Old 2020-09-09, 03:00   #1475
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3·19·157 Posts

Quote:
I was informed today that our long-time contributor, Ian Gunn, aka MyDogBuster, died last week.
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showth...442#post556442

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2020-09-09 at 03:01
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-09, 13:42   #1476
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·1,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Aw, jeez, I didn't even know the guy, and I have tears running down my face.

My condolences to Ian Dunn's friends and family.

I had noted his steady stream of contributions to Conjectures 'R Us and No Prime Left Behind on the Forum.

I rummaged around online looking for anything outside the Forum, and found PRPnet rally at No Prime Left Behind project: January 3-10 which mentioned the following from the 2010 rally:
Quote:
Last rally, we had a surprise upset in the teams arena, with Raiders of the Lost Primes taking the championship title by a 20,000-test lead over PrimeSearchTeam (the victor in the previous two rallies). Most of the lead was due to one of our big contributors (Ian a.k.a. MyDogBuster) temporarily departing from his usual work at our sister project, Conjectures 'R Us, and making an appearance at the rally; whether he'll be here this time is known only to him, but PrimeSearchTeam may want to plan to bring some extra firepower to cover that contingency. ;-)
Rest in Peace, MyDogBuster.

This really has been the Year from Hell.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-10, 16:33   #1477
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

547 Posts
Default Diana Rigg

Who can ever forget her from "The Avengers" ?
She also married James Bond in one of the early movies and most recently appeared in "Game of Thrones"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Rigg

Last fiddled with by tServo on 2020-09-10 at 16:36
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-10, 17:27   #1478
carpetpool

"Sam"
Nov 2016

26·5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I'm really shook to see one of our own members on this forum pass away...

Everyone here is valuable even if we don't all know eachother.

RIP Ian
carpetpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-10, 18:38   #1479
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

F3A16 Posts
Default Diana Rigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
She also married James Bond in one of the early movies and most recently appeared in "Game of Thrones"

After watching, with undivided attention, Diana Rigg's Emma Peel in The Avengers, it was a bit of a shock to see her character in the TV series Mother Love, reviewed here. I'll bet she had a blast playing that role.

From the BBC obituary,
Quote:
In 2017, the 20-a-day smoker found herself seriously ill and undergoing a heart operation. During surgery, Rigg's heart stopped and her life hung by a thread. "The good Lord must have said, 'Send the old bag down again'," the devout Christian later told a journalist. "I'm not having her yet."
Old 2020-09-10, 20:54   #1480
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
After watching, with undivided attention, Diana Rigg's Emma Peel in The Avengers,
Yeah, me too. I was enthralled by the intricate plots and nuanced dialog.
It had nothing to do with Emma Peel's form-fitting black leather jump suit.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-11, 02:14   #1481
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1011810 Posts

Quote:

She was exceptional in Game of Thrones. Very engaging with her sharp tongue and successful machinations.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 15:19   #1482
Stargate38

"Daniel Jackson"
May 2011

23×7×11 Posts

Anyone kow what Ian Gunn's cause of death was? Just curious, as I couldn't find any info through a Google search (tried both his real name and his handle "MyDogBuster").
Stargate38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 16:56   #1483
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×5,059 Posts
Default Toots Hibbert death: Toots and the Maytals frontman dies, aged 77

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...y-b429941.html
Quote:
Toots Hibbert, the frontman of reggae group the Maytals, had died, aged 77.

The Jamaican singer "passed away peacefully" on 11 September "surrounded by his family at the University Hospital of the West Indies in Kingston, Jamaica", his family announced.

In a statement, his family and management team thanked "the medical teams and professionals for their care and diligence and [asked] that you respect their privacy during their time of grief".

His cause of death is currently unknown, but Hibbert was hospitalised for suspected Covid-19 on 2 September. The results of his tests were unannounced.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 20:13   #1484
jwaltos

Apr 2012

349 Posts

Quote:

I'll always remember her and Macnee as "The Avengers"....especially her. I barely recognized her in the Game of Thrones. At Sardi's (NYC) she's shown in one of the plays she was in. A loss but she had a good ride.
jwaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-12, 21:50   #1485
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

389810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaltos View Post
I'll always remember her and Macnee as "The Avengers"....especially her. I barely recognized her in the Game of Thrones. At Sardi's (NYC) she's shown in one of the plays she was in. A loss but she had a good ride.
John Steed and and Emma Peel were such popular characters, they were parodied in contemporary TV series.

The episode "Run, Robot, Run" (first aired 16 March 1968) in Get Smart featured an obvious send-up of the pair -- Mr. Sneed and Mrs. Neal. They were KAOS operatives from the Contrived Accidents Division (CAD).