mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2013-04-27, 03:46   #144
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3·11·269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
Just if you want to know, I think Team_Inspector is Uncwilly
For all of the P-1 work that I am exchanging, I am pulling from GPUto72. The user name on GPUto72 is my forum user name.
The graph here shows my rise to 285 GHz-days.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 04:46   #145
bcp19

Oct 2011

67910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis Wyler View Post
I'm all for hatin' on the haters, but to be fair (pointless, I know) if we can't do all exponents to 74 and still meet the required hit rate, doing all the exponents to 74 is unsustainable. Truth. If his unstated implication that we can't do all the exponents to 74 and still meet the hit rate were true then devoting all of our efforts to 74 would be unsustainable (though still the right thing to do!) same as using up more of resource than we can generate is unsustainable regardless of our current stores.
We aren't doing all exp to ^74 though. As Chalsall pointed, there are over 9,900 exponents TF'd to 73 between 60M and 63M ready to be handed out with about 5200 64M+ already TF'd to 74. Seems to me we must be doing something right, cause it seems we were between 36 and 45 days ahead before and now are over 60.
bcp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 23:58   #146
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

932210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
Yep.
And furthermore, I seem to do it effortlessly without a GPU.

DOWN THE HATCH
Go back to your bottle David, and let the "men" man the ship.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 12:46   #147
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

6,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis Wyler View Post
But really he's just pissing in the wind here because he knows we don't have the discipline to point 100% of our effort at any one thing anyway.
If we did, it might matter one little whit what the hell he was going on about wrt setting the mark at 74.

Truth.
He is careful to point out that he is referring to first time LL tests in the 50M-70M range.
It so happens that the vast majority of resources are concentrated here, and there is a simple reason why this might be so:

It is the only sensible lottery to join if you wish to find a Mersenne prime (or, more likely, feel you have contributed in a small way towards it).

A viable alternative could be DCs.
If the expos were about 1/3 the size of first time LLs, your daily chance of finding a prime would be comparable.
But alas Garo, BCP19 et loads of al (milestone chasers for instance) insist on "Compressing the wavefront". See the first sentence of Chalsall's mission statement on the GPUto72 homepage.

D

BTW "Pissing in the wind" is my copyright, and refers to TFing 80M+ expos to 71 bits.
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 13:21   #148
bcp19

Oct 2011

7×97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
He is careful to point out that he is referring to first time LL tests in the 50M-70M range.
It so happens that the vast majority of resources are concentrated here, and there is a simple reason why this might be so:

It is the only sensible lottery to join if you wish to find a Mersenne prime (or, more likely, feel you have contributed in a small way towards it).

A viable alternative could be DCs.
If the expos were about 1/3 the size of first time LLs, your daily chance of finding a prime would be comparable.
But alas Garo, BCP19 et loads of al (milestone chasers for instance) insist on "Compressing the wavefront". See the first sentence of Chalsall's mission statement on the GPUto72 homepage.

D

BTW "Pissing in the wind" is my copyright, and refers to TFing 80M+ expos to 71 bits.
I have told you time and again I could care less about milestones, so stop your insinuations. I have a goal that is incompatible with your narrowminded way of thinking, and I am sick and tired of the pile of horse manure that streams daily from your mouth. If you falsely accuse me one more time I will petition for your banning from this forum, and it that fails I will leave GIMPS. I don't spend my time, effort, or expense to be derided by you.
Old 2013-04-28, 13:41   #149
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

6,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp19 View Post
I have told you time and again I could care less about milestones, so stop your insinuations. I have a goal that is incompatible with your narrowminded way of thinking, and I am sick and tired of the pile of horse manure that streams daily from your mouth. If you falsely accuse me one more time I will petition for your banning from this forum, and it that fails I will leave GIMPS. I don't spend my time, effort, or expense to be derided by you.
Hmmm.
Before I can start to apologise, I have to get some idea of what is upsetting you.

As far as I can see (and certainly intended) the only thing I "accused" you of in this post was assisting the advancement of DCs to such a level that they are
1) No longer nice and quick for newbie/slower GIMPS participants to do.
2) A sensible hunting ground for new Mersenne primes.

I expect you have noticed that I enjoy the "craick" of Mersenneforum immensely, and that the standards of moderation are absolutely superb.

It would be a pity if a man of your enthusiasm were lost from the project, but in the light of some of your more vitriolic remarks, I cannot say I would miss you for very long.

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 14:08   #150
BigBrother

Feb 2005
The Netherlands

2·109 Posts

Quote:
Where is this petition? Where do I sign?

In the meantime, just put him on the ignore list. He's not worth your time.
BigBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 14:45   #151
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

87916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
Where is this petition? Where do I sign?

In the meantime, just put him on the ignore list. He's not worth your time.
+1. If he really ticks you off, just ignore him. I would too but I consider him as "self-amusement".
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 14:49   #152
bcp19

Oct 2011

7×97 Posts

Various Davieddy comments:

Quote:
The chance of finding a prime per year by LLing 66M expos is 125 times greater than LLing 332M expos.
WAKE UP BCP, KLADNER, CHALSALL and the rest of you non-believers.
Beware of false prophets.

Glancing through the range of a billion, the only significant source of extra GPU fire power is from the grossly excessive DC-TF of which the self-styled "king" BCP19 is so proud (3000/week to 70 bits I ASK YOU).

Yep.
If the DC-TF effort was supposed to encourage newcomers to do DCs, it would be laudable, although when a factor is found it reduces the quick DCs available.
Unfortunately their motives are less altruistic:
1) They want to perform the DC themselves.
2) They like to find cheap factors (albeit not as cheap as those in the range you seem obsessed with).
3) They are obsessed with the countdown to milestones.

But alas Garo, BCP19 et loads of al (milestone chasers for instance) insist on "Compressing the wavefront".

3) I think I implicitly included myself in the "dabbler" class, especially when addressing BCP"BigIron"19.

As far as I can see (and certainly intended) the only thing I "accused" you of in this post was assisting the advancement of DCs to such a level that they are
1) No longer nice and quick for newbie/slower GIMPS participants to do.
2) A sensible hunting ground for new Mersenne primes.
This list is likely not complete, but you have either implied or flat-out called me a milestone hunter(twice), a non believer chasing false prophets, lumped me into groups that I do not participate in, a self styled king grossly overperforming DCTF, a cheap factor hunter, and now in your latest post, a DC hog robbing the newbies and slowpokes.

You constantly tell us we are wasting our time "because we are not following your tenants" so that a new prime will be found within 4 years, but it is OUR time (and money) to waste and frankly NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

It's no wonder that I end up making snide comments to you, considering how many slurs you make upon my character and integrity and your coy little digs into the work I do, then innocently go "Who, me?" when called on it.

You're supposed to be one of the 'elders' here. Grow up and act like it.

Last fiddled with by bcp19 on 2013-04-28 at 14:51
Old 2013-04-28, 18:08   #153
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

22×7×31 Posts

Quote:
Please don't let this nattering nabob of negativity get to you...
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 18:59   #154
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

273F16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Please don't let this nattering nabob of negativity get to you...
@ Pete:
Indeed. Just leave him to wallow in his own excrement. Your supporters far outnumber your detractor.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote