Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > ONeil

Old 2020-12-16, 00:35   #34
storm5510
Random Account

"Norman D. Powell"
Aug 2009
Indiana, USA.

2×3×313 Posts

Am I afraid of the vaccine? Not really, would be my answer. If it were available now, would I take it? No. I would want to wait and see what side-effects are reported, if any. Then I would consider it. There are stories floating around about bad side-effects. Fact or fiction, I don't know.

Something I wrote in another topic: My sister, who is 61, is a RN at the local hospital and works exclusively with COVID patients. None of her nurse coworkers are willing to take it when it becomes available locally. My sister volunteered.

My last doctor checkup was one week ago. I was given a flu shot and a pneumonia shot. They said the latter is standard practice for anyone 65 or older, which I am. Unless contacted beforehand, my next appointment is March 8. If they were to offer the vaccine at some point before, I would go and take it. As far as I can tell, they will do this on an appointment basis. They would not want throngs of people gathering in all at once when the word gets out that they have it.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 00:49   #35
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×3,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
If [a vaccine] were available now, would I take it? No. I would want to wait and see what side-effects are reported, if any. Then I would consider it.

... my next appointment is March 8. If they were to offer the vaccine at some point before, I would go and take it.
Those two statements confuse me. They appear to contradict each other.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 02:11   #36
storm5510
Random Account

"Norman D. Powell"
Aug 2009
Indiana, USA.

2·3·313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Those two statements confuse me. They appear to contradict each other.
They shouldn't, considering the time distance between. Now vs. March. A lot can happen in three months. A lot can happen in a minute...
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 03:51   #37
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×3,041 Posts

Quote:
They shouldn't, considering the time distance between. Now vs. March. A lot can happen in three months. A lot can happen in a minute...
I guess you mistyped something then. I looks like you are saying if they offer you a vaccine "some point before" March you "would go and take it". So that could be tomorrow.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 04:44   #38
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

52×7×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
The two go hand in hand. <snip> The modern problem is that cranks can now easily organise online and exponentially exacerbate their crankiness.
Very good post.
I have my "constipation theories" too, as someone likes to call them, but "they kill us with the vaccination" is not one of them. What would they do with an empty world? When I was in Ro, after the iron curtain went down, people were scared that rich men will come from west, buy all the factories, and fire all the workers. What would the rich people buy the factories for? To roller-skate inside? Build luxury homes? Who will buy the homes if people won't have jobs? I still have to see the entrepreneur who is stupid enough to buy a factory to scrap it, when he could use the cheap work force and cheap local supply to make production, and get rich.

Of course I would take the vaccine. Maybe 30 or 40 years ago I would have thought differently, or I would have been worried for the future LaurV generations, but now I am not going to have any children anymore, and few years more or less, caused by the vaccine, won't mean too much for myself. If there is a chance I would help others and help the society by sticking a red hot iron in my ass, I would do that too. I didn't do anything in my life worth to be remembered for, hehe.

ONeil, are you scared? You should be, but not because of vaccine. Because of people who have nothing to lose anymore...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-12-16 at 05:05
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 04:48   #39
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

11CA16 Posts

Quote:
A lot can happen in a minute...
Yeah; just ask my wife
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 04:57   #40
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

52·7·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
Obligatory xkcd
https://xkcd.com/1520/
I think you wanted to link this: https://xkcd.com/2398/
Hihi.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 06:13   #41
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

2·3·5·311 Posts

No, previous one is a propos - https://xkcd.com/2397/
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 09:45   #42
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2×2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
Obligatory xkcd
https://xkcd.com/1520/
And engineering made the benefits from all those fields not merely possible, but practical and economical and so widespread.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-12-16 at 09:48
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 09:57   #43
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

65516 Posts

What's also missing from this thread up to now is that public health is not about your health as an individual but the health of your society as a whole.

Unless your doctor advises you against it, it is your duty to those around you to get vaccinated.
When thousands of people are dying of a disease every day, your personal opinion is not relevant.

Last fiddled with by Nick on 2020-12-16 at 10:19 Reason: Clarification
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 15:13   #44
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

433610 Posts

I am not afraid of vaccinations in general, nor am I afraid of the new vaccines for COVID-19.

I do not expect any of the new vaccines to be available in sufficient quantity for general public use for months. So in that sense the question is premature. I think that people who deal directly with COVID-19 patients, be they health care providers (including family), law officers, or janitors, should get the first opportunity to gain some measure of protection.

The principal difficulties I foresee are logistical. In particular, this vaccine has to be kept cold until it is used. I expect that any doses not kept cold enough will simply have to be thrown out.

I am reassured about the vaccines' safety by the clinical trials already done, and also the fact that the only arguments offered against it so far (IMO) have been based on nothing but a pack of lies, going well into the realm of raving lunacy. If there were any legitimate reasons to think the vaccine were harmful, it is practically a rhetorical question to ask why such reasons are not being presented.

I also note that the OP proclaims himself an anti-vaxxer, hence averse to any kind of vaccination, which (at the risk of arrest for criminal belaboring of the obvious) indicates bias.

I also find the very title of the thread insulting. The appended "be honest" is an old propagandists' trick. On the one hand, it implies that anyone who doesn't answer "yes" is not being honest. On the other hand, it carries a sense of entitlement to a presumption of virtue by the person asking the question, and a right to pass judgement on the honesty, and perhaps the motives, of others. Since (as I have mentioned before) the OP's arguments are IMO completely dishonest, I find the demand "be honest" both disingenuous and hypocritical.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote