mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2018-03-14, 21:29   #1
sd235

Mar 2018
Cambridge, MA

2 Posts
Default Why have ECM testing for known non-prime Mersenne numbers?

Out of curiosity, I requested that my computer get ECM assignments. I got assignments for numbers like M48437, M65413, etc. These are relatively small Mersenne numbers that we already know are not prime. Why is GIMPS asking my computer to test them further?
sd235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-14, 22:34   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100101011001002 Posts

Part of the GIMPS entire project is finding factors for exponents. There are folks looking at them. Lower numbers like the ones you mentioned are now best served by ECM, not TF or other methods.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-14, 23:11   #3
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

165048 Posts

If your computer is rather slow or not running many hours a day, then the server may have determined it would take too long to run a double-check test, instead giving you the quicker ECM assignment.

You can force the work type you prefer in the Test / Worker Windows dialog box.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 03:24   #4
sd235

Mar 2018
Cambridge, MA

216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Part of the GIMPS entire project is finding factors for exponents. There are folks looking at them. Lower numbers like the ones you mentioned are now best served by ECM, not TF or other methods.
Got it, thanks for the clarification!
sd235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 13:44   #5
GP2

Sep 2003

2·5·7·37 Posts

You yourself requested ECM testing for your computer. In practice, ECM is only done for Mersenne exponents that already have known factors.

ECM is not cost-effective for exponents that haven't been first-time tested (in the 70 million range) or exponents that haven't been double-checked (in the 40 million range). Using ECM to look for factors of such exponents would take longer than just doing Lucas-Lehmer (LL) tests.

It is cost-effective to do trial-factoring (TF) or P−1 testing to search for factors of such exponents, in order to save time and skip some Lucas-Lehmer tests. However, as mentioned above, it isn't cost-effective to do ECM if your goal is solely to look for Mersenne primes.

However, ECM is capable of finding factors that TF and P−1 aren't able to find, and some consider it interesting to search for additional factors just for fun. This is usually done only for fairly small exponents.

Another reason that the software provides ECM is that some older computers simply can't do LL testing fast enough for exponents in the ranges currently being tested. They might take a year or more to do a single exponent, and in that time their assignment would probably expire, and the exponent would be reassigned to another user. However, those older computers can still do interesting work by searching for additional factors using ECM.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 07:43   #6
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

3·487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
In practice, ECM is only done for Mersenne exponents that already have known factors.
Well, not quite. A considerable amount of the global ECM effort, I would say the largest part of it, is geared towards finding factors for numbers that, although already LL tested and DCed, thus being necessarily not prime, have not yet any known factor.

Last fiddled with by lycorn on 2018-03-16 at 07:43
lycorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 14:00   #7
GP2

Sep 2003

2×5×7×37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycorn View Post
Well, not quite. A considerable amount of the global ECM effort, I would say the largest part of it, is geared towards finding factors for numbers that, although already LL tested and DCed, thus being necessarily not prime, have not yet any known factor.
Yes, I should have written "already known to be composite" rather than "already have known factors". Just got muddled there for some reason. I've even run a few ECM tests myself on exponents with no known factors.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-05, 19:56   #8
section31

Dec 2015
Local Group

23 Posts

Quote:
However, ECM is capable of finding factors that TF and P−1 aren't able to find, and some consider it interesting to search for additional factors just for fun. This is usually done only for fairly small exponents.
I was recently assigned ECM work via the "Whatever makes sense" option (for the first time that I can recall), had this same question, and found this thread. Finding factors through ECM just for fun is fine... I'm wondering though if there's anything it's useful for otherwise... i.e. they'll end world hunger or get us to Mars faster.

Last fiddled with by section31 on 2018-12-05 at 19:58
section31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-05, 20:14   #9
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by section31 View Post
i.e. they'll end world hunger or get us to Mars faster.
No. We do this kind of work because we enjoy it.

It consumes energy. There is no upside beyond the enjoyment.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-06, 05:26   #10
irowiki

Sep 2018

3·23 Posts

Quote:
You yourself requested ECM testing for your computer. I
Another reason that the software provides ECM is that some older computers simply can't do LL testing fast enough for exponents in the ranges currently being tested. They might take a year or more to do a single exponent, and in that time their assignment would probably expire, and the exponent would be reassigned to another user. However, those older computers can still do interesting work by searching for additional factors using ECM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by section31 View Post
I was recently assigned ECM work via the "Whatever makes sense" option (for the first time that I can recall), had this same question, and found this thread. Finding factors through ECM just for fun is fine... I'm wondering though if there's anything it's useful for otherwise... i.e. they'll end world hunger or get us to Mars faster.

Also, sometimes GIMPS, via "Whatever makes sense", will assign ECM because for whatever reason, on a new install, the computer (client) reports as a 100mhz.

After crunching ECM for a few days the server realizes it is fine and then assigns a DC instead.
irowiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-06, 15:15   #11
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

26·71 Posts

I suppose it is also possible that, TF and P-1 being done, and the large cofactor still being composite, ECM might split off another factor, after which the remaining cofactor might be a very large PRP. That would be a nice feather in someone's cap...
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote