mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-09-09, 16:40   #12
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

97·103 Posts

Thanks for the details. It still doesn't really justify tarring "The Left" as a whole for some individuals' words.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-10, 01:03   #13
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×1,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Thanks for the details. It still doesn't really justify tarring "The Left" as a whole for some individuals' words.
Yeah, well, this gal presents herself as a "Black Lives Matter Chicago organizer," so a lot of folks might reasonably believe she's representative of BLM.

I believe I first heard about her from a recording of her WBEZ interview. When I heard what she was saying, I thought "Say what? Do you have any idea how bad this makes BLM look???"

I then wondered if she might be one of those agents provocateurs I referred to a few posts back. Other than her presenting herself as a "Black Lives Matter Chicago organizer," and her appearance from a photograph, I really don't know anything about her.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-10, 05:20   #14
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

97×103 Posts

It might be possible to scare up credentials. It would be nice to know if her assertion of prominence in BLM are supported by others.
I confess, I am too tired to go on a search engine expedition ATM.
However, in the morning I will look up the WBEZ material.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-09-10 at 05:22
Old 2020-09-13, 13:51   #15
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·1,787 Posts

2 California deputies shot in apparent ambush in patrol car
Quote:
"To the protesters blocking the entrance & exit of the HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM yelling "We hope they die" referring to 2 LA Sheriff's ambushed today in #Compton: DO NOT BLOCK EMERGENCY ENTRIES & EXITS TO THE HOSPITAL," the sheriff's department tweeted. "People's lives are at stake when ambulances can't get through.
If these "protesters" want the current occupant of the White House re-elected, they could hardly adopt a better course of action.
Old 2020-09-14, 01:23   #16
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

10000011102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
If these "protesters" want the current occupant of the White House re-elected, they could hardly adopt a better course of action.
I agree with your sentiment, but not your conclusion. I submit that 99.9% of everyone who is going to vote in this election has already made up their mind, and feel so strongly about their choice that nothing, nothing at all could change their vote.

Last fiddled with by PhilF on 2020-09-14 at 01:23
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-14, 12:51   #17
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·1,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
I agree with your sentiment, but not your conclusion. I submit that 99.9% of everyone who is going to vote in this election has already made up their mind, and feel so strongly about their choice that nothing, nothing at all could change their vote.
Yes, it's almost certainly true that just about all the folks who worship are in thrall to support the incumbent are immune to argumentation. And I doubt many people who can't stand the incumbent could be persuaded to vote for him.

There is another consideration, though. That is the decision of whether to vote. There is a good argument that one major reason Hillary Clinton lost the 2016 election was, a lot of people who had voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012, sat on their hands in 2016.

Polls over the last few months have indicated that the edge in expressed support for the challenger has largely evaporated. People who initially expressed support of BLM are tired of the protests, and more particularly of the rioting and looting that has come to be associated with it. It is possible that they might include a lot of would-be voters who won't.
Old 2020-09-14, 16:37   #18
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

270716 Posts

Turnout is everything now.
Old 2020-09-15, 01:44   #19
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

11110000110012 Posts

Too bad our vote doesn't matter.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-15, 03:04   #20
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

97×103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Too bad our vote doesn't matter.

A dedicated progressive mass turnout can win. Your vote does count. It counts even if you do not vote. I effing HATE the Dems, and don't expect anything good from Biden, but I expect immense harm if the Orange Monster gets another term.
I know you live in a conservative state, but please, please, Please, PLEASE, PLEASE still vote!
Old 2020-09-15, 12:36   #21
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

11·541 Posts

My brother-in-law refuses to watch the NFL this year. I don't know if he is more upset about people not standing for the anthem (he has family members who served in the military) or if he is upset that football players are using this as an opportunity to speak out about police brutality and systemic racism. If it is the latter, then he has exposed himself as a racist and my sister is standing up for him. In the future people who are against BLM will be viewed as being "on the wrong side of history". I don't know how many years it will take before we collectively see that. Hopefully it won't require another 50, 150, or 250 years for that to happen.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-15, 13:52   #22
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

5·23·67 Posts

The whole concept of anthems and pledges of allegiance are just nationalistic BS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge...Bellamy_pledge

Nationalism yields nothing but bad things.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote