mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2020-11-21, 21:28   #265
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

919810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk74 View Post
Right a GPU. I'm going on about 10 days. Would it make a difference to switch the setting to TPU since we aren't getting a GPU anyway?
Do you have code that can take advantage of a TPU?
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-22, 13:01   #266
Ensigm

Aug 2020

1628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk74 View Post
Right a GPU. I'm going on about 10 days. Would it make a difference to switch the setting to TPU since we aren't getting a GPU anyway?
I believe it has something to do with the time in a day. 22:00-01:00 GMT might give you a better chance to catch a GPU, especially a T4.
Ensigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-22, 15:55   #267
mrk74

Jan 2020

5×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Do you have code that can take advantage of a TPU?
I don't know anything about coding at all so no.

FINALLY I catch a GPU! And a T4 at that. Edit: It only lasted 45 mins.

Last fiddled with by mrk74 on 2020-11-22 at 16:05
mrk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 19:04   #268
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×3×1,567 Posts
Default So long, and thanks for all the factors Colab...

Hey everyone. Super busy at the moment; behind on an impossible schedule.

But... It definitely seems like the "honeymoon" is over with Colab.

I had a theory that each user was being treated differently by the "black box" that is Google. And the recent personal empirical observed by myself combined with other Colab users' observations support this.

My thirteen (13#) Colab accounts have been getting no more than an hour of GPU per day, usually only about 30 minutes, for the last week or so. And, for the last few days, even the CPU instances are now only surviving an hour or so.

Super weirdly, one GPU72 Colab Notebook user appears to continue to get four (4#) concurrent GPU sessions quite regularly.

While this is disappointing for our long-term resource management planning, we have absolutely no reason to complain.

It was fun while it lasted, we all learnt a huge amount about instance coding and IPC, and lastly, a huge amount of work was done!

Thanks, Google, for the playground and all the Factors. Sincerely.

P.S. I'm going to keep spinning up Colab instances as part of my daily workflow. I'll let everyone know if availability becomes more useful to us over time.

P.P.S. The anecdotal empirical suggests that those *not* running the GPU72 Colab Notebook might be having greater access. Excellent.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 19:33   #269
moebius

Jul 2009
Germany

547 Posts
Smile

I want to briefly explain my strategy with which I have from June 2020 until now to get to 95% a 10-12 hour gpu runtime.

1. Use of only 3 free google accounts

2. Exclusive use of only one notebook at the same time (log out at all other google accounts)

3. I only run gpuowl, no mprime, mfaktc or anything else and no P-1 with gpuowl

This leads to the following.

A. Always a GPU runtime available (mostly P100. T4, P4 always) with at least 1 of 3 accounts

B. Partial prevention of the download of files from Google Colab (Google Drive) to the PC

Bypassing B.

Release the file for unrestricted viewing / downloading for all.

May the google gods have mercy on me.

Last fiddled with by moebius on 2020-11-24 at 20:06
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 19:38   #270
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

13·349 Posts
Default Similar here

=====> Is me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I want to briefly explain my strategy with which I have from June 2020 until now to get to 95% a 10-12 hour gpu runtime.

1. Use of only 3 google accounts
=====> I have 2

2. Exclusive use of only one notebook at the same time (log out at all other google accounts)
=====> Both at same time

3. I only run gpuowl, no mprime, maktc or anything else
=====> Only GpuOwl latetly

This leads to the following.

A. Always a GPU runtime available (mostly P100. T4, P4 always) with at least 1 of 3 accounts
=====> 95% of the time it gives me a T4; eventually (5-25 tries) I get 2 P100's.

B. Partial prevention of the download of files from Google Colab to the PC

Bypassing B.

Release the file for unrestricted viewing / downloading for all.

May the google gods have mercy on me.
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-26, 23:52   #271
moebius

Jul 2009
Germany

22316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
=====> Is me.
=====> Both at same time
Do you let the two accounts and notebooks run time-shifted or really at the same time? Otherwise you would at some point no longer have to get a runtime for both accounts.
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-27, 00:02   #272
petrw1

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

11B916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
Do you let the two accounts and notebooks run time-shifted or really at the same time? Otherwise you would at some point no longer have to get a runtime for both accounts.
Usually both at the same time.
Occasionally I can't get two P100s in one sitting; I try again an hour or two later; and this may take 3 or 4 tries which of course staggers them a bit.
They are signed on with different emails so I'm hoping Colab thinks they are different people.
Old 2020-11-27, 22:03   #273
petrw1

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

13·349 Posts
Default Do we keep getting the same GPU? .... almost never.

For the last week or so I have been saving the UUID of every GPU Colab offers me.
In that time period of 125 T4 GPUs offered only two have the same UUID; and these were offered on different days; not back to back.
Old 2020-11-28, 16:09   #274
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

3·137 Posts

I noticed today that after being especially persistant about re-starting the sessions when they die, it started giving me a different error - that there simply were no gpus available. Not that I'd hit my quots, or couldn't connect to a gpu, but that there were none.

I pulled up the help on this and got a message about google policy strictly forbidding cryptocurrency mining, and so if were were doing that our gpu availability would be reduced or revoked altogether.

So that's what I think this is - it thinks we're doing cryptocurrency mining and removing gpu time accordingly.
Aramis Wyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-28, 16:37   #275
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

3×1,181 Posts

I tried one of my Colab "How I . . ." sessions with GPU and got a P100, but I haven't done any GPU runs in a few months. I never do try to get anything specific and I'm not too frequently running Colab, although recently I've had as many as four CPU sessions open on one account for all day (probably around 12 hours) a couple times.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote