Old 2017-12-28, 20:20   #100
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

22×1,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I'm missing something blindingly obvious.
Yes, you've assumed we know how to set up and maintain a mailing list.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 20:27   #101
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

22×1,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
4 between 100 and 101
6 between 101 and 102
4 between 102 and 103
8 between 103 and 104
6 between 104 and 105
5 between 105 and 106
5 between 106 and 107
11 between 107 and 108 (and now probably 12)
People need to read that and let it sink in.

If we revert to the historical norm, we should expect 5 or 6 new primes between exponents 80,000,000 and 800,000,000. That's 5 or 6 new primes over the next 3 (or more) decades!!
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 20:30   #102
jnml

Feb 2012
Prague, Czech Republ

AB16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Yes, you've assumed we know how to set up and maintain a mailing list.
BTW, I have a genuine question: Why to hide, even temporarily, the details of the possible success? The project seems to me to be dependent on a community of volunteers. Why the community and/or anyone else for that matter, cannot access this information freely?
jnml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 20:35   #103
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

1001010011102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnml View Post
BTW, I have a genuine question: Why to hide, even temporarily, the details of the possible success? The project seems to me to be dependent on a community of volunteers. Why the community and/or anyone else for that matter, cannot access this information freely?
It's to spare the user of embarrassment in the event of a false positive.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 20:38   #104
tha

Dec 2002

3×271 Posts

Quote:
Because finding a record prime is a big thing, with news coverage world wide. That means a press statement needs to be drawn up. All the information in the article must be validated, which takes a couple of days, Not just the verification of the prime but also the details about the finder.

If information is given out partially the press coverage could easily result in inaccurate or likely, just plain wrong information hurting people and the project. So a temporary ban on specific details, lasting only a little time is a small price to pay for good coverage.
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 20:38   #105
pepi37

Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

24×89 Posts

In last case of prime , does we have nearly identical discovery date? Prime was discovered before New Year, but only after , when human read logs, found that prime is discovered :)
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 20:38   #106
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3·31·103 Posts

Quote:
Why to hide, even temporarily, the details of the possible success?
Verification. With so many false positives, it is critical that the new prime be tested multiple times with different software and different hardware before an official announcement is made by George / GIMPS.

Users of George's Prime95 / mprime software and/or those who use the GIMPS mersenne.org website to get assignments agree to let him make the official announcement -- see http://mersenne.org/legal/.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 20:44   #107
jnml

Feb 2012
Prague, Czech Republ

32·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Embarrassment? What's embarrassing when a device known to never be able to be 100% error-free makes an error in a long term computation?
Old 2017-12-28, 20:47   #108
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

37·89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
In last case of prime , does we have nearly identical discovery date? Prime was discovered before New Year, but only after , when human read logs, found that prime is discovered :)
The previous prime (M49) was found by a computer in September 2015 but I didn't see it sitting in the database until January 2016 (which we use as the "date of discovery" in that case).

At least in this case the date of discovery was the same day for human and machine. Hmm... now that I think about it, the email went out at midnight UTC (4 PM my timezone which is when I saw it).

I'm just assuming we're working from the timezone of the first person to lay eyes on it which was December 26th for me, even though the Primenet server had just ticked over to the 27th.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-28, 20:49   #109
jnml

Feb 2012
Prague, Czech Republ

32×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Verification. With so many false positives, it is critical that the new prime be tested multiple times with different software and different hardware before an official announcement is made by George / GIMPS.

Users of George's Prime95 / mprime software and/or those who use the GIMPS mersenne.org website to get assignments agree to let him make the official announcement -- see http://mersenne.org/legal/.
Verification is a must, of course. Still I don't get the connection to hiding the details of the possible success. If some silly media get's crazy about an unverified result, shame on them. (Many of them do that anyway on a daily basis.)

Once the result is verified, it's time for the project's official statement, that's all IMO.
Old 2017-12-28, 20:51   #110
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

2·311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
No, it's more of an issue with getting things out to the press properly:
http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpos...21&postcount=5
Quote:
Prematurely disclosing the exponent would tempt some smaller operators to publish the result before verification completes. Yes, they might say it is pending verification, but they might not as reporters are of uneven caliber.

At times it has been easier to "sell" the story to a reporter if he is told he will be the first to publish the number.

If we predisclose the number and discoverer that increases the incentive to falsify a prime find for the notoriety of it all. If we predisclose the number and not the discoverer then the discoverer might not get the credit he is due if the news is published early.

Prematurely announcing the exponent is not particulary harmful to GIMPS. The last several have been deduced by people in this forum with no ill effect. GIMPS reputation is firmly established such that reporting a false or faked prime find is unlikely to have much negative impact.

If there were no press involved (my preference as it would make life much simpler) then I agree we could pre-announce the exponent and discoverer. It is easier to "erase" a false find from a web page than a newspaper!
On another note, I think this was the first false prime report: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=672

I think the exponent was 16.7M at that time, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote