mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2014-10-08, 19:48   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default Cyanogen mod on Sony Tablet S

First off, it's okay to call me a moron as long as you're helpful afterward. Anyway...

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to try to switch my Sony Tablet S(with an expired warranty) over to cyanogen mod. I haven't done any research, and no I don't expect you guys to do any hand-holding, but I was wondering if you guys think I should attempt it at all.

All I know for sure is that I want my next tablet to be a Cyanogen mod tablet. But should I just keep my Sony tablet and "upgrade" it, or buy a new tablet? Gaming isn't hugely important to me, I'm more about e-books, web and video.

Also, and I'm not sure if this exists, if there's a screen that's reflective(no need for a backlight) with text and only needs a backlight for video, please tell me. Optimally, a reflective video screen would be awesome, but I don't think those exist yet.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 22:38   #2
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·2,909 Posts

If that is what you want then do it. If you fail to upgrade it then you can always replace it which was your other option anyway.
It looks a fairly good tablet still. Assuming the battery is not worn out with age the only real fault I can see is that the cpu is dual core and a little slow compared with more modern hardware. This could lead to it being slightly sluggish.
I would keep that tablet rather than replacing it.

As far as I know all screens for android need a backlight. Electric paper that was used in the original kindle was only black and white and wikipedia suggests that full colour is not yet possible.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 21:49   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

If a mod is reading this, could you please change the title to "Have questions about buying a tablet". Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz
As far as I know all screens for android need a backlight. Electric paper that was used in the original kindle was only black and white and wikipedia suggests that full colour is not yet possible.
Thanks for the response Henryzz, I guess I have to wait a little while longer before my "perfect" tablet is available. :)

Next question for the forum, loosely connected to the electronic paper question. If my intention is to use a tablet like a literal sheet of paper(but not just that) are there tablets to use with a stylus for under $600 that have good accuracy and can write in pencil thin, or maybe slightly fatter, lines?

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2014-10-10 at 21:49
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote