Old 2017-04-10, 17:53   #1222
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

11011111101102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
Perhaps the PrimeNet API has a different codepath for such results and also needs to be rewritten? Can you look into that please George?
I just checked. We were logging "unneeded" TF results, but not "unneeded" P-1 results. I just changed the PHP code so that both will be logged.

GP2: You could test this by submitting all your P-1 results to Primenet and James should pick them up automatically.

Last fiddled with by Prime95 on 2017-04-10 at 17:54
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 19:09   #1223
GP2

Sep 2003

29×89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I just checked. We were logging "unneeded" TF results, but not "unneeded" P-1 results. I just changed the PHP code so that both will be logged.

GP2: You could test this by submitting all your P-1 results to Primenet and James should pick them up automatically.
When submitted via the Manual Results page, "unneeded" unsuccessful P−1 results (NF-PM1) from mprime/Prime95 already do get logged, for instance see M160997. No GHz-days credit is given and you get the scary red error message, but the result is logged in the History. I have already submitted many of those, where both stage 1 and stage 2 were done by mprime. There are probably some more in the log files.

However, for some other results I did stage 1 with mprime and stage 2 with gmp-ecm, using a small script to convert the mprime savefile to a gmp-ecm savefile, and I don't think those results can be submitted via PrimeNet because there is no magic checksum à la "We8: 62D7DE0A". I can send them to you and James for manual insertion into the database, but there may be a rare bug in my script that does the conversion improperly in a few cases, which could possibly cause failure to detect factors, so I might wait a few days first to try to resolve that before sending them.

The above is about unsuccessful P−1 results (NF-PM1) for exponents that already have one or more known factors and where no new factor was found with P−1. Naturally, successful P−1 results (F-PM1) that discover a new factor do get both logged and credited. Where stage 2 used gmp-ecm, I report those manually to PrimeNet by composing a string in the usual "Mxxxxxx has a factor: nnnnnn (P-1, B1=nnnn, B2=nnnnnn)" format.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-11, 02:20   #1224
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2·3·1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
When submitted via the Manual Results page, "unneeded" unsuccessful P−1 results (NF-PM1) from mprime/Prime95 already do get logged, for instance see M160997.
Hmmm, then I may have misunderstood the PHP code I looked at today. I think this is for James and I to resolve offline.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-11, 10:16   #1225
Gordon

Nov 2008

3×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgeis View Post
If for example I choose

Number of assignments you want: 1
Preferred work range: TF for 100M digits Mersenne numbers
Optional exponent range: 900000000 to 999999999
Work preference: Highest exponents
Optional bit level to factor to: 70

I get something like

Factor=0BAC9681252C83C97BEC49A41436E3DB,979868807,69,74

which is not what I wanted. The resulting URL is

https://www.mersenne.org/manual_gpu_...5&factor_to=70
Since nobody else has asked it I will - why on earth are you doing TF on a cpu?

On a 970 going from 69-74 bits on 979868807 takes just 13 minutes.

How long does it take you just to go from 69-70?

As far having 700K+ exponents, you haven't got a top 500 supercomputer stashed away some where have you?

In the last 12 months with 2 gpu's I've only got through just over 72,000 exponents...

Yes, I know, your electricity etc....
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-11, 15:35   #1226
ramgeis

Apr 2013

22×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Since nobody else has asked it I will - why on earth are you doing TF on a cpu?
Nobody asked because it seems that you are the only one assuming I do TF on a CPU. I'm wondering why.

I do almost no CPU work as I don't have the resources. The 700K exponents were done in roughly 2 months to 70.

Doing a 900M exponent from 69-70 takes roughly 9 seconds, from 69-74 it would take roughly 5 minutes.
ramgeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-11, 17:34   #1227
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

32·103 Posts

Not sure if this is the best place to bring this up, but here goes anyway...

The "Account Assignment Details" page seems to have been changed.

Every few days, I log in to manually report TF results and get new assignments. (Being "hands on" like this keeps me close to the work.) The page that shows one's current assignments used to have a nifty and sortable column showing the number of days since a particular exponent was assigned; I used it to check for any assignments I might have missed or forgotten about. Now it looks like this column has been removed?

Instead, I see two new columns labeled "Current Cat" and "Original Cat" whose meaning is mysterious. (I formerly had cats and they were all originals, but I have no current cats.) These columns show values for LL's and LL-D's, but not for P-1's or TF's.

Is there a place on the Forum where these changes to the Account Assignment Details page are explained? I looked around some but nothing jumped out as likely to contain an explanation, and the most recent result in a forum search for "assignment details" was from November.

To achieve the same objective of determining the oldest (possibly forgotten) exponents, I suppose I could sort the "Assigned" column, but there's no beating the at-a-glance simplicity of seeing bunches of "1" or "98" or "135" to tell you which exponents are closest to expiring.

Last fiddled with by Rodrigo on 2017-04-11 at 17:34 Reason: addition
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 16:44   #1228
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

29×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
Not sure if this is the best place to bring this up, but here goes anyway...

The "Account Assignment Details" page seems to have been changed.

Every few days, I log in to manually report TF results and get new assignments. (Being "hands on" like this keeps me close to the work.) The page that shows one's current assignments used to have a nifty and sortable column showing the number of days since a particular exponent was assigned; I used it to check for any assignments I might have missed or forgotten about. Now it looks like this column has been removed?

Instead, I see two new columns labeled "Current Cat" and "Original Cat" whose meaning is mysterious. (I formerly had cats and they were all originals, but I have no current cats.) These columns show values for LL's and LL-D's, but not for P-1's or TF's.

Is there a place on the Forum where these changes to the Account Assignment Details page are explained? I looked around some but nothing jumped out as likely to contain an explanation, and the most recent result in a forum search for "assignment details" was from November.

To achieve the same objective of determining the oldest (possibly forgotten) exponents, I suppose I could sort the "Assigned" column, but there's no beating the at-a-glance simplicity of seeing bunches of "1" or "98" or "135" to tell you which exponents are closest to expiring.
The current/original "cat" is for "category". I didn't know if/how useful sorting by "age" was (you can still sort by assignment date which gives the same sort order). Knowing the original and current category (0 through 4) plus the estimated time until the exponent expires seemed more useful, but cramming more columns in meant purging some that didn't seem as useful.

And you mentioned seeing the exponents close to expiring... now you can sort on that column. Technically some work you have is probably overdue but it won't really expire until it gets into the lower categories of work, so it'll only show the "hard" expiration.

I still need to fix my expiration code to deal with work that hasn't been updated in XX days. It's kind of a moving target and I need to figure out a good threshold at which that expiration rule would apply and start counting down (like, it hasn't been updated in 2 weeks so maybe start showing that countdown instead of the regular one).

Factoring work doesn't have categories, only first/double LL checks... if all you do is factoring, then it wouldn't apply. I think there is some kind of expiration on TF assignments (after all, a TF assignment could hold up any potential LL assignments) but now that I think about it I don't know what the TF expiration rules are...

This was discussed in some other thread, but I don't recall where. Searching on here for the URL in question might find it. https://www.mersenne.org/workload/
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 17:59   #1229
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

52·373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Knowing the original and current category (0 through 4) plus the estimated time until the exponent expires seemed more useful, but cramming more columns in meant purging some that didn't seem as useful.
No good deed goes unpunished. 8-)

Your choices of the columns make sense, IMO. It is trivial for a user to find out, and sort, how old their assignments are. All the data is there.

If they allow the Javascript it is a simple click. If they are paranoid they can spider the page and do their own sorting.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 18:06   #1230
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

3×1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
I see two new columns labeled "Current Cat" and "Original Cat" whose meaning is mysterious.
(I formerly had cats and they were all originals, but I have no current cats.)
These columns show values for LL's and LL-D's, but not for P-1's or TF's.
Hilarious!
But yes, to those (like me) who are not familiar with these magical numbered cats, the meaning of those columns is quite opaque.
Perhaps Aaron could place a link somewhere at the top of the table to the Thresholds page which seems to explain the Meaning of the Numbered Cats.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 18:47   #1231
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

52×373 Posts

Quote:
Meaning of the Numbered Cats.
Just to be clear and explicit...

The "Numbered Cats" are the assignment rules and Categories of Primenet. Referencing https://www.mersenne.org/thresholds/.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 04:50   #1232
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

32×103 Posts

Quote:
Hilarious!
But yes, to those (like me) who are not familiar with these magical numbered cats, the meaning of those columns is quite opaque.
Perhaps Aaron could place a link somewhere at the top of the table to the Thresholds page which seems to explain the Meaning of the Numbered Cats.
Glad you liked the wordplay!

The "PrimeNet Assignment Rules" that Chris linked to (thank you, Chris) went a long way toward clarifying the Meaning of the Numbered Cats.

It might save some head-scratching, though, for Aaron to add a link at the top as you suggest. To save visual space, the link could even be embedded in the pertinent column titles.
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote