mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2018-02-17, 12:11   #1
StechusKaktus

Feb 2018

22 Posts
Default Hardware Error after 1s

Hello Mersenneforum-people,

I downoaded this program to check my hardware since I am experiencing freezes on my computer. It happens mostly when starting a game, never when streaming something and occasionally when doing more extensive browsing.

Another CPU testing tool (Hot CPU Tester) did not run into any errors even after hours of running it. So I ruled out the CPU but now with Prime95 I experience errors after literally <1s. Either my PC freezes instantly or the workers turn red after about 1s (only works if I start less than 5)

After reading a bit in the stress.txt I was told to come here.

I ruled out the RAM (DIMM) by checking a few that I know work. So what I am left with is either a CPU or a power problem.

How do I figure out which one I need to buy? Or what additional diagnostics could I run to decide which one might be at fault?

Thank you so much
Denis
StechusKaktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-17, 13:06   #2
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

66618 Posts

Firstly make sure your machine is clean of dust.

Try running memtest86+ for several hours.

With regards to power supply, what are your specifications:
What CPU?
What GPU?
What PSU?

Answer these questions and we can help you further.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-17, 13:15   #3
StechusKaktus

Feb 2018

48 Posts

I have been doing all sorts of things already but you are right I should have included everything:

CPU: AMD FX Series FX-8320
GPU: GTX 1050ti
PSU: Real Power 750W (some noname thing)

It is almost prestine in regards to dust. Also I have been looking at the temperatures of all parts and they are well below critical when the error occurs.

I have been testing the ram with all sorts of programs but I have also bought new ones and used ones from another PC that I know work. So those are out.

I bought a new graphics card because I thought surely that was the reason, so the GPU is out too.

I can't not absolutely rule out the SSD that windows is runing on (my other HDD I can definatelly rule out though) but I have done extensive tests and why should Prime95 freeze my PC, or run into errors so quickly if it was "just" the ssd.

Thank you for you interest and feel free to ask for any and all information!
Denis

Last fiddled with by StechusKaktus on 2018-02-17 at 13:17
Old 2018-02-17, 13:29   #4
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

5×701 Posts

The PSU seems to be adequate, although a branded one would be better. You can buy testers for PSUs. Also have a look in BIOS to see if it is delivering tolerable voltages.

You say you have monitored CPU heat...

It could be a Windows driver problem. Maybe try out a live Ubuntu DVD without an installation and "install" to the live system mprime -- Linux version of Prime95. Or try booting UltimateCD which has mprime already on it plus some other diagnostic tools.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-02-17 at 13:35
Old 2018-02-17, 13:41   #5
StechusKaktus

Feb 2018

22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
You say you have monitored CPU heat...
I think have, yes. If you are implying something then I don't get it, sorry!

Redoing windows was the very first action I took (well after cleaning the dust) I even disabled windows updates to see if that was the culprit, which it wasnt.

The GPU seeeeems ok while in the bios.

Imma head out and get a new GPU if they'll let me return it if I can't use it. Otherwise I'll have to order online to use that sweet sweet returning for free service.

Denis
Old 2018-02-17, 13:46   #6
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

66618 Posts

When you did the windows install, did you install the drivers for the motherboard that comes on the CD supplied for you board or can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website?
Old 2018-02-17, 13:57   #7
heliosh

Oct 2017
++41

1758 Posts

Which mainboard do you have? Some have a special requirement for FX-8000 CPUs, to use downdraft heatsinks to have the voltage regulators in the air stream, because the VRM don't have adequate cooling.

Also, the PSU is crap and could cause all kind of problems.
heliosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-17, 14:03   #8
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

5·701 Posts

You could also try removing the GPU card and then run Prime95. If it succeeds it is most likely either the GPU or the PSU that is the problem. My money would be on the PSU being at fault.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-02-17 at 14:06
Old 2018-02-17, 16:15   #9
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

160768 Posts

IMO, prime95 stresses the FPU and memory. In stressing the FPU, the PSU and voltage regulators can be stressed (especially when "ramping up" voltage when the torture test starts). Prime95 also finds thermal problems after running for a little while -- though nowadays thermal problems just translate into throttling not freezing. Prime95 does not find GPU problems.

In my experience, 75% of the time the problem is the memory subsystem. Though most of my feedback is with Intel chips.

I know that some AMD chips did have a finicky integrated memory controller.

What you need to do: Don't go out and buy parts.

1) Try reducing RAM speed. Try overvolting the RAM. Try small FFT torture test. If any of these work, the RAM or integrated memory controller is the likely culprit.
2) Try underclocking or overvolting the CPU (slightly). If either works, it could be a CPU problem or maybe a PSU problem.
3) Try disabling BIOS power save features. I had an Intel CPU that would freeze trying to ramp up voltage for prime95.

As you've discovered, Prime95 can be good at finding out you have a problem, not so good at figuring out what the problem is.

Last fiddled with by Prime95 on 2018-02-17 at 16:23
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-17, 16:42   #10
StechusKaktus

Feb 2018

22 Posts

thanks everyone for the help, I did end up going out and buying both, a new power supply and a new cpu. I installed the power first because if that would have fixed the problem I could have handed the CPU back.

But as it turns out the CPU was just broken. I put in the new one and now everything works fine. prime 95 has been running for a while now and no freezes and no reds.

Thanks again for your time and help, I was too annoyed to fiddle with bios and ram frequenzies and what not and bought a new processor. My machine has been running for a few years and something breaking now is no big deal.

Good Look fnding those primes! I'll chip in a little too as thanks for having me :)
Denis

Last fiddled with by StechusKaktus on 2018-02-17 at 16:43
Old 2018-02-17, 16:49   #11
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

170316 Posts

The CPU probably just needed a reseat. That is always the first thing I do when I get a problem, reseat all the things that are removable/replaceable/pluggable.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2018-02-17 at 16:50
retina is online now   Reply With Quote