mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Old 2004-10-02, 16:32   #1
Mystwalker

Jul 2004
Potsdam, Germany

3×277 Posts
Question P-1 not "equal" to x curves ECM with same bounds?

Hi there!

So long, I thought (but was aware I'm not sure) that P-1 factoring finds any factor that is smooth enough to fit into the set bounds, whereas ECM has a certain percentage per run.
As a result, it would be useless to do ECM curves after a P-1 run with the same bounds.

But recently, I reread the gmp-ecm readme file, that contains:

Quote:
In summary, we advise the following method:
[...]
2 - run once P-1 with those B1 and B2
[...]
4 - run N(B1,B2,D) times ECM with those B1 and B2 [...]
Seems like my assumption was wrong, wasn't it?

P.S.:
What are the "benefits" of ECM vs. P-1? For one, computation time, of course. I guess memory requirements are lower as well.
How is the effort of doing the "expected number of curves" of a certain factor digit count vs. one P-1 run? (Of course, this question also depends on the main question of this topic...)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Last fiddled with by Mystwalker on 2004-10-02 at 16:34
Mystwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 17:44   #2
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

25·7·11 Posts

The confusion partly stems from a sloppy use of the term "smooth".

A number is called B-smooth if all its prime factors are <=B, or B1,B2-smooth if all prime factors are <=B1, except for possibly one >B1, but <=B2.

By that definition, the factors we find are almost never "smooth", because they are themselves prime and typically >B2! What has to be smooth is the order of the group we are working in.

For the P-1 method, the order of the group modulo the hidden prime factor p is p-1. Therefore, if p-1 is smooth, we find the factor.

For ECM, the group order is some number in the interval [p+1-2*sqrt(p), p+1+2*sqrt(p)]. What particular order we get depends on the sigma parameter of the curve. If we choose sigma at random, the order apparantly is also a randomly chosen integer from that interval (some details omitted).

So P-1 failing does not imply ECM failing with the same bounds at all - the group order which has to be smooth will be different in both cases. Furthermore, ECM lets us try many different orders by choosing a different sigma each time, until we hit one that is smooth enough. This is the major advantage of ECM over P-1: if the factorization of p-1 contains even one large prime, the P-1 method cannot discover the factor in a reasonable amount of time. With ECM, you can just keep trying different orders. I.e. almost all 50 digit primes are practically impossible to find with P-1, but can be discovered with ECM with an (expected) few months of cpu time.

P-1, otoh, is much faster in stage 1 and has a genuine advantage if a prime q is known to divide p-1, i.e. as is the case for factors of Mersenne numbers Mq. The memory requirements in stage 2 are, in theory, virtually the same, however some optimizations (i.e. avoiding a lot of extgcds in ECM which does not apply to P-1) benefit from more memory. I think the reason that Prime95 ECM uses much more memory than P-1 is that ECM is optimized for speed at the cost of memory, while P-1 is written with memory constraints in mind, on the rationale that ECM will be mostly done for small numbers while P-1 must work well for the huge numbers that later get tested for primality.

Alex
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote