Old 2008-04-08, 11:36   #1
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts
Default tool to help with Top 5000 list

I've been thinking recently about how hard it is to pull up extra info on anything from the Top 5000 list (http://primes.utm.edu/primes/lists/all.txt) and how it would/should be pretty easy to make a Firefox extension or Greasemonkey script or web site or something that offers things like this:

Click on the prime's description to bring up info for that prime.

Something with the 'who' tag, I'm thinking you can click it and bring up a small box that shows the name, project, and program info, each linked (like the info at the very bottom, but linked, and of course easier to get to), as well as something to see other primes by that tag or person.

I'd like it to work as an AJAX thing, where you really stay on the Top 5000 list whatever you click on, just bringing it up in some sort of small box.

As a perfect example of how this would be useful, I was just trying to see the largest prime that was verified by Caldwell instead of External, so I had to open a tab on http://primes.utm.edu/primes/page.php, copy the first prime's description, paste it in, click search, then see it, press the back button, and repeat. With something like this, I could click the first one, see it, repeat.
I'm not sure how the windows you open up should close...perhaps when you move the mouse away, like Popups (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...igation_popups), if you're familiar with that (I think that Popups inspired a lot of this idea ). Or maybe permanent until you close it. Maybe only one window at a time.

I was wondering if anything like that exists or if anyone would be willing to make it.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 14:45   #2
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

102538 Posts

Old 2008-04-23, 15:37   #3
crash893

Sep 2002

23×37 Posts

that sounds like a really good idea

do you have any prototypes yet?
crash893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 15:19   #4
m_f_h

Feb 2007

24·33 Posts

I hijack this thread for something I proposed some time ago in a motivating context in the Happy Me(&al) thread but which could not be developed there (in addition to the problem that nobody nuderstood me, as usual...)
Now it can again be of current interest in this context, as I'll explain below.

(Fuzzy) statement of the problem:
given a list of competitors in a race, with current (ground) speed and mileage, give an estimation of the "rank speed", i.e. how many places a competitor will "win" or lose on the ranking list of positions per unit of time, as function of data of (some of) the neighbouring competitors.

Context: say I'm ranking #N in the top producers awards, but I have some more P90 CPU hrs/day than most neighbours, then I can expect my P90 CPU yrs to grow faster than theirs, thus I'll climb faster in the top producers awards list than they would.

Of course "everything can be calculated exactly" ; the "problem" (task) is rather to find a simple, "local" heuristical formula which gives a reasonable estimation. (Say, the "best" one can predict using a given number C of neighbours).

I agree that the task is not formulated very precisely, (that's why I might get flamed if I posted it in the Puzzle section...)

I could imagine that a simple formula might also be implemented in your Navigation popup (either in textual form, like "+9/month" or so, or even in graphical form, as a green up arrow or a red down arrow with length proportional to the estimated "rank speed").

Last fiddled with by m_f_h on 2008-04-25 at 15:20
m_f_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 17:43   #5
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

http://primes.utm.edu/primes/search.php?Number=5000
This page has the functionality of what I wanted, and it's already on primes.utm.edu. I guess I really don't need this tool after all.
Old 2008-05-04, 03:17   #6
crash893

Sep 2002

1001010002 Posts

If you havent had a chance you should take a look at vesion v5 of the server ( in beta) its got a lot or really neat features
crash893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 03:19   #7
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10000101010112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash893 View Post
If you havent had a chance you should take a look at vesion v5 of the server ( in beta) its got a lot or really neat features
I've seen that before, and it's cool 'n all, but this is for a very different thing. That's for info on GIMPS's search, this is for info on the discovered primes.