into the back of me. No damage done to me but one of the bike's panniers is in several pieces. That will be an expensive insurance claim for him because custom fibre-glass luggage for Honda 1100cc Pan-Europeans does not come cheap.

Oh well.

Paul

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2020-08-18 at 07:52
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 19:24   #2
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Repรบblica de California

9,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
To cap it all on the way home tonight and about 40 minutes ago, I was sitting on my bike, stationary, at the motorway junction amd waiting for on-coming traffic to clear, when a guy in a car came smashing into the back of me. No damage done to me but one of the bike's panniers is in several pieces. That will be an expensive insurance claim for him because custom fibre-glass luggage for Honda 1100cc Pan-Europeans does not come cheap.
Neither do vague-but-agonizing symptoms of whiplash which a good slip-and-fall lawyer has had documented by a friendly open-minded physician - the fact that he and said MD are longtime golfing buddies being, of course, entirely coincidental.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 20:04   #3
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

343710 Posts

I hope you are okay, Paul. Is that the usual bout of three pieces of bad luck?
paulunderwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 20:28   #4
Mystwalker

Jul 2004
Potsdam, Germany

3×277 Posts

Last Friday, I had a hard time travelling home to my family. All trains in this region were still unusable due to storm Kyrill, so I had to rent a car and use a taxi afterwards for the remaining ~30km.
In the evening, I finally arrived at the train station were I've parked the car (the one of my girlfriend, to be specific). I was happy that I only had to drive one more hour... well, at least if the car still had its front wheels. And I doubt that the storm blew them away.
My father-in-law to-be had to bring two summer tyres, and we had to buy new* wheel bolts to replace the stolen ones.
We were home just a bit before midnight...

*The repair shop removed fitting ones from a car wreck.
Mystwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 21:04   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

1011010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
I hope you are okay, Paul. Is that the usual bout of three pieces of bad luck?
I'm fine. I was stationary with my feet on the road when the collision happened. I was still stationary with my feet on the road immediately afterwards. Apart from the pannier, there is no obvious damage anywhere else to the bike though it will be easier to tell in daylight.

It's the hassle which ensues that I find most objectionable. Having to ride over to the bike shop, get estimates for the repair bill, inform my insurance company and so forth.

Luckily the other guy admitted he was at fault ("my wheels just locked") and I have full contact details, etc.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 04:35   #6
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

7,699 Posts

Well, if you had thought beforehand and analyzed today's date in relation to the unseasonably warm winter we are having, and cross referenced these facts to various obscure prophecies in the kabbalah, you would have known today was scheduled to be a challenging one.

One obvious clue is the date: 25 Jan 07

Or, 20070125, which factors to 5x5x5x307x523, which, if added, are
ยฃ845, which is the cost of new panniers for your moped.

Next time, do your homework.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 19:22   #7
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

Define Irony....
moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-29, 14:23   #8
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

8,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
Define Irony....
From 'From the Earth to the Moon': "I'm not a big fan of irony".
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-14, 16:17   #9
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31·67 Posts

The simplist device on my Athlon PC (the ON button!) just failed.
It repeatedly started the PC until the motherboard failed. While I was trying to find the fault I replaced the CPU heatsink and fan. It didn't sit properly and my CPU fried!
If anyone wants to send me some money I will give you my details.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-16, 10:41   #10
vaio

Sep 2006
England

22·5 Posts

Is that a k7 rig?

Let me know if an Abit NF7-s and mobile Athlon would be of interest.
Good for 2.5 ghz
vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 00:33   #11
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
From 'From the Earth to the Moon': "I'm not a big fan of irony".
hmm i think i have read that book do you have an author.
moo is offline   Reply With Quote