mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2015-11-16, 13:08   #12
tha

Dec 2002

3×269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
With the deepest of respect, "confront" is quite different than "engage".

If I May, many of my very best friends are Muslim. Several other very good friends are Christians, Atheists and Agnostics et al.

I would trust my life to any of them without a millisecond's thought.

The sad part is that religion is being used to divide.

IMO, for profit....
The people in the Middle-East fight each other for the same reason why the people fought each other in Europe when WWI and WWII were raging, lack of and skewed distribution of resources among the population. Religion or political ideology like nationalism or antisemitism is only an instrument to get the little people marching.

Yes, I have muslim friends, christian friends, and the lot as well. The thing that worries me is that the explosions that took place in my vicinity and were aimed at random civilians were perpetrated by the same people that use religion to make their case. So, I feel safer if those who oppress the people in Iran are engaged is such a way that they will be removed from power, so that the billions that are being spend on terror in foreign countries dries up as well.
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-16, 17:46   #13
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

224118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha View Post
The people in the Middle-East fight each other for the same reason why the people fought each other in Europe when WWI and WWII were raging, lack of and skewed distribution of resources among the population. Religion or political ideology like nationalism or antisemitism is only an instrument to get the little people marching.
Generally agree. But, not only in the Middle-East...

Heck, look at the division in the United States of America between Whites and "Colored". What is the ratio of the prison population again?

Quote:
So, I feel safer if those who oppress the people in Iran are engaged is such a way that they will be removed from power, so that the billions that are being spend on terror in foreign countries dries up as well.
I'm probably being naive, but my position is each country is (by definition) sovereign.

Block the borders? Fine.

Refuse trade? Fine.

Lock extra-national assets? Fine.

Attack in the hope of regime change? (Heuristically) Stupid.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-16, 19:37   #14
tha

Dec 2002

3·269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Generally agree. But, not only in the Middle-East...

Heck, look at the division in the United States of America between Whites and "Colored". What is the ratio of the prison population again?

I'm probably being naive, but my position is each country is (by definition) sovereign.

Block the borders? Fine.

Refuse trade? Fine.

Lock extra-national assets? Fine.

Attack in the hope of regime change? (Heuristically) Stupid.
As my grand parents spent most of the 5 years prior to WWII calling for regime change in neighboring Germany, I do not feel uncomfortable with the costs associated with such a war effort, neither do I feel uncomfortable with being part of a minority group of people calling for action. Also, I am certain of the world order restoring to desired governing, it is just bad to realize that we first try every way to avoid the unavoidable and hence let the problem grow before tackling.
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-16, 20:32   #15
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100101000010012 Posts

Quote:
As my grand parents spent most of the 5 years prior to WWII calling for regime change in neighboring Germany, I do not feel uncomfortable with the costs associated with such a war effort, neither do I feel uncomfortable with being part of a minority group of people calling for action. Also, I am certain of the world order restoring to desired governing, it is just bad to realize that we first try every way to avoid the unavoidable and hence let the problem grow before tackling.
If I may share...

One of my grandfathers died in WWI at the front.

My Father (Michael) and his twin brother (Tony) volunteered to be fighter pilots during WWII.

My step father (John) was an engineer "on the ground" at D-Day.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2015-11-16 at 20:34 Reason: Added names....
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 17:46   #16
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22·2,539 Posts

Tom Tomorrow nails it, again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMW2015-11-18color.png
Views:	155
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	13420  
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 19:19   #17
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

72528 Posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b08cda348a7f23
Quote:
Charlie Hebdo's Cover Doesn't Mince Words In Response To Paris Attack
"They have weapons. F**k them, we have Champagne!"
John Oliver on Paris Terrorists: 'F--k These ...(NSFW language)
Quote:
Oliver then rattled off all the many reasons why a terrorist group raging a cultural war against France can never win: Edith Piaf, Marcel Proust, fine wine and the monolithic pastry dish known as the croquembouche, "a French Freedom Tower." "To the people of France, our thoughts are with you," Oliver said before formally launching into Last Week Tonight's regularly scheduled segments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquembouche
Quote:
croquembouche or croque-en-bouche is a French dessert consisting of choux pastry balls piled into a cone and bound with threads of caramel. In Italy and France, it is often served at weddings, baptisms, and first communions.

The name comes from the French phrase croque en bouche, meaning "[something that] crunches in the mouth."

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2015-11-17 at 20:10 Reason: add quote. looked up croquembouche.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 20:01   #18
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13×89 Posts

Mildly crude, but related and we are in the soapbox safety after all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1447770093701.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	13421  

Last fiddled with by chappy on 2015-11-17 at 20:02 Reason: Auto correct is weird.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 21:28   #19
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

25·331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
Mildly crude, but related and we are in the soapbox safety after all.
C|N>K

That seems to have been deleted so I retweeted.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 22:22   #20
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

13×19×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
Do those come with a free side order of national-flag-colored pom-poms?

----------------------------

How Belgium became a breeding ground for international terrorists | The Guardian

Note both Tunisia (source of many or most Belgian muslims) and Algeria (whence most French muslims) are former French colonies. Unclear to me if French colonial rule in Tunisia was as brutal as it was in Algeria.
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 22:31   #21
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

1110101010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Do those come with a free side order of national-flag-colored pom-poms?

----------------------------

How Belgium became a breeding ground for international terrorists | The Guardian

Note both Tunisia (source of many or most Belgian muslims) and Algeria (whence most French muslims) are former French colonies. Unclear to me if French colonial rule in Tunisia was as brutal as it was in Algeria.
This tangentially relates to both remarks. I found a fairly long cut so as to also include Claude Rains' great line.
http://youtu.be/KTsg9i6lvqU

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2015-11-17 at 22:34 Reason: s/'s/s'/
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 22:44   #22
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22×2,539 Posts

Great scene!

Quote:
I fear that we will be seeing fallout which involves the period of rampant colonialism for a long time to come. Just the national borders in the ME are courtesy of the colonial powers, and the causes of conflicts (see Kurdistan).
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote