Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Aliquot Sequences

Old 2009-03-16, 09:31   #1
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

84A16 Posts
Question Thoughts on the form of the forum

Welcome to the new sub-forum. Excuse the mess, we're still unpacking.

I guess we'll have to work out how we want to arrange things. I think the first step will be getting some stickies with pointers to explanations, articles, programs, other interesting stuff, etc.

Do we want to go with one thread per sequence or would a couple of threads with available work, reservations and status, "wanted" work, etc be better?

Let me know what you think.....
schickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 10:56   #2
axn

Jun 2003

23×607 Posts

I am guessing stickies for
Quote:
Originally Posted by schickel View Post
available work, reservations and status, "wanted" work
and user-created threads for detailed status reporting (one thread per sequence), would be the way to go.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 16:57   #3
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schickel View Post
Do we want to go with one thread per sequence or would a couple of threads with available work, reservations and status, "wanted" work, etc be better?
I guess we could go either way. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that though one thread per sequence may be manageable at this point, as the project grows it's going to be harder and harder to keep track of all this stuff. How about we do a sort of hybrid system: one thread for each 10k range? That is, one thread for sequences <100000, one for 100000-110000, one for 110000-120000, etc. all the way up to 200000. Each thread would have a table in its first post keeping track of all the information relevant to the sequences in its range, and users would report reservations, statuses, and progress in the subsequent posts of that thread.

I also like your idea of a list of currently "wanted" work--maybe we could have a special thread for that, and then in that thread link to the thread for the specific range the "wanted" sequence is in?
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 17:50   #4
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·2,909 Posts

i am all for one thread per sequence
if it gets too much for one mod to handle we can enlist another
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 17:56   #5
10metreh

Nov 2008

232210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
i am all for one thread per sequence
if it gets too much for one mod to handle we can enlist another
And who could that be?

(I remember Max's little smile when he mentioned other mods.)
10metreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 18:22   #6
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10metreh View Post
And who could that be?

(I remember Max's little smile when he mentioned other mods.)
LOL--actually, no subtext was intended when I inserted that smiley. Sometimes I wonder if I use smilies just a wee bit too much...

Regarding doing one thread per sequence, though, it actually wasn't moderator resources that I was thinking about when I said that it might be too much to keep track of as this project grows; I was thinking more in terms of just having way too many threads around, all of which would be somewhat low-intensity. Quite frankly, I think it would be much more efficient to have things combined a bit more.
Old 2009-03-16, 18:29   #7
10metreh

Nov 2008

232210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
LOL--actually, no subtext was intended when I inserted that smiley. Sometimes I wonder if I use smilies just a wee bit too much...

Regarding doing one thread per sequence, though, it actually wasn't moderator resources that I was thinking about when I said that it might be too much to keep track of as this project grows; I was thinking more in terms of just having way too many threads around, all of which would be somewhat low-intensity. Quite frankly, I think it would be much more efficient to have things combined a bit more.
I'm split on the issue of threads ATM. To the smiley: .
I also don't know who would be a good second mod.
Well, you know what I'm thinking, don't you?
Old 2009-03-16, 18:31   #8
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

10110101110102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post

what's the problem with 10 threads with new posts in each day?
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 18:46   #9
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
what's the problem with 10 threads with new posts in each day?
Well, right now it may only be 10 threads, which is fine, but what about when it's 20? 50? Once you start getting that many, you'll have active sequences getting their threads pushed onto page 2, which is definitely not ideal. And besides, most of the threads *wouldn't* be being posted in each day--from what I've seen most people here update their sequences at a frequency of 3-10 days, depending on their rate of progress.
Old 2009-03-16, 18:49   #10
10metreh

Nov 2008

2×33×43 Posts

Quote:
Well, you know what I'm thinking, don't you?
I was only going to wait a few minutes before revealing what I actually wrote. (It was in white on the original post.)

Last fiddled with by 10metreh on 2009-03-16 at 18:50
Old 2009-03-16, 18:50   #11
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

[quote=10metreh;165627]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10metreh View Post
Well, you know what I'm thinking, don't you?[/quote]

I was only going to wait a few minutes before revealing what I actually wrote. (It was in white on the original post.)
I'm not sure I quite get your drift. Are you referring to yourself, or to me, or to some other third person?