mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2021-01-16, 15:28   #1
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

22·3·7·43 Posts
Default ATX Power Supply

Please forgive my possibly too ignorant state.

I am trying to see if I can replace a power supply in any of my systems to include one that can power a GPU. None of my current systems have the extra lines form the supply. For example, a Tesla K80 needs to be supplied with at least a single 8-pin connector (if rated high enough) or two 8-pin connectors via an adapter cable.

In my research of power supplies for ATX systems, I'm finding different ones with several 4 pin connectors, but some of those don't appear to include the standard(?) 4-pin 12V for the motherboard. To complicate things, some of my motherboards use the 6(8)-pin connector themselves which leaves none for a GPU.

Can the power supplies with multiple 4-pin connectors be used by placing two 4-pin supply connectors into the 8-pin GPU connector?

Thanks for any help.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 16:39   #2
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

358910 Posts

Buy a new capable modern efficient PSU

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2021-01-16 at 16:39
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 16:45   #3
Viliam Furik

"Viliam Furík"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

17316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post

I am trying to see if I can replace a power supply in any of my systems to include one that can power a GPU. None of my current systems have the extra lines form the supply. For example, a Tesla K80 needs to be supplied with at least a single 8-pin connector (if rated high enough) or two 8-pin connectors via an adapter cable.

In my research of power supplies for ATX systems, I'm finding different ones with several 4 pin connectors, but some of those don't appear to include the standard(?) 4-pin 12V for the motherboard. To complicate things, some of my motherboards use the 6(8)-pin connector themselves which leaves none for a GPU.

Can the power supplies with multiple 4-pin connectors be used by placing two 4-pin supply connectors into the 8-pin GPU connector?

Thanks for any help.
There are two types of 8-pin connectors...

The first type of 8-pin is 4+4, used for CPU power, plugged into the motherboard. The second type is 6+2, used for mainly the GPUs, but can be used for other compatible devices. AFAIK, the won't even fit into each other, because the pin casings are different -> different arrangement of square ones and square with two adjacent corners cut down.

If you still need help, please, send some pictures.
Viliam Furik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 16:57   #4
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

25D16 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for any help.
I looked at the K80 power supply cables available on Ebay at the 8 pin male power end is unique to Tesla. It is NOT the same as a standard PCIE 8 pin.
I think that the cables for the mother board WILL NOT WORK in a GPU and vice versa.
Paul Underwood's post has good advice .William Furtik's is correct.
If you're not careful, you could fry your motherboard and everything on it and/or wreck your GPU.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 16:59   #5
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

22×3×7×43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
Buy a new capable modern efficient PSU
This is my hope, but the connectors are confusing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viliam Furik View Post
There are two types of 8-pin connectors...

The first type of 8-pin is 4+4, used for CPU power, plugged into the motherboard. The second type is 6+2, used for mainly the GPUs, but can be used for other compatible devices. AFAIK, the won't even fit into each other, because the pin casings are different -> different arrangement of square ones and square with two adjacent corners cut down.

If you still need help, please, send some pictures.
Thanks! This will help in my studies.
Old 2021-01-16, 17:13   #6
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

70058 Posts

Quote:
This is my hope, but the connectors are confusing me.

Thanks! This will help in my studies.
As has been said, they 8 pin CPU plug is not interchangeable with the GPU ones. If your board uses only 4 pins for the CPU feed then make sure to get a 4+4.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 19:27   #7
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

22×3×7×43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
As has been said, they 8 pin CPU plug is not interchangeable with the GPU ones. If your board uses only 4 pins for the CPU feed then make sure to get a 4+4.
Thanks! That helps me figure this out.
Old 2021-01-17, 13:48   #8
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

22·3·7·43 Posts

I believe I have found a supply with connectors to cover all examples. It's 500 watts:
Code:

Drive/Power Connectors 
Modular - - - - - - Non-Modular 
ATX Connector - - - 20+4-pin 
ATX 12V Connector - 1 x 4+4-pin 
Graphics Connector- 2 x 6-pin, 2 x 6+2-pin 
Molex Connector - - 3 
SATA Connector- - - 6 

Power Specifications 
PFC - - - - - - - - Active 
Rating- - - - - - - 80 PLUS Certified 
Energy Efficiency - > 80% Typical
Are there any things I've missed, or not considered and should?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 2021-01-17, 16:25   #9
chris2be8

Sep 2009

24·53 Posts

Looking round http://www.hardwarebook.net/ you should be able to find pictures of every type of connector. And details of what they are used for.

Chris
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-17, 16:42   #10
preda

"Mihai Preda"
Apr 2015

2·11·61 Posts

I would recommend to get a 850W or at least 750W PSU, Gold 80+, and modular or semi-modular. Maybe read some reviews of the model before buying. The reason is: you have some power headroom (to 850W), and Gold 80+ [semi]modular tend to be higher quality, and generate less heat and noise.

Quote:
I believe I have found a supply with connectors to cover all examples. It's 500 watts:
Code:

Drive/Power Connectors 
Modular - - - - - - Non-Modular 
ATX Connector - - - 20+4-pin 
ATX 12V Connector - 1 x 4+4-pin 
Graphics Connector- 2 x 6-pin, 2 x 6+2-pin 
Molex Connector - - 3 
SATA Connector- - - 6 

Power Specifications 
PFC - - - - - - - - Active 
Rating- - - - - - - 80 PLUS Certified 
Energy Efficiency - > 80% Typical
Are there any things I've missed, or not considered and should?

Thanks for all the help!

Last fiddled with by preda on 2021-01-17 at 16:42
preda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-17, 16:55   #11
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

1110000111002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2be8 View Post
Looking round http://www.hardwarebook.net/ you should be able to find pictures of every type of connector. And details of what they are used for.

Chris
Thanks, but that page does not work for me. Clicking the ATX Power Supply link on the initial page gets a 404 error page and then I can't get back to the original page until I reload my browser.

I did find some images elsewhere and the posts in this thread have really helped.