mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data

Old 2016-06-13, 17:25   #1
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

292910 Posts
Default What percentage of CPUs/GPUs have done a double check?

Now that we've had the double-check-once-per-year setting in place for a while, I'm curious how that has affected the number of machines that have done at least one double check. Are we finding a lot more bad machines?
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-16, 22:44   #2
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22·2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
Now that we've had the double-check-once-per-year setting in place for a while, I'm curious how that has affected the number of machines that have done at least one double check. Are we finding a lot more bad machines?
GPU double checks led me to abandon CUDALucas. I could probably have gotten it to work if I had slowed everything some more. However, now, with only on card running, I am reluctant to stop TF, which seems very reliable.
My CPU does almost all DCs, after a brief flirtation with P-1 on one worker. chalsall's worries about having enough TF'd assignments for habitual P-1 people sent me back to all DC.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2016-06-16 at 22:44 Reason: ,
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 05:27   #3
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×5×7×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
I should have done a check earlier, but as of right now there are 19,569 machines that have zero good, zero bad results.

I don't know where we were at earlier this year... any change may be from first-time check only machines doing a DC and showing they were reliable (or maybe not).

I also just gave AirSquirrels a batch of exponents to test from systems with no good/no bad, just so we can get something on the board for them.

Many of these systems haven't checked anything in recently, they only have a handful of results from years ago, so people double-checking their stuff is the only way we're going to know.

AirSquirrels and I have also been going through the backlog of exponents that need a triple-check... I think there's something like 5000 total, of which 2000 or so are currently unassigned.

Sometimes I feel like that's a "two steps forward, one step back" because just when I think I'm gaining ground, a bunch of those assigned exponents will expire. But then again I think when I started on this it was somewhere around 3000 unassigned, so it's definitely chugging along. Right now, just about everything below 40M is in progress, and between 40-48M is mostly being done but it's building up again from those expired assignments.

Someone else will have to do a bunch of triple-checks that I can't, because I turned in one of the results, but at least in those cases I'm just assuming mine was right.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 13:57   #4
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

29·101 Posts

All the way up to 48M? Nice!

And less than 20k machines shouldn't take more than a year to validate, especially if a lot of those machines self-validate when they first get a DC.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 14:38   #5
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

5·911 Posts

These are the year- to-date user counts today.
From here; erasing the personal numbers and only reporting the count in the "of" column.
http://www.mersenne.org/account/?details=1

Code:
Type    of
TF	1,794
P-1	630	
LL	2,553	
LL-D	4,457	
ECM	846	
ECMF	105
Overall	6,068
I don't have the post handy but I do recall a few years ago noting that P-1, LL and DC were all almost exactly 2,000.

Today DC is well over double that.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote