chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100101011001002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnml View Post
Still I don't get the connection to hiding the details of the possible success. If some silly media get's crazy about an unverified result, shame on them. (Many of them do that anyway on a daily basis.)
It's referred to as "managing the message".

For M49 there was a discussion as to the timing of the release -- it turned out to be perfect. It was a "slow news day", so there was widespread (and accurate) coverage. And GIMPS enjoyed a huge increase in donated cycles.

Quote:
Once the result is verified, it's time for the project's official statement, that's all IMO.
And this will happen. Quite quickly.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 21:33   #112
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

164758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
On another note, I think this was the first false prime report.
I think the exponent was 16.7M at that time, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
That was the first and only false positive that "fooled me". I was confident verification would prove it prime. We've made great improvements in our error checks since then.

Now let's say (1) we had exposed the exponent prematurely, and (2) some reporter, blogger, redditer, whatever ran with it as a "scoop". When we later had to withdraw our claim of a new prime that would have damaged GIMPS' reputation. Real scientists don't publish results until they've thoroughly checked them.

Instead, we've made a compromise. We let people know of the discovery and make a "game" out of guessing the exponent or discoverer. Compare this to the last Slowinski Mersenne prime. IIRC, it was discovered in May and announced in Autumn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
It's referred to as "managing the message".

For M49 there was a discussion as to the timing of the release -- it turned out to be perfect. It was a "slow news day", so there was widespread (and accurate) coverage.
This is somewhat true. We do our best to guess the timing, but how much the story catches on is quite unpredictable. Our worst timing was announcing the day before princess Diana died - you can guess how of a news splash that prime made!

I do believe any announcement before the 3rd will be drowned out by "Happy New Year" coverage. Anyway, that gives CudaLucas and Mlucas plenty of time to finish. Remember, madpoo's verification was done with the same software and hardware architecture - it does not count as an official verification.

Last fiddled with by Prime95 on 2017-12-28 at 21:35
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 21:38   #113
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

11101001111012 Posts

BTW, the main web page has been updated.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 21:49   #114
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22·2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
BTW, the main web page has been updated.
A suggested edit: s/One of project's/One of the project's/;
Old 2017-12-28, 22:00   #115
tha

Dec 2002

3×271 Posts

Quote:
Once the result is verified, it's time for the project's official statement, that's all IMO.
Proper verification is still being worked on and will take just a couple more hours. The verification run that just ended is a very good indication of the result to be expected from the proper one, which is being done on independent software and hardware. Remember that the x86 processor contains many known errors in its design and probably a number of unknown errors. Remember the infamous FDIV error?

The official statement is already being worked on, but even completing that can easily take more than a day.
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 22:41   #116
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

3·977 Posts

I have to give one more hint: it starts with a 7.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 22:45   #117
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts
Default To All Impatient Folks

There are very good tactical AND strategic reasons for being cautious when Officially Reporting a New Prime. Maintaining Accuracy is one of those reasons. Stimulating Positive Press with such announcements is a related aim. Related to that is the effect, positive or negative, such announcements may have on the GIMPS project's ability to attract, and keep, more participants.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 23:28   #118
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

37×89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha View Post
Proper verification is still being worked on and will take just a couple more hours. The verification run that just ended is a very good indication of the result to be expected from the proper one, which is being done on independent software and hardware. Remember that the x86 processor contains many known errors in its design and probably a number of unknown errors. Remember the infamous FDIV error?

The official statement is already being worked on, but even completing that can easily take more than a day.
Yeah... ^^ mostly that.

I mentioned earlier in this thread (easy to miss) that since we've had a spate of false positives the past couple years, I try not to get too worked up when a new one is reported. I'll do an "unofficial" run on them even if they seem really fishy (and most of them were).

This one stood out from the others just based on its provenance (the user and cpu involved, as well as some other details like how long between assignment and result). With that in mind, I started my unofficial run but also thought it was a good enough bet to find someone to do the official verification run before mine was complete.

Good thing... that means we'll know 100% for sure a little sooner, although I do get George's point about timing the announcement to get maximum publicity.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 23:58   #119
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22×2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
I have to give one more hint: it starts with a 7.
Does it end with a 5 or a 2?
Old 2017-12-29, 00:18   #120
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

3×977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Does it end with a 5 or a 2?
With a 0, actually.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote